Sign in to follow this  
vwdeviant

Eh? Booked for driving and smoking?

I can understand the fag in one hand lighter in the other scenario, not that anyone needs to do that. But this is going to get out of hand. I wouldnt be suprised ,though still appauled, if smoking does get banned while driving - Rediulous as it sounds.

Why?

If you can't eat an apple and drive then why should smoking be acceptable?

I remember a conversation down the pub and the smokers were all recalling 'close calls' when they had been smoking and driving, fags ends setting light to themselves and the back seats etc..

And let's face it, most people could do with concentrating on driving the car these days rather than tabbing, playing with the sat nav, telling the kids off etc etc.

I dont agree with not being able to eat an apple and drive. I do it on the way to work and never have come close to having an accident. I never had a fallen cig end incident either (though im not saying it hasnt ever happened to other motorists). When i said its going to get out of hand i meant where will it stop. As already said above, will you be able to have a scratch while driving :lol: Will radios have to be off or volume set to low, passengers to sit in silence etc.[/quote:3422a]

I didn't say I agreed with it just that there have instances of the fuzz nicking people who have been eating an apple, drinking a bottle of water etc. If they nick people for that then why has smoking been acceptable for so long?

The new guidelines do also recommend not talking to passengers as well ;)

I am not saying that all bar a few drivers go everywhere with both hands on the wheel but if I want to tighten my lines up through corners etc then both hands are better than one from a car control point of view.

Personally I think smoking at the wheel should be banned. Just don't see how it can be safe- e.g. if there's a crash at 70mph + in front of you on the motorway, you're gonna be fubar'd for sure, whereas if you had both hands on the wheel where they should be, you'd have a much better chance of avoiding trouble. Food's not a good idea either unless you've got a passenger to feed you :lol:

Dont the fuzz have all the buttons and lights in front of them and the radio going, even them using the radio (on the shoulder) whilst driving?

Yup, but the same could be said for Taxi drivers.

Anyway as police, camera action! are always pointing out the police are highly trained for that sort of thing ;)

Fcuk em. I'm still going to buy and use the same amount of petrol no matter how much it costs. Mad Max anyone?

Bet you won't. When it's £30/litre you will be looking for a push bike.

I personally find it a lot more dangerous looking left and down at the radio to tune a station of or fiddling around trying to insert a CD- it feels a lot more dangerous then lighting a cigarette

I am in fact able actually able to pop a cigarette in my mouth and light it without taking my eyes off the road after years of practise. I keep my cigs and lighter to my left in a well behind the handbrake - this way I can find them just by touch.

To be honest I don't like fiddling with the radio or taking a cd out of it's case whilst driving. I have been in a crash and I am a lot more cautious now. Believe me if lighting a cig posed any danger I would stop it, despite what big brother thinks.

Just a quick sort of related story.

I got a taxi from the Kuwait airport to a place I worked at whilst over there. The driver had a TV in front of the gear stick lodged under the dash. It was one of the all in one small portables with a vhs video built in. It was a big old cadillac with a carpet on the dash board and bobble curtain trim / decorations around the top of the windscreen.He had his video collection in the glove box and got out his favorite arabic singer and popped the tape in. In the back he had removed the arm rest and had a big push to dispense flask containing overbrewed hot sweet tea. Whilst driving he kept leaning over and pouring me a fresh brew (even though I had enough, I felt I could not be rude and say no). I asked if I could smoke and he said (sway, sway! - which means, no problem go ahead). He then got out a big crystal cut glass ashtray and put it on top of the telly.

Best cab journey I ever had :)

What a large, reinforced bin liner full of sheet.

I know, let's ban the use of the rear view mirror aswell shall we?

And whilst we're there, let's ban wiper and indicator stalks too, they weaken your grip on the steering wheel.

Better stop selling manual gearboxes too as that's one hand off the steering wheel.

Better not turn our heads left or right either until we have come to a complete stop at roundabouts either.

In fact, why don't we just have fixed neck braces and glue our hands to the steering wheel and operate the controls via voice activation?

Or why not get all these bureacrat cnut fcuks with all the bright ideas to come and pick us up in the mornings and take us to work instead?

This is such a non story, police have always had the power to book you if they believe you are doing anything that is causing you drive badly or not be in full control of the vehicle, people have been booked in the past for changing CD's, eating, smoking, picking their nose, fiddling with sat nav, receiving relief from thier partner :lol: ect ect.