Sign in to follow this  
wandee

Do VR's have the same dampers/springs as the G60/16V?

Probably been asked a million times before but I'm considering taking the nasty coilovers off my VR. If I was to get a second hand set of OEM 'Rado struts can I get any from a scrappy etc, or are they different for each engined car?

If you use the search mate you will find the answer is NO due to the weight of the VR6 engine you need harder suspension. Definately get VR6 specific suspension!

If you use the search mate you will find the answer is NO due to the weight of the VR6 engine you need harder suspension. Definately get VR6 specific suspension!

Cheers...will have a look.

Er not true.

IIRC very late 16v and 8v cars (last year of production) used the same spring and damper combo as a VR. If you actually look at the weight difference between the models it isnt that much and if you also consider that an auto gearbox and aircon can be fitted without a subsequent change in the suspension then the weight difference is gone.

However, saying that it would be hard to find a very late car that wasn't a VR with the 'right' suspension.

It may well be that in the run-out VW were using the same bits for all three models (they would surely have been churning out probably 10 VRs for every four-cylinder car by then), but those cars are unusual - by design the VR was the only car that had gas-over-oil dampers fitted at the factory. As for the springs themselves, although mostly the same, I think there were numerous slightly different types fitted to all types of cars.

For aftermarket use, however, they're all pretty much interchangeable, with the exception of early car -> late car - the front spring top plates were different sizes... Though even this is not insurmountable - just fit the right type of top plate and away you go ..

Ok sorry guys im wrong then :oops: i thought that you had to get VR6 specific because of the weight of the vr lump up front and needing the right dampening for it??

Oh well, i got VR6 specific for mine and even if some are the same i know i would rather get suspension that is for a vr6 personally.

It may well be that in the run-out VW were using the same bits for all three models (they would surely have been churning out probably 10 VRs for every four-cylinder car by then), but those cars are unusual - by design the VR was the only car that had gas-over-oil dampers fitted at the factory. As for the springs themselves, although mostly the same, I think there were numerous slightly different types fitted to all types of cars.

For aftermarket use, however, they're all pretty much interchangeable, with the exception of early car -> late car - the front spring top plates were different sizes... Though even this is not insurmountable - just fit the right type of top plate and away you go ..

Indeed, I wasn't saying it was easy just that they did.

As for aftermarket stuff then the infamous Koni TA setup is the same unit front and rear for all models of Corrado. Furthur reading into the H&R half of the set-up reveals that H&R recommend sports dampers for use on a VR with their springs but not on the G60/16v. As such I would, and have after much trying of various bits, buy the VR springs for a 16v/G60 or you end up with an overdamped set-up.

Pi suspension actually make the two different sizes of top spring diameter, the late cars had narrow spring discs to improve ride, so it might be worth giving them a shot.

The only way to know for sure which springs and dampers are on what car is to check the colour coded "dots". All compliance components (springs, engine mounts, dampers etc) at VAG are colour coded, i.e. a green dot of paint for G60, blue for 16V and so on....

I've even seen two springs with the same part number have different colour dots.....