Sign in to follow this  
easypops

help....which is the inlet cam?

hi all , as posted recently i'm considering doing my kr cam fitting diy style :D . the thing is after opening the cams i suddenly realise that i dont even know which is the inlet cam :oops:

so i would be most grateful if someone with the knowledge could point out which is which before i open things up :lol:

thanks as always martin

The longer one is the exhaust cam mate

thanks mate ,thats a help. now i just need to decide whether to give it a go or not :?

Yeah go for it, take some pics...do a writeup then i'll do mine :wink:

Yeah go for it, take some pics...do a writeup then i'll do mine :wink:

if i do do it i'll take a lot of pics....and it will probably end up a' what not to do guide' :oops: :lol:

Do it mate, I wouldn't bother changing the exhaust cam unless the new one is in better nick, KR and 9A the same. It's a nice simple job that'll get your confidence up. Few tips:

• saying that, if you are swapping the exhaust one in, I found it easier to loosen off the cam sprocket whilst everything's still attached, it's a bastard when out - obviously put the car in gear though![/*:m:723a7]
  • replace the chain and rocker gasket - you may aswell[/*:m:723a7]
  • replace the timing belt and tensioner if mileage unknown, only another few quid[/*:m:723a7]
  • DON'T over tighten the rocker cover bolts, they love to bugger the thread up. if you do[/*:m:723a7]
  • The cam marks don't necessarily look 100% lined up but if you tweak them round a bit, you'll see that the marks line up, one tooth out either way will be blatantly obvious - look for a post about cams by quicky1980, he put a pic up in that thread.[/*:m:723a7]

Do it mate, I wouldn't bother changing the exhaust cam unless the new one is in better nick, KR and 9A the same. It's a nice simple job that'll get your confidence up. Few tips:

• saying that, if you are swapping the exhaust one in, I found it easier to loosen off the cam sprocket whilst everything's still attached, it's a bastard when out - obviously put the car in gear though![/*:m:857a1]
  • replace the chain and rocker gasket - you may aswell[/*:m:857a1]
  • replace the timing belt and tensioner if mileage unknown, only another few quid[/*:m:857a1]
  • DON'T over tighten the rocker cover bolts, they love to bugger the thread up. if you do[/*:m:857a1]
  • The cam marks don't necessarily look 100% lined up but if you tweak them round a bit, you'll see that the marks line up, one tooth out either way will be blatantly obvious - look for a post about cams by quicky1980, he put a pic up in that thread.[/*:m:857a1]

thanks for the tips mate, the timing belt and tensioner were done 8500 miles ago, but i have bought new ones anyway. the thing is i dont have a clue what to do with or even where the tensioner goes. so i think i might do the cam...reuse old timing belt...then get local garage to do the timing situation as its mot time next week anyway, and i have a set of coilovers to go on :D

If you know for a fact that it was done then, then don't bother...just change the inlet cam.

When you say take it to a garage to do the timing what do you mean? are you going to push or tow it? Running a valver with the timing out really isn't a good thing.

ok.... i am doing the cams right now,13.45 friday, i have taken the top off of the engine and i am ready to set about the cams

the thing is i'm not sure what happens when i take them out. how will i know where to put them back....ie what way do the lobes face????

there are 2 circles on the sprockets where the chain go on......where should they be before i go ahead? facing each other or at the top?

cheers all.....hoping for guidance :D