Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Getting Head skimmed on a VR

a chap i was talking to about corrados, says he had his head skimmed and would recommend i get it done as car as done 150,000miles

even tho headgasket hasn't gone? I didn't think much of this but lastnight saw high oil temps breifly, (that could just be normal i don't know yet)

has anyone else heard of this? should i have it done? is it a large job?

***PLEASE DON'T LOCK THIS ONE (i did have more to ask in the other thread, but yet again its been locked)*** ????????

Your other thread was about VR oil temps which has been covered a hundred times and, consequently, it was closed.

If you really had more to ask, you could have just PM'd me or another Mod to re-open the other thread so you could edit it (although why not just ask all the questions to begin with?). You've been here long enough to know how it works by now :)

The only reason I'd skim a head (and I have had a few done) is if the surface of the head is pitted, preventing a good seal with the head gasket. Its a job that some people do while changing a gasket, to get the mating surfaces as perfect as possible. Mileage is no reason at all to be thinking of doing this.

Your other thread was about VR oil temps which has been covered a hundred times and, consequently, it was closed.

If you really had more to ask, you could have just PM'd me or another Mod to re-open the other thread so you could edit it (although why not just ask all the questions to begin with?). You've been here long enough to know how it works by now :)

i've searched for "oil temps" went through about 5 pages and still don't feel as if i have an answer, same as most things i try to search for, could this info not of been organised into somewhere before? i just find it annoying when threads get locked so soon, other forums only seem to lock threads if its a dodgy/taboo subject or its just a subject causing problems/arguements etc

if all this info needs compiling into a quick useful guide/reference then i could start doing this if i knew the answers, i did make a guide for removing door card and window regulator, which would be useful to some people i'm sure, and i'm prepared to do the same for any problems i encounter with car

i just don't see the problem with people discussing "their" problem in a thread and gathering as much info as poss than having to trawl through numerous posts in the same thread and not really getting the answers wanted

The only reason I'd skim a head (and I have had a few done) is if the surface of the head is pitted, preventing a good seal with the head gasket. Its a job that some people do while changing a gasket, to get the mating surfaces as perfect as possible. Mileage is no reason at all to be thinking of doing this.

thats what i thought when told this, if there's no problem then no need to fix it.

the guy was saying its more of a precaution, but isn't there a limit to the amount of times a head can be skimmed?

i've searched for "oil temps" went through about 5 pages and still don't feel as if i have an answer, same as most things i try to search for, could this info not of been organised into somewhere before?

Most of it is using the search properly to achieve the best results.

Advanced search > +vr6 +oil +temp* > restrict to Engine Bay > Search in thread titles (as it's pretty obvious from the titles as to what the thread will be about) > return threads (rather than posts) ......... if that doesn't answer your original question "is 120+ degrees normal and should I be worried", I'll eat my shoes.

i just find it annoying when threads get locked so soon, other forums only seem to lock threads if its a dodgy/taboo subject or its just a subject causing problems/arguements etc

You've said it yourself - lots and lots of threads about VR6 oil temps makes it difficult to find the answer you need. Because people don't search, we end up with 40 small threads rather than 1 or 2 large threads that would answer the questions far easier. So by closing obvious re-posts, it prompts people to search and contribute anything further to an existing thread.

if all this info needs compiling into a quick useful guide/reference then i could start doing this if i knew the answers, i did make a guide for removing door card and window regulator, which would be useful to some people i'm sure, and i'm prepared to do the same for any problems i encounter with car

And it's much appreciated I'm sure. The main problem is people spending their valuable time to prepare these guides - it's the idea behind the knowledge base but it needs input from the forum members. The Mods can't be expected to do everything ;) I wrote the Buyers Guide but I certainly couldn't have done it without the existing information on the forum and other the input from other people.

i just don't see the problem with people discussing "their" problem in a thread and gathering as much info as poss than having to trawl through numerous posts in the same thread and not really getting the answers wanted

As above really. By encouraging people to add into existing threads, it makes it a far greater resource for other people that go searching for the info. It's far easier to extract the desired information from 1 large thread than 10 small ones. We're here to moderate the site but also to make it as good a resource as possible.

Anyway ....

thats what i thought when told this, if there's no problem then no need to fix it.

the guy was saying its more of a precaution, but isn't there a limit to the amount of times a head can be skimmed?

Not so much how many times, but how much is taken off in total. I've had mine done, cant remember if it was 2 or 4 thousands of an inch. Not much at all, just resurfacing really. You'll alter the compression ratio too much if you take too much off.

regarding the search, i've read your answers and your right :lol: i didn't use advanced search i just typed "oil temp" in the search box :(

i find the problem with adding to existing threads is that you end up with 10+ pages to read through. I am prepared to help condense the definitive info into some kinda well formatted guide. even if i just copy the text into word and make it easier to read, then send it back to you to post somewhere.

i know maintaining a website with hundreds maybe thousands of members is a big task in itself....i do appreciate the fact its even here to begin with :) so thanks.....

Not so much how many times, but how much is taken off in total. I've had mine done, cant remember if it was 2 or 4 thousands of an inch. Not much at all, just resurfacing really. You'll alter the compression ratio too much if you take too much off.

he mentioned something about compression??? i'm not that clued up on mechanics so just nod my head and say "yeah" alot :lol:

he also said something about an airpump on top of engine?

i'm not sure what, but got me a little worried, then car starts running a bit hot. i might just be paranoid tho :lol:

i find the problem with adding to existing threads is that you end up with 10+ pages to read through. .

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

People complain of numerous threads on the same topic and they also complain about threads that are too long for them to (be arsed) to read.

What to do?

i find the problem with adding to existing threads is that you end up with 10+ pages to read through. .

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

People complain of numerous threads on the same topic and they also complain about threads that are too long for them to (be arsed) to read.

What to do?

Simple - just do away with the forum concept. Have a group of learned members, or TeamGuru if you will, who answers any given questions.

1) Why is my door handle broken?

2) Which is better, the VR6 or the G60?

3) Which is the best cheese to use in a lasagne?

Email comes back:

1) Because VW designed it from breadsticks and spit

2) The VR of course ;)

3) A mixture of cheddar, mozzarella and Swiss cheese

Simple - just do away with the forum concept. Have a group of learned members, or TeamGuru if you will, who answers any given questions.

1) Why is my door handle broken?

2) Which is better, the VR6 or the G60?

3) Which is the best cheese to use in a lasagne?

Email comes back:

1) Because VW designed it from breadsticks and spit

2) The VR of course ;)

3) A mixture of cheddar, mozzarella and Swiss cheese

One more if you don't mind!

4) Whats the best exhaust for a VR!

if everyone did that there would be thousands of threads with exactly the same info in them

4) Magnex

Besides, "Skimmed" reminds me of the tasteless Milk my Mum used to drink.

The correct term from now on is "Resurfaced head" :lol:

he mentioned something about compression??? i'm not that clued up on mechanics so just nod my head and say "yeah" alot :lol:

Back in the days when this thread was about getting the head skimmed (sorry,"resurfaced") I'd have said that there's no point thinking about compression ratios when skimming, (sorry, resurfacing) a VR head as it's flat, has no combustion chambers and therefore makes no difference to compression ratios how much you skim (sorry, resurface) off.

As it is now about lasagne I have to disagree with said cheese mix and suggest mature cheddar and fresh parmesan :lol:

Oh, and Magnex.

It has to be a really strong cheddar though, such as Tesco Finest Vintage Canadian, which is 5 out of 5 on the Cheddichter scale....

Yes you are correct, the VR head is indeed minus any combustion bowls (as per MK1 1600 GTI) as the pistons are the deep dish (pepperoni) variety.....but.... you need to be careful how much you take off or you can expose too much of the valve seats, which could potentially burn out the exhaust valves prematurely (especially the rear 3).

The only way to increase compression is to move the pistons closer to the head by skimming (sorry, resurfacing) the block, increased CR pistons or a thinner gasket.

I've never Semi-skimmed a head unless warped and if it is warped, I'd prefer to bin it and start over anyway.... especially as bare VR heads are about 50 squids from a scrapper!

i've decided not to do anything

instead i'll make far better use of my time sourcing the best cheddar and skim that