Sign in to follow this  
VR6 South

Sun Roof Saga

I have just fallen victim to my sun roof giving up the ghost :( , well almost. It tilts up but totally refuses to go back. The motor sounds as if it is trying to do the business, I have the feeling it's something mechanical. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Cheers. The roof moves back a little (a couple of mil) and there are some small scrape marks to the paint work on the l/h side of the sun roof. Do you think that it's still the same thing?

Yes.

The cable on the LHS has broken loose from the sliding part of the mechanism on that side so it can only pull.

It's likely that you will also have to replace the locking lever on that side.

If you're really unlucky, you'll also need the mounting for the locking lever.

I haven't actually done the repair myself, but by all accounts it's more of a fiddly, annoying job than complex.

mines starting to sound like its grinding, has done for the last week, I put some silicon grease on it at lunchtime today, but it doesn't seem to have fixed it. I applied the grease to the grooves where the runners go. Just don't want mine to snap, or to damage the motor. Bloke at work suggests cleaning the groove completely, de greasing it, and applying some thinner lubricant, does this sound the right way to go?

Cheers,

Thera

Mine died a couple of weeks ago.

Think its more a melted motor though, since I trapped something in the roof and it wasn't too happy about it!

Ah well, moonroof conv. in the spring then.

P.S. Why are you opening the sunroof? Don't you need sun and heat for that? :p

I still use the tilt, as its nice to have hot air blowing into the car and some fresh air venting too.