Sign in to follow this  
J a m e s

Removing gear knob

Unscrew gear knob and then the boot should just pull out from the base, with the knob attached.

The knob is then just clipped to the boot.

Interior forum as well ;)

screws off anti- clock wise or do you mean removing the knob from the gaiter? If you mean the latter, i've no idea, sorry. 8)

do i just yank it off?

You can do whatever you want mate, but if you want to know how to take of the gear knob, then remember. it aint no Fiat... :lol:

the knob unscrews, but first un-clip the panel that attaches to the gaiter. un screw the knob. the gear knob is attached to the gaitor by clipping in to a brass ring. this can be pulled away. Wht i did with my new gear knob, was to remove the brass ring from the gaitor, the fit to the car again. fit the gear knob with out the bottom screw on sleeve. take the base of the gaitor, and pull it over the gear knob, then tighten it upwith some insulation tape, then pull the gaiter back down again and fit. IMO this is one of the neater ways to do it and it saves the need to buy a new gaitor too :)

HTH

I replaced mine recently.

First pull the gearknob and gaitor up complete with the plastic surround. Then unscrew the knob from the stick, the gaitor and surround might turn with it.

Once off, look underneath the gearknob, there is a thick black plastic type circlip which holds the gaitor to the gearknob. Get this off with the aid of a screw driver / anything else. Don't be too gentle as its fairly tough and flexible.

Once thats out the gearknob should seperate from the gaitor with no trouble. Reassemble the opposite way. The circlip is a damn site easier to put back in!

A new VW gearknob costs approx £20