Sign in to follow this  
Matty Newquay

Tuning 1.8 16v Advice

Okay i was just wanting some advice really!

I have had my rado for about a yr now and just want to make her a little faster!

I've gone back to bbs 15 inch wheels so its a litle faster off the mark!

I have a k+n pannel filter with a driled air box

A straight through stainless exhaust from mainfold to rear silencer i think its 2.5 thick

Is there any other simple mods i can do to improve the performance?

Cheers guys

If you're happy all the ignition components are in good nick and your wheel alignment is OK, get it booked in for a rolling road setup, a bit of extra ignition advance on super unleaded and the correct adjustment of CO and the warm up regulator and you should see a noticeable improvement throughout the rev range.

Cheers for the advice!

I relaced the coil and all the leads and rota arm about 2 months ago so they're all good!

Same with wheel alignment, thats was all set up after i changed back to 15's cos i dropped it some more.

Any ideas wat a 1800 valver should roughly be producing bhp wise??

Cheers

Any ideas wat a 1800 valver should roughly be producing bhp wise??

136bhp factory, IIRC

Other options are the 50mm inlet Manifold, 4 branch exhaust manifold.

You could always go for a 2.0 bottom end which will see a serious up in power, may sound drastic but they are readily available and are cheap..

How much work does that involve?

And what needs to be changed to put a different bottom end on?

Cheers

Just the bottom end, the head and gearbox bolt straight up to it, and most of the ancilliaries will go straight on too.

You'll need the fueling adjusting afterward, but Vince at stealth is supposed to be very good at getting good results from these setups.

You could fit a turbo, providing you have 2.5 - 3k handy!

Thats just being silly though... :)

Lol no i dnt wanna spend all that!!

So if i sourced a 2ltr bottom end would i need to also get the ancilliaries off that engine or will mine just bolt into place!!

Where is this stelth place?

Lol no i dnt wanna spend all that!!

So if i sourced a 2ltr bottom end would i need to also get the ancilliaries off that engine or will mine just bolt into place!!

Where is this stelth place?

all you need is a 2L 16v bottom end, passat or audi, although the audi ones will have the wrong sump pan and oil pump pickup pipe, all the rest is a direct swap

Stealth is a long way from you, Southam, nr Coventry.

You could fit a turbo, providing you have 2.5 - 3k handy!

Thats just being silly though... :)

I'd drive one :D!

So would i if youd like to sponsor the project...

Got to admit im considering doing the 2.0 thing to the Golf, im in now hurry but it is as cheap as chips to do..

ANyone know what would be an expected output?

...Got to admit im considering doing the 2.0 thing to the Golf, im in now hurry but it is as cheap as chips to do..

reliable 160bhp 140lb/ft with a standard head and 1.8 cams, possibly a bit more, tip top condition and a flowed head you're looking at closer to 180bhp.

I ended spending quite a bit of dosh tweaking my 1.8 16V Motor! My advice, don't bother, rip it out and drop in summat more meaty such as a 1.8T or V6 24V!

...Got to admit im considering doing the 2.0 thing to the Golf, im in now hurry but it is as cheap as chips to do..

reliable 160bhp 140lb/ft with a standard head and 1.8 cams, possibly a bit more, tip top condition and a flowed head you're looking at closer to 180bhp.

when you say 180bhp is that at the wheels at the flywheel. I got a RR with my car (2.0 16v 9A) when i bought it and it says it has 164bhp at the flywheel, 125bhp at the wheels. Is this good?!!

when you say 180bhp is that at the wheels at the flywheel. I got a RR with my car (2.0 16v 9A) when i bought it and it says it has 164bhp at the flywheel, 125bhp at the wheels. Is this good?!!

I was saying 180 estimated at the crank.

125bhp at the wheels is pretty healthy though, for comparison a standard 1.8 16v usually sees around 110bhp, an 8v 1.8 GTI would be lucky to make 100, usually nearer 90-95.

to make more than 180bhp from a 2L 16v it's going to have to be built for revs and have higher lift cams, the only problem then is you move the torque curve higher up the rev range too.

A few people have mentioned to me before about a 1.8 head on a 2 litre. Ive got a 2 litre 16v and am looking for a bit more poke so what exactly do i need? 1.8 head? Inlet manifold? I dont have a lot of knowledge on engines to be honest. Any help appreciated.

changing head wont make a difference, some have different size ports but swappping the 2 over wont make a noticable difference unless they are ported