Sign in to follow this  
filski

Too hot???

hi guys,

did about 600 miles the other day through Germany to Poland, car went well but is running hot i think? is a water temp of 105 - 110 too high..it sits there all day and fan kicks in and off and needle moves a lil bit. through town is about 108 ish, out on open road or motorway about 105ish..but used to be 90 all day long. Recently got new water pump, thermostat, switches and whole lot and service but in my opinion 110ish is a bit high. oil goes from 100 to 110 at high revs and long motorway journeys.

any ideas where i can look and what might need changing/doing.

appreciate your help as am a bit lost.

110 isn't really too high, 90 should be what it's normaly at.....you can change the water gauge sender (one pin black) for about £3 from vwspares.co.uk.

hey filski i'm glad the elusive 2l 8v is still running strong (if a lil hot) i had this problem on an old golf with the same engine, maybe the thermostat was faulty? and try flushing the coolant system and fill with some new g12 (or g8,9,10,11) the pink one, should bring the temp back down to 90, unles you've renewed the collant recently? could hve an airlock??

It could be that your radiator is knackered too, as I had your exact symptoms with an Alfa GTV and the new radiator cured it.

Col

thanks for the help. Before the trip i took it into a local dude near Reading to have a look and he replaced the water pump, themostat, and i replaced the water temp sensor and rad fan switch. As it happens i took it into a guy here in Warsaw and we chacked everything with a lazer thermometer and the rad is at a constant 90- 95 with the fan kicking in occasionally, and all seems fine but the guage is showing a temp of 110 insdide on the dash..faulty temp sensor in the top rad pipe. did about 500 miles in the last 2 days and seems fine, so i think problem found. Could probably do with a new rad as is looking a bit old but after 13 years not surprised.

:)