Sign in to follow this  
dutchboy

Very unusual problem

I have a 2.0 16v Rado (1993), recently bought off a guy on here. I love the car to bits but it has a very unusual engine problem. It's intermittent but when i'm giving it some stick say in 4th gear and hit 4000rpm it cuts all power then immediatley comes back in again then it loses it again, and then comes back on again and runs fine for ages. It's not a rev limiter coming in too early as it completley shuts the engine off for literally a second or so. Really weird!! Any ideas? It's not missing or anything like that. Wouldn't be an earthing fault would it?

Cheers, Dutch..

Maybe a fueling problem?

Think you'll be trying to hunt it down for a while though as it seems to be intermittant :(

possibly. Where is the fuel pump located on the car cos i can here a sort of whining noise coming from the car, well it sounds like a pump on it's way out. Would that effect things?

I'll put money on it being the air flow meter... I kid you not - I've been through the whole 'it must be the workings of satan' theories with my valver and it always boiled down to the AFM!

Get a decent garage with VAG-COM or similar diagnostics to take a good look and if they fail then call The Phirm for a definitive answer

Hey all i fixed the problem, was the hall sender. I've got another problem now though the list seems endless!!!! :lol: :lol:

Hey all i fixed the problem, was the hall sender.

Hi

Did you clean the old one or put in a new one. How did you narrow it down to the hall sender ?

i replaced the dizzy because i had one lying around and it was that. i now have a vibration at 3000rpm which i cant get rid of.

I dunno what it is about valvers, but i've had 3 with mysterious vibrations between 2.5k and 4k revs. Very annoying!