Sign in to follow this  
coolrado

Leaving polish/wax on overnight?

I have noticed at a few shows that some people turn up with their cars allready covered in polish/wax, and from speaking to some of them they actually applied the polish the night before, is there any problem with doing this or does it just make it a bit more difficult to remove the polish?

Are certain polishes more suited to this than others?

seems like drbris would stick to it, then you have to rub it to get ot off, causing scratches,deosnt seem like a good idea to me

seems like drbris would stick to it, then you have to rub it to get ot off, causing scratches,deosnt seem like a good idea to me

i'm with joeyz i always thought you should wash it at least once thoroughly to get hit of the dust grit and grime before you start rubbish the paint... must be a bad idea! :shock:

Agreed, i wouldnt personally leave anything on that long, its not really necessary. Some sealants like Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection for example need leaving on for about an hour before you buff off, any longer would just be pointless imo and like said you would risk too much dust etc to settle. But it is a good idea to apply a second layer of wax/sealant 24 hours after the first application for better durability.

Some waxes and polishes are very fussy with how long they are left on. For exampe AG Super Resin Polish can be left on for quite a while and would still come off fairly easily, where as scratch-x for example is a real pig to remove if left for a minute too long, its a bastard to remove! The same with some natural waxes, i found Collinite to be ok to remove when left on for a while although it did need a mist of detailing spray here and there to remove some stubborn bits but generally not bad, whereas the wax i currently use which is Victoria Concours is a real bastard if left on too long so i apply it a panel at a time.

Agreed, i wouldnt personally leave anything on that long, its not really necessary. Some sealants like Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection for example need leaving on for about an hour before you buff off, any longer would just be pointless imo and like said you would risk too much dust etc to settle. But it is a good idea to apply a second layer of wax/sealant 24 hours after the first application for better durability.

Some waxes and polishes are very fussy with how long they are left on. For exampe AG Super Resin Polish can be left on for quite a while and would still come off fairly easily, where as scratch-x for example is a real pig to remove if left for a minute too long, its a bastard to remove! The same with some natural waxes, i found Collinite to be ok to remove when left on for a while although it did need a mist of detailing spray here and there to remove some stubborn bits but generally not bad, whereas the wax i currently use which is Victoria Concours is a real bastard if left on too long so i apply it a panel at a time.

Bloody hell Rob, you are a a detailing geek... :D :D

I use Megs Gold Class Wax and you can leave that stuff on for ages and it still comes off dead easy! Looks fookin Fab too :)

I remember reading a thread on the megs forum that recommends leaving the stage 3 wax on overnight so it goes really hard for increased durability.

It does come off a lot easier the longer you leave the megs stage 3 wax unlike their stage 1 and 2 which need to be done a panel at a time or its a bugger to get off.

Was Gonna Give the stage 1 to 3 stuff a go, But having talked to the Megs man at Inters, He suggested I clay bar the car and then just use the Gold Class as my car is a light colour!

So did what he said and it came up stunning! Just washed it with the Gold Class Shampoo! All i can say is WOW!! Well worth it!

as my paint is still reasonably fresh a clay bar did'nt really take anything noticeable off, the megs stage 1-3 did work really well but i usually only use stage 2 & 3 now as the paint seems to stay nice and clean, the first time i used some megs tech wax the air was quite damp and it streaked like hell and was an absolute sod to buff off, i will give it another try this weekend if the weather is nice and dry.

it was funny when next doors cat jumped off the fence onto my bonnet just after i waxed it and ended up sliding straight off (cats dont allways land on their feet appearently :lol: ) it didnt leave a mark on the paint either.

if i do leave it overnight it will be in a garage and i can give it a quick blast over with an airline to get rid of any dust that might have settled on it, i was just unsure if the wax may actually do any damage if left on too long.

I find that AG SRP gives great results on a red car so thinking I should invest in their sealant stuff too rather than the Megs stuff which i've not got on with as well. Thanks for the tip about leaving it on for an hour Rob otherwise i'd have just done the usual business of apply panel by panel and remove immediately. I've always done this with wax and now starting to think that might contribute to my excessive paint fade - not giving it long enough to set on the car!

I find that AG SRP gives great results on a red car

i used to use it all the time, and its probably the easiest polish i have used, it does give a brilliant shine on red paint but the shine just doesnt seem to last for very long, although i have never used the AG sealants so i might give it another try.

Was Gonna Give the stage 1 to 3 stuff a go, But having talked to the Megs man at Inters, He suggested I clay bar the car and then just use the Gold Class as my car is a light colour!

So did what he said and it came up stunning! Just washed it with the Gold Class Shampoo! All i can say is WOW!! Well worth it!

Steve, will tell ou ho the 3-stage goes after the weekend... Mark's spolier's looking a little faded so going to hit that and see what comes of it.... (he doesn't know this yet!)... Mind you will probably mean that we have to do the rest of the car to match too! :roll:

the mirrors and the spoiler seem to fade much quicker than the rest of the car, must be something to do with the additives they used for painting on plastic, although it doesnt happen to the bumpers :?

I remember reading a thread on the megs forum that recommends leaving the stage 3 wax on overnight so it goes really hard for increased durability.

It does come off a lot easier the longer you leave the megs stage 3 wax unlike their stage 1 and 2 which need to be done a panel at a time or its a bugger to get off.

Yeah the megs stage 3 is the exception, tbh its not actually a very good wax. It does give a very nice shine imo but its not durable at all, it only lasts a few weeks max where as most other waxes will last atleast a month or 2. So the longer you leave it on the harder it will get and its best to add 2 layers about 24 hours apart as well for even more durability. Then just keep it topped up every other week or every 3 weeks etc.

as my paint is still reasonably fresh a clay bar did'nt really take anything noticeable off, the megs stage 1-3 did work really well but i usually only use stage 2 & 3 now as the paint seems to stay nice and clean, the first time i used some megs tech wax the air was quite damp and it streaked like hell and was an absolute sod to buff off, i will give it another try this weekend if the weather is nice and dry.

Be careful though mate, dont just keep using the step 2 and 3 and thats it, every now and then use the step 1. The reason being is that the step 2 'polish' although labelled as a polish isnt actually a polish, its a glaze as it contains NO abrasives to cut the paint which is what polishing does, instead it just sits on top of the paint looking very shiny. The step 1 is what will remove oxidation and freshen the paint.

Or alternatively just use AG SRP if you have it as imo its very underated. Its a proper polish so contains abrasives to cut the paint, it cleans the paint as well as step 1 would, the resins in it fill in swirl marks and it also protects to a certain extent (albeit not very long mind). And if you found it a good product before but just didnt last very long thats because you didnt put anything on top of it to seal it in. The polish itself will only stay on so long, the first time it rains and it will be gone. So AG have a sealant designed to go on top of SRP which is the Extra Gloss Protection i mentioned which should be applied, left for an hour and buffed off. This chemically bonds to the paint and the SRP locking it in and gives great protection for a few months easily, plus it gives a great shine!

Definately my top recommendations SRP followed by EGP every time and then if you like you can add a wax on top as well.

I find that AG SRP gives great results on a red car so thinking I should invest in their sealant stuff too rather than the Megs stuff which i've not got on with as well. Thanks for the tip about leaving it on for an hour Rob otherwise i'd have just done the usual business of apply panel by panel and remove immediately. I've always done this with wax and now starting to think that might contribute to my excessive paint fade - not giving it long enough to set on the car!

Jim definately try the EGP mate, give your car 2 layers of SRP (apply to whole car, leave for 10 mins whilst you make a brew, come back buff it off then apply again) as although 1 coat is sufficient 2 is going to be better imo, then apply the EGP to the whole car leave for about 45 - 60 mins and then buff off. I think yours will benfit from this as sealants actually have better UV protection than waxes do so should keep the suns rays from fading it so quickly. The EGP also contains oils which will effectively moisturise your paint again stopping it from fading so quickly.

the mirrors and the spoiler seem to fade much quicker than the rest of the car, must be something to do with the additives they used for painting on plastic, although it doesnt happen to the bumpers :?

Thats because plastic heats up alot quicker than metal (hence why rotary machine polishers are risky on plastic bumpers!), the mirrors and spoiler are at higher points of the car and sit there taking the suns heat all day where as the bumpers are lower down so aren't subject to as much direct heat. However if you polish them regularly with an abrasive polish like SRP or use the step 1 paint cleaner and seal it after with EGP (i would only use EGP if you use SRP first as its very fussy as to what it sticks to where as its designed to bond to SRP) then they should last a bit longer.

when i do clean my car (not that often) i always do one coat of collinite, that i take off straight away. then i leave the second coat to "cure" overnight. it comes off very easilly and does give a very deep gloss finish.

when i do clean my car (not that often) i always do one coat of collinite, that i take off straight away. then i leave the second coat to "cure" overnight. it comes off very easilly and does give a very deep gloss finish.

Which collinite do you use Karl 476s or 915? The collinite waxes are the most durable you can get really, the 915 being the slightly better though as it has a higher carnuba content which will last a tad longer but also give a better finish, especially on darker cars 8)

i have been using the 476's Rob, but when i have used all that up, i will be getting some of the dodo juice wax, i have heard some really good things about it.

i have been using the 476's Rob, but when i have used all that up, i will be getting some of the dodo juice wax, i have heard some really good things about it.

Up until now ive used AG UDS followed by autosmart wax and am happy with e results but, like Karl, will be giving to dodo juice a go, im on the look out for some new polish soon but am still unsure...

Yeah but by the time you have used the collinite up we will be driving around in hover cars and paint wont need to be waxed as they will have forcefields round them!! :lol:

By that i mean the collinite wax lasts AAAAAAGGGGEEEEESSSSS!!!!! :lol: :lol:

But good choice on the Dodo Juice, not tried it myself yet as i also have too much wax to use up but i will be getting some when i start detailing part time so i have some more choice.

Feck it, just ordered some collinite from the states.

and er some Zymol stuff too :D

Yans, remember to remove all rings etc before hand molesting you car with those! :lol: