Sign in to follow this  
belfastfumanchu

engine life span

Hi guys - im new here, hence this question, no doubt.

As most Corrados now have a pretty high mileage on the clock now, i was wondering how long the engines are good for.

Im always wary of anything over 100k , but i guess with a VR6 it wouldnt be a prob.

How many miles is a Corrado G60 engine good for?

How many miles is a Corrado VR6 engine good for?

if looked after properly all corrado engines, should easily see off 200k, i think theres a guy on here whos got a corrado with over 200k on it (he didnt know that when he bought it though :oops: ).......I think!!!

Welcome to the forum! :)

Edited your title from lift to life. Makes a bit more sense ;)

Thanks for the welcome guys ! Glad i've found an active Corrado forum.

If you all reckon the engine (with care) can last a good 200k then that makes me feel a lot better about buying one now. :D

Im always wary of anything over 100k , but i guess with a VR6 it wouldnt be a prob.

Not necessarily!

I don't know why, but the VR has a reputation for being bomb proof. It's far from it.

Kev

i agree with kev. g-lader aside, the G60 setup is more bulletproof IMO, and as long as you keep your charger in top shape, you're laughin! :lol:

Totally depends what you want out of it!

Best thing is to go and drive a few of each version. It is very unlikely that you'll come across a Corrado that is just right first time, so go and get some experience about what they feel like and what to look for. Maybe there is someone off the forum that is close to you that could take you for a spin and show you the ropes, so to speak.

Dont get me changing my mind about a VR6 now or im gonna be up all night.

I've finally decided to go for it over the G60.....at lease i think i have. oh s***

Don't let us disuade you mate. There's LOADS of information about each engine online, should you need it. The VR6 doesn't grenade itself of anything silly like that, but lots of VRs around the 90K mark are showing signs of bore wear and like most VW engines, valve guide wear too.

Just depends how it's been treated. The youngest full rebuild I'm aware of is 88K but on the other side of the coin, Andi's is on 191,000 and still going strong.

Kev

i agree with kev. g-lader aside, the G60 setup is more bulletproof IMO, and as long as you keep your charger in top shape, you're laughin! :lol:

LOL, you lader boys, eh?

I'm counting down the days until my VR lump dies and then it'll be hoiked out and replaced with a 150 TDi engine and 6 speed box :lol:

An easy 180bhp and around 300lb/ft of the twisty stuff :wink:

Kev

Personally I don't see why any VR should die completely. It depends how you define "dead". If you mean "uses a bit of oil and rattles a bit" then sure, but so does everything else. If you accept that it's going to get "past it's best" but still perfectly useable then you'll be happy enough.

Having said that, I don't know what I'd do if I found it needed major (bottom end) engine work, probably look for a low-ish miles replacement engine I suspect... (And sell on all the anciliaries I can carry to fund it!)

All depends on the individual car then i guess.

That valve guide wear that you mention kev, is that expensive to replace & how would you know about it (like if say you went to look at one that someone was selling)

this may be a silly point but i was of the opinion that it takes 75K to break these engines in completely?

cheers

paul

As with all engines, the key to longevity is religious oil changes and servicing. There was a 1.6 diesel VW Golf that clocked 500,000 miles on the original components. Shell were so impressed (Shell oil and diesel used in the engine it's entire life) they bought the car off the owner, stripped the engine down and put it in a glass case at the UK Head Quarters. Mad.

Kev

Yeap that was Hennys car, its of the road at the mo getting a full rebuild..

Yup, 's me! 8) 225K + miles and was going strong until the crank bolt snapped (basically the same as the cam belt snapping :? :shock: ) So she's engine-less at the moment and the engine's off getting re-bored, balanced, lightened, gas-flowed and generally messed with! :lol:

She'd still be going strong if it weren't for that bolt, but when I stripped her down, there was definate signs of (you could SEE, never mind feel) bore wear, but at 225K+ I'm not too suprised! :lol: 8)

I was originally planning on just a straight re-build until the bolt sheared off, but it happened to come at a time I'd just got some money in my pocket, so I thought "what the hell!" :lol:

Just make sure, if you get a 100K+ G60, that you get the 'charger rebuilt, give it quite a lot of TLC and make sure that all seems well before enjoying it too much... A few hundred quid when you buy the car could save you loads afterwards... :? 8)

Personally I'd prefer a VR6 to a G60.

After-all it's the VR6 all the reviews rave about.

Although I believe it's easier to tune a G60 up to 220 bhp or more.

Plus, the 1.8 8v engine it uses is bombproof and easily mended when it does go.

As Kev says. Just be sure and maintain the car well and you'll have few mechanical hassles.

No matter which Corrado you buy, it'll still have it's little "quirks."

Make sure all electics are working fine etc before buying.

Where abouts in Belfast are you? Corrado's for sale are a bit thin on the ground in N.I.

As with all engines, the key to longevity is religious oil changes and servicing. There was a 1.6 diesel VW Golf that clocked 500,000 miles on the original components. Shell were so impressed (Shell oil and diesel used in the engine it's entire life) they bought the car off the owner, stripped the engine down and put it in a glass case at the UK Head Quarters. Mad.

Kev

The story doesn't end there though... Shell only bought the engine, they supplied a BRAND NEW engine to replace it.... The new engine blew up after only 20K miles :roll: :shock: :lol:

Kev

yeap thats True, I worked at VW HQ a few years ago...