Sign in to follow this  
double-6s

Help! Trying to remove top-mount nuts :(

Hi

I am desperately trying to get the coilovers off the front of my rado.

I have an alan key and 22mm spanner. Have soaked it with WD40. But I cannot loosen the nuts off however hard I try.

Any tips please? I really need to get the coilies off today!

Thanks

My tip would involve a chubby friend to put the wheel brace over the allen key and hold it, alternatively try to borrow a small compressor and a windy gun, but that might be less easy though. They are bloody tight quite often and needing 2 people and getting medieval on it's ass isn't unusual.

I find, its easier to remove the leg of the car & stick it a vice then work on it...

Bills snap on airgun comes in handy for jobs like this...

My tip would involve a chubby friend to put the wheel brace over the allen key and hold it, alternatively try to borrow a small compressor and a windy gun, but that might be less easy though. They are bloody tight quite often and needing 2 people and getting medieval on it's ass isn't unusual.

Howdy mate :)

Can't see myself getting hold of a small compressor and gun in the next few hours to be honest :(

Hopefully I have enough 'chub' to simulate 2 people? :) Nice tip on the old wheel brace dude :)

I find, its easier to remove the leg of the car & stick it a vice then work on it...

Bills snap on airgun comes in handy for jobs like this...

I don't follow mate? How can I remove the whole lot as it's fixed on at the top mount is it not?

Get a fooking great long pole on the end of it for more leverage! Also try some plus gas instead of wd40, i used it when doing all my suspension bushes and it worked a treat!

Get a fooking great long pole on the end of it for more leverage! Also try some plus gas instead of wd40, i used it when doing all my suspension bushes and it worked a treat!

Is that available from Halfrauds mate?

Is that available from Halfrauds mate?

I dont know tbh, the halfords near me has always been pretty w*ank at stocking anything! I got mine from a local car parts/accessories/audio place.

i think you can get plus has from halfords but i got mine from a friendly inddependant one, much more use of proper stuff like that, o and i'd agree on the bloody great pole... it took me a breaker bar and a 1.5m length on old galv pipe and i'm no midget! :lol:

Howdy mate :)

Can't see myself getting hold of a small compressor and gun in the next few hours to be honest :(

Hopefully I have enough 'chub' to simulate 2 people? :) Nice tip on the old wheel brace dude :)

They can be bloody tight, so you might need a chum, but as they are quite new so they shouldn't be too stuck. I'd get distressed if you need a bigger lever that the wheel brace as the allen key would start to open out fairly easily above that.

Cranked ring spanner and hit the end of it with a hammer. It's like the slow version of an impact gun. :?

Cranked ring spanner and hit the end of it with a hammer. It's like the slow version of an impact gun. :?

I have tried mate. Unfortunately it's too recessed to get even an extended ring spanner on there securely, so hitting it with a hammer just knocks it off :(

You need an especially deeply cranked spanner, I bought one at BVF specially for this., otherwise use a pair of mole grips to clamp a socket and drop the allen key through the top.

If you want to borrow my spanner, I'll be in Fareham tomorrow could meet you somewhere.

You need an especially deeply cranked spanner, I bought one at BVF specially for this., otherwise use a pair of mole grips to clamp a socket and drop the allen key through the top.

If you want to borrow my spanner, I'll be in Fareham tomorrow could meet you somewhere.

I'm not at all confident I can get it off mate. I may well give up and get it towed round the corner to a garage or to g-werks where the suspension transplant is happening.

Cheers for spanner offer :)

Drive it to a garage and get them to undo with an air gun>

It doesn't have an engine, gearbox, interior, seats....

another alternative is to punch the top edge of the nut somewhere and using a 3 or 4 mm drill bit very slowly drill down the side of the nut, making sure not to get too close to the thread, when you've got a nice slice into it then use a small chisel to split the nut open, did this once and it worked a treat, just take your time with the drill.

There's Zero stress on this now Wilhelm i've explained to Daz whats going on & pm'd ya dude....perhaps just try soaking it in plus gas for a few days then try again later next week!

I'm not at all confident I can get it off mate. I may well give up and get it towed round the corner to a garage or to g-werks where the suspension transplant is happening.

Cheers for spanner offer :)

You can borrow my battery Impact gun if you get stuck mate.. I allways use this in times of need.

Nice one dude. Much appreciated.

I'll give you a ring monday morning first thing mate and discuss.

Decided to try and fit the front shockers ive bought, after doing the rear last week. Eventually i got the top- mount nuts off. Then went to take the 2 bolts off that hold the shocker onto the hub. B*gger me, both nuts on both sides are tight as h3ll, i just cant budge them.. I've now left them soaked with WD40 to see if that helps. Anyone else had problems getting these bolts undone. Anyone got any advice?

Cheers

Gaz