Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

ASAP Help, suspension/mounts?

hi folks, am trying to fit my suspension and the early top plate i have for the front spring doesn't seem to fit into the rubber donut bit of the top mount.

do i need early top mounts as well, just phoned VW and they say the early style is one piece and the bit i have (later) is two piece, a rubber bit and a bearing

it will go together but turns out twice as high as the original bits i took off

really need to sort this as car is in pieces and i only have today, am trying to buy the other mounts anyway to see if they right

thanks for the quick reply

the late spring plates just fall through the springs (too small), i ordered early spring plates, so i guess i need early top mounts too?

i've already ordered some early ones a few mins ago so hopefully they will turn up today and all will go back together

I had to buy new 'old' style larger spring plates to fit the weitec kit to mine, but the top mounts were fine... in fact when i asked, VW said they only listed one type of top mount for the corrado, let alone the VR6.....

anyway, they fitted fine.... you just need the spring plate to fit nicely with bottom of the bearing, not the rubber top mount....

pb

just typed an epic and it hasn't posted :( so sorry if the post is a bit short hand

got it all fitted, bought both styles of plates and top mounts.

DSC00196.jpg

here's how we assembled the front shocks

DSC00195.jpg

DSC00194.jpg

once it was fitted to car, the metal bit you see under bonnet and coming through the turrent wasn't sitting on the turrent but hoovering above, we assumed that if you went over a big hump the shock would move up and down and thud????

so we took off the nut holding the spring cap on and refitted the very final top metal bit so it was sat flush and actually tight on the turrent bit of car? not sure if this is right?

also was a washer shown in the exploded diagram of shock (bentley manual) that was nowhere to be found, not on the bits that came off car and not with any new stuff

thanks for any help, been my first time working on a car

thats not how the diagram looked? and i'm sure that how the old ones were arranged on car?

:lol:

i thought the bellows protects the strut and the bumpstop sits on top, like the pics?

Well i think it may. Ive just taken my front shockers off and the bump stop was under the bellows. The bellows covers the bumps stop.

Which diagram are you referring to?

Here's the ETKA diagram.

am off to recheck my diagram :lol:

the stop even had a rasied lip on the bottom that fitted/clicked into place on the top of the bellows?

i'm not doubting you as i'm no expert at all

just looking at the pics i posted and they "did" clip into the bellows before we cut them down.

or that could of been the rear i'm thinking of :?

this is the rear fitted to car

DSC00184.jpg

should i get it all off and refit or not?

will it need tracking again?

if i just leave this what will happen? will car explode? :lol:

The diagram does imply the bumpstop be on top of the bellows. But im pretty certain it should be under it, with the bellows covering it. Suprised no one else has been to advise you. I would refit imo, the bump stop will work better if its under the bellows. Just finished suspension last night, not sure if im happy with the result. Will post pics in existing thread.

i'm going to leave it for now, if it only protects the bumpstop i don't mind as this suspension will be upgraded in a year or so

Hey, im experiencing the exact same problem with the front shocks. its like its not tightening properly. been considering cutting the top cap and welding it a bit shallower so it tightens up.

What is the correct way of doing it? i can take pics if neccessary.

Cheers

There are difference in the old and new suspesnion setups.

I ahve another question. For the later setup, does teh spring plate (small) face with the taller conic section into the spring or away from it? The reason i ask is because this side has a pin sticking out perpendicular to the plate, which i assume is sited against the end of the spring to stop it rotating. Bently seems to show it otherwise. Any other pics of the late suspension in pieces?

Ah pants!

Having read through this thread, and looking at the pictures, I think I've fitted mine with early spring caps but late mounts. Think that could be what's giving me a knocking noise when turning the steering wheel.......

Do you have a part number/price for the early top mounts mate?

i have some early top mounts in my garage, but they aren't VW ones i don't think. i ended up buying different springs because i didn't like the look of the early stuff :lol:

i had the funny noise when turning at low speeds after fitting early plates with late mounts, steering didn't seem right to me, thats why i changed and it feels much better

i had the funny noise when turning at low speeds after fitting early plates with late mounts, steering didn't seem right to me, thats why i changed and it feels much better

Sounds about right, I've lived with it for the last few months. Think I'd better get some early mounts! :lol:

Think I may have found the answer to your problem 3corsameal! bit late I know as I know own the springs in question!

When folks mention early spring plates I thought they were meaning early as in the older 16v/g60 stlye ones like you have pictured.

I found out today that there are two types of spring plate for the VR6 as seen in this picture on this thread courtesy of Yan!

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=58752

Early VR6 and late VR6...

:censored: vw!!

Hope that helps.

yeah thats why i sold the springs and got different ones that work with late VR Spring plates/caps

so i now have late caps, late mounts and springs to suit

:lol: