Sign in to follow this  
deMK1

How often do VR6s need rebuilds?

Hello, this is my 1st post on this forum, i dont own a corrado yet, but in about 4 weeks i should have one.

Im selling my 2L 16v mk1 golf to help fund it.

I keep reading about people having rebuilds and that the vr6 engine wasnt the best vw ever made for realibility, if i buy one i want it to last, i dont want any problems after spending about 15k on my mk1 still for it not to work fully.

im doing lots of research on this, and seems there is an age old battle of vr6 vs g60 as ive read lot of threads.

As everyone says im still no closer to deciding, i think im going vr6 way though.

While im here asking this, if anyone is reading this that wants to help find, or sell me one let me know,

im pretty specific with the one i want, needs to be black (magic black is it), with leather if possible, i would like (obviously) low miles, and a really well maintaned car, and among a few more other things, really great bodywork condition and paint, im fed up of having a rough looking car, so want this one to last, not have to worry about fixing it and look good.

If anyone can point me to a buyers guide, or useful info on this site. Checked most of it out already i think.

Well thanks for reading and any help.

How long is a piece of string really? There are examples knocking around on here with over 200k and no rebuild, still on original chains and tensioner. Others required a rebuild before 90k. All depends on the individual car. Some of them were prone to bore wear at lower mileages, some weren't.

I had the top end of mine rebuilt at 104k as precaution as much as anything. Most people would now agree that you should think of doing chains and tensioner between that sort of mileage and 150k since the upper tensioner pad will have worn.

Go on your assessment of the individual car and the history and then take the plunge! I never looked back. I still think that the VR6 engine is incredibly strong. Sure, it can go badly wrong in some cases. All engines can, and it'll be at least 12 years old. However, I have had no major issues with mine (touch wood). It's VW after all.

Buyer's guide will help you:

Clicky

HTH,

Ed.

Im having mine done at the moment - It has done 170k. No problems up until recently.

Depends completely on the individual corrado.

To be fair to the VR6, it's an engine that gets driven hard, particularly in the Corrado (more so than the Golf), and they last pretty well, considering.

But really, it's just maintenance stuff. The only reason people talk about the timing chains with hushed tones is because they're expensive to replace. You wouldn't bat an eyelid if someone said their 50k miler 16V had to have a new cam belt would you. Due to a slight design cock-up it's a gearbox-off job with the VR6 engine..

As for bore wear and head work, well, those are not the norm, thankfully. A mate's 140k mile 1.8 Golf Mk3 is literally pouring oil through it's valve stem seals (around 1 litre every few hundred miles), whereas most VRs don't start using serious oil till well into their mid 150k's..

So, don't worry so much..

ok its just most posts i read people are having it done.

well im always looking for a good one.

will keep searching.

but your saying corrados would be more abused than other cars (depending on the person)

as i own a 24 year old golf, just had an engine change, and not going through that again, espeically not with a car im willing to spend lots on money on in the 1st place so it works.

ive also done reading and found that the work if needs doing can be another £4000, seems stupid, you'd buy another car with that.

well anyway well see how it turns out.

ill let you lot know if i find one and what you think of it, but i realise its up to me at the end of it.

also thanks for the guide, had a good read through.

Well yeah, people don't post up saying "nothing bad happened to my Corrado today", do they!

Plus, you're talking about a bunch of cars that are at *least* eleven years old now.

"nothing bad happened to my Corrado today"

lol

why not.

well found out a min ago insurance on one will only be £600 and im only just 22, which is great. so right on track.

speaking of vr6 rebuilds, my 'magic black' rado is just about to hit the 150,000 mile mark and im hoping to supercharge next summer. I had it in for a service last wednesday and the mechanic said that the chains and tensioner are in really good shape but the engine is starting to sound a bit 'tappety.' Whats the average price for a strip and rebuild and would it be the recommended thing to do before i start charging it?

Oh and where would you recommend for the work, i dont want to have to drive hundreds of miles down south to get it done :?

Talking of top end rebuilds and chains mines just hit 130k and feel its time to get it sorted costing £900 for chains clutch and all the rest of the stuff that goes with it £250+ Vat for head rebuild! Mines getting done at PSI tuning in stoke!