Sign in to follow this  
samg60

vr6 golf ratios

juts bought a golf vr6 gearbox engine code AAA form fleabay, can anyone give me the ratios of this box, tried search couldnt find anything, not that bothereed if they are similar to the g60 or corrado vr box just need soemthing to get on it at the mo as the 300lb/ft is killing the diff in my current one.

cool found them.

# 1st Gear 33:10 = 3.300

# 2nd Gear 35:18 = 1.944

# 3rd Gear 34:26 = 1.308

# 4th Gear 30:29 = 1.034

# 5th Gear 31:37 = 0.836

# Final Drive 61:18 = 3.389

Not bad really didnt know the VR had nice tall gears like this

I have the ratios down differently:-

1 - 3.78

2 - 2.12

3 - 1.46

4 - 1.03

5 - 0.84

FD - 3.39:1

Steve@ is right, the stock FD is too tall for a normally asp' VR (imo), but should work OK with your turbo's torque. At 7000rpm, you will be hitting 173mph if your engine has the guts to over come the wind resistance, which it should if the turbo is big enough :-)

I have the shorter 3.68 FD in mine from the G60 box and it works superbly with a turbo too, imo. Especially in 5th on the motorway. You pull away from tailgaters like they've hit the end of their bungee cord.

There's always strings attached and those strings are a reduced top end (about 154mph), but 300 yards is enough to make your point from 70mph ;-), and fun and games with traction in 2nd and 3rd in the wet, even with a diff.....but a car that doesn't fight back is no fun!

yeah can't believe my luck, only bid on it as it was a reasonable price and now I don't have to look for a diesel box, infact the ratios are perfect, and for whats planned in the next 12 months shouldnt have a problem of hitting top end although cant say I ever want to.

balls, bit of a nightmare, just found out that vr6 boxes dont bolt straight up to 1.8t, bellhousing is different, so looks like I will be swapping the internals over. Still I fancied finding out how to to do this, so looks like I am now forced to find out :shock:

Joe M has a VR box with a quaiffe fitted for sale right now - in exchange for another VR box - bit more expensive - and too late by the sounds of it...

Thanks Leon, yeah saw that, but its a bit more than I want to spend at the mo. this one only cost me £155 so figure it will do for another 5000 miles until I can throw a better diff at it.

right then sorted box transfer complete just need to get it back on the car. getting the bugger off was more of a pain in the arse than opening them and transfering the gears over. (assuming it still works when I get it back on the car.)

Couldnt work out how to do this by just changing the bellhousing so ended up following the bentley manual and doing it all properly.

also had to sort out 5th gear syncro by combining parts from both boxes but seems to be fine.

anyhow heres a pic mid progress

Hi Leon, to be honest mate I have done a lot worse, its pretty straight forward. (Thats assuming it still works when I put it back on, but I can select all gears and the diff feels right so hopefully all should be well, couple of issues were that fifth gear synchro was a bit knackered on the Vr box and I managed to damage the g60 one with the puller (stupid I know but there are sutble differences bewteen the boxes and I hadnt removed teh top washer on the g60 box so the puller wasnt pulling but rather snapping the gear :( ) so had to make the best of both, which turns out to be fine (i think :-))

but all in all it was pretty straight forward although the smell of gear oil can become a bit much after two days. Anyhow wish us luck when I get it back on

Hi Leon, to be honest mate I have done a lot worse, its pretty straight forward. (Thats assuming it still works when I put it back on, but I can select all gears and the diff feels right so hopefully all should be well, couple of issues were that fifth gear synchro was a bit knackered on the Vr box and I managed to damage the g60 one with the puller (stupid I know but there are sutble differences bewteen the boxes and I hadnt removed teh top washer on the g60 box so the puller wasnt pulling but rather snapping the gear :( ) so had to make the best of both, which turns out to be fine (i think :-))

but all in all it was pretty straight forward although the smell of gear oil can become a bit much after two days. Anyhow wish us luck when I get it back on

Agreed I hate the sickly smell of it. Good stuff though - you'd be amazed at what's possible when you just try. Let us know if it all works. Bet you're still enjoying the engine change?

right then blinking heck, got the box back on the car and started it still with the car on axle stands with one of the front wheels off, and it started making horrid noise which seemed to be coming form gearbox, so after a few attempts just checking everything thought i should get the box off, I located a short ratio box similar to g60 one from a passat a and spent all day yesterday getting it off the passat and on to the C only to find that when I had finished that the noise was still there, turned out to be the drive shaft was catching or something when it was on axle stands, which means the box I built was probably fine (gutted) anyhow now I have the C back on the road I am going to take the time and rebuild the box again but this time swap one or two of the ratios between the CCM box and the g60 item. (just a bit annoyed with myself that I didnt check the car on the level before removing the box.) but you live and learn

yeah that must be irritating. but now you know...

let us know what ratios you go - I'm starting to think seriously about sourcing 1.8t parts - and the gearbox choice seems a bit unclear to me at the moment

yeah certainly will Leon, been out playing with the car today and am going to need a gearbox pretty soon , fifth is like thrid at the mo. cannot praise the 1.8t Senough to be honest with you. So much power and torque available. thinking of keeping the CCM ratios but while I am at it may like to find an even higher ratio 5th and may have access to a diesel box off a passat shortly so will have a good think.

depends on what your plans are with the 20v as to ratio choice but if your like me enough is never enough and therefore the longest ratios you can get the better. as at the moment with 300hp I am running out of gear in an instant even with fifth so god knows what 400hp will be like.

sorry ben been at your house again and used your login :D

LOL that was confusing!

Well this month getting brakes and arbs sorted - a bit of paintwork - and next month i may be looking at sourcing parts for later this year. i remember you highly praising it a while ago - is it the bam engine you've got? have you ever looked into a 6 speed close ratio setup? thats probably what i'd be interested in most

defo keep us posted.

and if you've used anywhere online for info other than qpeng then pls share! have questions regarding engine management etc...

regarding engine management, I'm running DTA and can't recommend vince highly enough, I only have the the EXP 48 but have none of the accociated running problems from cold. and I think there new S range of products offer many new features.

vince from stealth? almost default to think that now isnt it...

was that always in your car?

Finally got round to sorting my car out, managed to get a CTN gearbox for my car £70 buzzing, as I wanted to rebuild the CCM one with new bearings and an LSD next year and had been running a crap passat 8v box (awful), anyhow got the box on and love the car again, however its now quite mental, all the longer ratios really compliment the 20v very well and as it comes on boost in fifth at about 90mph at around 3200rpm it takes off, and speeds well into three figures are effortless. does anyone knnow if LSD are available for these boxes.

I was one up in my car against my mates new spec M3 the other day and pretty much destroyed it, some may have been driver ability, but it wasnt even close.

Nah mate, never made it to Inters, car has been pretty much off the road for the last three months, I knew about the CTN box for a while now but have had so much do I havent had a chance to sort it, but came across this box on ebay and got it for a bargain price. But am now very glad I did.

as for changing boxes I am now a dab hand at it, got mine on and off the other day with a mate in about 3 hours, all bolts back in etc ready to drive, it used to take me a full day, and thats without ramps, just two trolley jacks.

:-)

2nd is pretty much useless unless you feather it carefully, it will still spin in third if your not careful...

With either of those 1st 3 gears i would be getting straight into my torque curve.

You get more and more into the boxes.

I didn't want to hear your still spinning in 2nd though and 3rd sometimes, is it a lot or a little?