Sign in to follow this  
mrbeige

Removing 16v engine

Need to strip the front of the Rado down to take the engine out, found this to remove the bumper and this to remove most of the front end . Is there anything else I should know? What else should I do to get t the engine? I don't have an engine hoist, so a trolley jack will be used under the block. Never donr this sort of thing so any advice is greatly received.

Oh and how do you get the fogs and indicators out?

Cheers

Beigy

Just leave the fogs and indicators in the bumper and remove the electrical connections.

Trolley jack will make life harder, make sure you fit it before you start unbolting the front end after the bumper if off or it will fall on the floor along with the front crossmember and rad support panel.

If you are taking it out with the gearbox then the driveshafts need to come off, do them first whilst you still have some weight on the wheels or get an assistant (Mrs B) to podge the brake pedal with the car in gear.

Grill, then headlights.

Battery and airbox out.

This should give you enough room to get at the fog light and indicator plugs.

Will probably have to loosen the inner arch liners to get the bumper to flex around them.

Then its the front engine mount bolt followed by the 4 each side that hold the crossmember and rad support in IIRC.

Up to you how you remove the water plumbing but I took my whole lot out and split it at the heater matrix connections.

first thing id undo is the hub nuts,then undo strut lower bolts and remove the driveshafts,then undo the 6 bolt exhaust downpipe flange