Sign in to follow this  
Yozza

Exhaust (Polo Mk2)

Hello,

Sorry to post about Polo's in here, but I thought I'd get a few quick replies.....

My girlfriend has got a Mk2 Polo and the exhaust has been knocking when going round corners. I thought it would probably be the rubber hangers, but it seems that the exhaust is rotating slightly at a mid point along the pipe and that's causing the end of the exhaust to twist up, touching the rear of the car.

It's rotating at a point where there seems to be some kind of braided heatshield. I've not seen this before so I wondered if someone could shed any light on it and what (if anything) I can do. Picture is below, the left hand side is moving. Is this normal or some past Garage cowboy bodge?

Cheers for any help on this:

poloexhaust2zv3.th.jpg

That section looks like a simple flex joint, don't know if it's standard or not.....I suppose you need to find out what's causing it to twist on corners? knackered suspension parts? engine mounts?

I think the weight of the back box is causing it to twist all the time so that the end of the exhaust is almost touching the rear of the car. I think it's just bouncing on the hangers when it goes round corners and the exhaust is hitting the car.

The hangers are newish (about a year), but they were ones that the garage had rather than VW ones. I think the old ones snapped and teh garage used whatever it had. I've bought some from VW (I was changing my Corrado ones anyway), but I'm not sure it would make any difference as the exhaust is twisting and too high, so tighter ones may make it worse. Might be worth putting them on anyway.

I've not seen a connection like that before either. I could understand a flex to let it move, but not twist.

I might change the rubber hangers when I get a chance and see if it makes any difference.