Sign in to follow this  
bishoprado

blanking boost return why?

need some advice chaps, ive heard bout blanking the boost return on the G. But before i think bout doing this wots the pros and cons? Ive heard good and bad things bout this.

please help

cheers

Pro's: 1:Stops the hot "charged" air being pumped back into the G60 when you lift off the go peddle, meaning your charger will run

cooler as will your "charged" air.

2:Gets rid of one of those plastic pipe's meaning you have a bit more room to manover in the bay :-)

Cons: 1:Your G60 will need a squrt of Lube every now and then as its not getting lubricated by the oil mist from the block breather

hose any more.

2:You will need to get a catch tank on the end of your block breather hose to collect the oil mist or there will be oil everywhere under

your bonnet in no time.

There is probably loads more of both, but there is a start for you :-)

Dan

just reiterating the points, after a good thrash the charger still stays relatively cool where as before it would be as hot as the engine! you get a little woosh sound when releasing full throttle. i squirt some lube from G-werks in there once a month and have just put a filter on the breather hose and its fine, no oil problems but then every G does differ. i recommend it but its your choice! 8)

i squirt some lube from G-werks in there once a month

Darren's now selling his own 'lube'? :gag:

Is there nothing that man won't do in the name of the G60 .... ?

just curious if you fellas thought the pro's out weighed the cons,i.e have you blocked off your chargers?

I did at one stage but then someone convinced me to put it back to standard.

lol, yeah i heard darrens lube was the best so thats what i went for!!

i see the benefits that the charger is just drawing in cooler fresh air rather than the hot unused vented air, hence why the charger stays so much cooler, which is a good thing. with a larger fmic the intake temps may not be any different with or with out the charger blanked but keeping the charger cool surely is a good thing!

im quite prepared to oil the charger once a month and i like the noise it makes. each to their own i suppose. on my last rolling road it made 170Bhp and 178Lbs/ft at the wheels which isn't bad so i don't think its doing any harm 8)

If you guys keep banging on about Darrens Lube you will get Tom all excited an wanting to start a group buy! :lol:

cheers no worries ill ask him, althou think his lube is abit expensive, can get sum stuff from the chemist alot cheaper.... :lol:

just curious if you fellas thought the pro's out weighed the cons,i.e have you blocked off your chargers?

I did at one stage but then someone convinced me to put it back to standard.

I had mine blanked off for a while. Got fed up of a nice oil mist in the engine bay, then got fed up of emptying an oil catch tank every few weeks (as it was mostly water), also got fed up of the constant whistle from the underside of the throttle body. Got a silencer from Darren which got rid of the noise and made a big difference, but the oil mist was still annoying.

I've now put my pipework back on. It's now less intrusive noise wise, no oil vapour, and no perceptible loss in performance. The only thing I miss is the slight dump valve like sound when changing gear.

Im gonna stop lubing my charger up...

Removed it not long ago to re-seal the rsr outlet...the amount of built up grease was horrible! It made the polish/porting of the charger and outlet seem pointless! :?

Plus,surely vw didn't intent for the engine to breathe heavy and then to lube the charger? Can't have had much effect on a new engine?

Plus i thought the apex strips were self lubing anyway? and any grease will just get pushed aside? Dunno...i just wonder if the lube will sort of glaze the apex strips and lose compression?

Neil.