Bups

Corrado windscreen

Not sure what section this goes in but Is there anyone who can supply and fit a Corrado windscreen for a reasonable price in the leicestershire area?? Thanks for any help :)

Go through your insurers, prob £50 or so and it wont affect your no-claims. IIRC a new screen is around £1000

Go through your insurers, prob £50 or so and it wont affect your no-claims. IIRC a new screen is around £1000

:shock: :shock: :shock: Will give my insurance a call i think! Thanks for the reply :)

hi got my windscreen through my insurance and it cost me £60.00 .

i asked how much it would have cost and the said it was around £400.00 for the glass and 3 hours labour and would require 2 staff so the charge would be around £30.00 per hour per person.

so going through the insurance is the way to go.

just if you do end up going to autoglass to get it done sign the inspection sheet before the work is carryed out .their suposed to mark down any scratches or scuff marks before they do the work so they cant be blamed later

also make sure they dont leave windscreen sealent appearing on the inside of the glass, they fittd one on a corrado for me b4 and it seaped through, you could see it in the corner of the screen, as said above, make sure they go round and check your car b4 and sign a sheet before work starts.

simon

Thanks for the reply chaps, am i right in saying then that i should sign the sheet before work is carried out incase they damage anything else on the car?? :?

LOL at this thread!

A New screen from VW is only £240, any glass place can source the same screen made by SEKURIT for about half the price, just without the VW logo's - they also do top tint versions...

Labour should be no more than an hour but they will need the car for 4-5 to let it set as it's a bonded screen and therefore structural to the chassis

Things to look out for...

Don't get a PILKINGTON screen as the profiles are not the same as the original

New Screens come with the plastic scuttle pieces but the white clips underneath are likely to break so make sure they order new ones of these along with the seals and maybe a windscreen seal too (£20)

The pillar trims inside are obselete now I think so make sure they are very careful with these!

LOL at this thread!

A New screen from VW is only £240, any glass place can source the same screen made by SEKURIT for about half the price, just without the VW logo's - they also do top tint versions...

Labour should be no more than an hour but they will need the car for 4-5 to let it set as it's a bonded screen and therefore structural to the chassis

New Screens come with the plastic scuttle pieces but the white clips underneath are likely to break so make sure they order new ones of these along with the seals and maybe a windscreen seal too (£20)

The pillar trims inside are obselete now I think so make sure they are very careful with these!

Thanks Supercharged, didnt think there was so much to getting a windscreen fitted! :lol:

Obviously I did not remember correctly :lol:

strange cause when i had mine replaced by the rac,i asked the women on reception how much it would have cost just out of interest an she told me it was over a grand?

strange cause when i had mine replaced by the rac,i asked the women on reception how much it would have cost just out of interest an she told me it was over a grand?

Soooooooooo it was you that made me think that :lol:

It certainly cost RAC more than a grand when they did my windscreen :lol:

2 x windscreens................... £230 each

replacement bonnet and hinges. £80

replacement windscreen trim.... £75

complete re-spray .................£1650

muppet who screwed it up in the first place getting fired.....priceless.

Coolrado - are they still doing this 'special offer' ? :lol:

Are you going to BVF mate?

i suppose if you managed to find another branch with similar chimp-like staff, you may still be able to get the same offer :lol:

I wont be going to BVF as i will probably be on my way to khartoum, still waiting to find out though.

the outer seal should stay in place without sealant if the screens fitted correctly, but polyurethane adhesive sealant is the best stuff to use, thats what they use to fit the screen with, loctite do one but i cant remember the code, or u-pol tigerseal.

Does anyone know what sealant is best to use to replace the windscreen seal?

The outer seal is £20 from VW but get the insurance to cover it if they are replacing... don't let them fit a generic one they look awful!

Sealant - get the VW stuff if you can

I think I need a new windscreen. Small chip and it's cracked in the bottom nearside corner. If done through the insurance will they source a Sekurit OEM screen? The seal is perishing too as water is now coming in and there is a lot of noise in the cabin. Do they get these parts? Thanks for any input.

the outer seal should stay in place without sealant if the screens fitted correctly, but polyurethane adhesive sealant is the best stuff to use, thats what they use to fit the screen with, loctite do one but i cant remember the code, or u-pol tigerseal.

Yeah, i've read that but unfortunately the seal has come loose on a car I bought recently so there's not alot I can do about it other than stick it back on :)

just had my windsreen done it now leaks water from the top an drips on my seat an the bloke cut into the plastic side trims

inside the car an there sealent showing in the car an out side great job im such a lucky person when it comes to cars :lol:

LOL at this thread!

Need a windscreen, going through insurance is not an option - do you know any sites or companies where I could get one for the price mentioned pls? preferrably surrey/london area! thanks

EDIT: just called autoglass, £522.62 for top tinted glass, windscreen + labour...and thats with a discount! surely there must be someplace cheaper?

Continuing from my previous post, I have been shopping around for quotes, but somethings rather baffling me:

there are 2 options for the windscreen, 1 being "normal", and the other having a top tint and green top strip.

Now, I know i have a strip along the top of my windscreen, but its not green, its kinda blurred and dark. Anyone know what they mean by the green top strip? Just don't wanna come home after its fitted to find some ugly bright strip on my car :(

Any ideas folks?

btw, just to give you an idea (All including labour and VAT):

Autoglass: £522.62 ("exactly the same as VW" - or so i was told)

Autoglazing: £370.13

glassforcars.com: £320

nationwindscreens: £296.10

budgetwindscreens.co.uk: £287.88

AAAAaaaarrghhh

Had a huge stone hit the screen on Saturday but couldn't see any damage so thought I had got away with it.

Been out in the car today (the 8v) and now realise there was damage right down low by the drivers windscreen wiper because a chip has become a 2 pronged (sp ??) fork, each prong about 6 inches long. :shock:

And I'm only 3rd party fire & theft on the 8v so it's all down to me to replace....... :(

Any one know a really cheap windscreen replacement company in Sheffield?????

BananOr - Did you get one fitted? Who did you use?