Sign in to follow this  
VRTrickster

OBD2 Conversion Time

you will need to fiddle with the wiring to get the aux pump working mate....ring me.

Hello,

I'm currently in the middle of giving my new golf loom a 'hair cut' and have got to a point where the two looms seem very similar now. However, there does seem to be a couple of extra connections on the rado loom that golf one now doesn't (well, never had), for example a black quite large square plug which looks like a relay plugs into it. What am I supposed to do; take this cabling and connector out of the rado loom and add it to the golf one or... well i don't have any other ideas actually :(

Any help would be gratefully received. Oh, also, what 'fiddling' needs to be done to get the aux pump to work?

Thanks

Jim

Do you have both wiring diagrams for both vehicles? If you dont, you could really do with them as they will help you out no end with what is what. And what you dont need on the golf loom. With the aux pump I used the diagram to find out what wires controlled it and removed something from the Corrado loom. Im unsure of what it was as it was quite a while ago now sorry.

Do you have both wiring diagrams for both vehicles? If you dont, you could really do with them as they will help you out no end with what is what. And what you dont need on the golf loom. With the aux pump I used the diagram to find out what wires controlled it and removed something from the Corrado loom. Im unsure of what it was as it was quite a while ago now sorry.

I have the Bentley Corrado workshop manual which has all of the wiring diagrams and a exploded view diagram of the golf loom and a key which goes with the diagram but unfortunately, because I suffer with a syndrome commonly known as 'stupid' I have trouble understanding the bentley diagrams. It all seems a bit foreign to me. A corrado version of the blown up golf diagram would be useful if anyone has one?

Thanks for the advice

Jim

I am wanting to the obd2 conversion to mine and there is a few questions i cant seem to find the answsers to,hopefully you can help me out:

1) Do i need the keys/transponder for the conversion?? or is it just the ecu?

2)Will my SP 263's still work with it??(havent fitted them yet anyway)

3)why does the later inlet manifold need to be used??

Cheers

1. you can get the immobiliser function from the new ECU deleted so keep your original keys.

2. yes, cams still work well

3. the obd2 throttle body is different and therefore mounts to the manifold in a different way. i think it can be bodged but it wont be an issue just getting the right one as you're getting all the other bits too.

Thanks for that, i think i will definately do the conversion then, seems like a worthwhile mod. I read somewhere that the price for the bits should be around the £175-£200 mark? is this still accurate?

all these topics about obd2 are tempting me. I have my engine out atthe moment, if i had the bits i would convert my car over the weekend. Anyone want to sell me the obd2 bits :D

bigpants baby is the person that has normally sold them on here

fixing up the wiring is no simple job to do well though - i've seen some fairly rough jobs!

all these topics about obd2 are tempting me. I have my engine out atthe moment, if i had the bits i would convert my car over the weekend. Anyone want to sell me the obd2 bits :D

Zak my friend i was just thinking the same thing lol but what is it worth all the hassle for what gains???? probably is lol and WHY didnt VW do this to the Rado hey this and 288mm brake when the Rado was the flagship model!!!!

bigpants baby is the person that has normally sold them on here

fixing up the wiring is no simple job to do well though - i've seen some fairly rough jobs!

I quite enjoy wiring, if it works when im finished that is!lol!

I have the bentley manual for the rado so that will have the diagrams for that and the golf one wont be hard to find i wouldnt of thought.

Is there a list of all the parts somewhere? it mentions a list on page 1 of this thread but there isnt a list?? :shrug:

Main issues as i see it are, imoboliser defeat or workaround ie swap keys or tie the key to the transponder. then wiring :) Wiring would involve stripping down and sorting the golf loom out as it requires extending and splicing in a few places which i'm not afraid if doing.Doing it well would be easier as i have my engine out at the moment, If i had the parts or could get them soon i would attempt it, i need my engine back in and car running again in the next week or so. I never plan these things so its unlikely

Chris its all in the hope of getting the engine to run that much better and smoother with slightly better performance and economy. I decided to keep my car for another year so want to make the most of it :)

fair play mate, let us know if you do it. for me its originality as mines done 77k on the clock and so far all my improvements have been bolt on jobs dont want to butcher about such an original car. But not sure if it would worry people that much if i was to sell it!! Zak why have you the engine out for buddy??

77k :luvlove: i'm nearly on 200k :grin:

The engines out for a few reasons, gearbox was giving me problems so had to fit a replacement, aswell as that i had a few oil leaks to invesitgate so it was easier to wheel the engine out the front and clean it all up and refit back :) I'm planning on refitting the engine and box back on sunday. Think i will leave obd2 for now as i don't think i can source the parts quickly enough, it would have been nice to do as the engine was out the way making the servo easier to remove so i could feed the loom through.

Really boring post sorry but I need help!!!

I'm now on the final straight and hopefully just about to finish to the changes to the OBD2 loom. Quite a technical question for you or anybody else reading this:

I have the Corrado Bentley workshop manual so I have the pin layout for the T68 ECM connector but I don't have one for the Golf VR6 loom that I have so I can't find out an answer to this issue. For data transfer on the corrado there is a two pin connector with grey/white & Yellow cable coming from it. I have followed these back to the T68 connector at pins 43 (Grey/White) and pin 21 (Yellow). On the Golf loom there is a Grey/White cable going back to pin 43 but no yellow cable at all and no pin in slot 21 on the ECM connector.

What the hell do I connector the yellow cable to that I'm going to transfer from the rado to the golf loom???

Does anybody have a pin diagram for the Golf VR6 ECM (I think it's a '96). It must have two data transfer pins surely?

Many thanks for any help!!

Jim

I'm now on the final straight and hopefully just about to finish to the changes to the OBD2 loom. Quite a technical question for you or anybody else reading this:

I have the Corrado Bentley workshop manual so I have the pin layout for the T68 ECM connector but I don't have one for the Golf VR6 loom that I have so I can't find out an answer to this issue. For data transfer on the corrado there is a two pin connector with grey/white & Yellow cable coming from it. I have followed these back to the T68 connector at pins 43 (Grey/White) and pin 21 (Yellow). On the Golf loom there is a Grey/White cable going back to pin 43 but no yellow cable at all and no pin in slot 21 on the ECM connector.

What the hell do I connector the yellow cable to that I'm going to transfer from the rado to the golf loom???

Does anybody have a pin diagram for the Golf VR6 ECM (I think it's a '96). It must have two data transfer pins surely?

Jim

Did you find any answers to your wiring problems Jim?

I'm close to doing this conversion myself but have a feeling I may be underestimating the wiring problems/skills.

Am I right in thinking its just the fusebox->ecu->multiplug loom that needs altering?

Do you just use the complete OBD2 engine loom?

Jim

Did you find any answers to your wiring problems Jim?

I'm close to doing this conversion myself but have a feeling I may be underestimating the wiring problems/skills.

Am I right in thinking its just the fusebox->ecu->multiplug loom that needs altering?

Do you just use the complete OBD2 engine loom?

I found my answer on the Canadian owners forum of all places. Yeah it's just the main loom from the ECU that needs a 'haircut'. I've finished (well I think I have) sorting out my loom but have left it unbound on the car as I can't test it until the engine is back in etc which will be a while I'm afraid.

I can help you out with diagrams if you need them as I bought EKTA of ebay which was really helpful once you get the hang of it. Also, if you're like me, I struggled to understand the wiring diagrams in the Bentley manual (if you have one at that is) but it's worth persisting and learning how to read the diagrams. It really helps when you're trying to work out what stuff does.

If you get stuck, give me a shout. Where did you get the OBD2 Loom from (what car/year etc).

Jim