Sign in to follow this  
Jon_vr6

Need help cleaning the DOHC VR6 plastic cover

Right as above mine is a yellowish colour and doesnt look very nice is there any way of getting it back to its former glory ?? products??

Cheers

You could try some boiling water and some Megs APC..

The majority of those covers are a bit yellow..

Ive just cleaned up the manifold so its a bit more bling now and the cover is just letting the engine bay down!

Have you considered painting it in a factory looking engine paint?, i cleaned/ polished my manifold up and used halfords aluminium look paint which you can use on the plastic as well, providing you prepare and mash off the bits you dont want painted it looks brand new again :D

The new ones are quite interesting with blue and red writing but daft money at £60. I made a balls up when building up an exchange engine for a customer and ordered a new one twice, make me an offer? (if I can still find it).

Ah yeah the red and blue ones PM me when you find it plz! And does it have "VR6 DOHC" on it dont want the golf 2.8 one lol!

The dishwasher will probably get the crud off the plastic, but it'll definitely strip the foam backing off it.

I'd also wager that the actual plastic has gone yellow, so even after you clean it, you won't get it back to silver without re-painting it.

You'll probably find that the paint has discoloured and all the cleaning in the world will not make that much difference. I took mine to a bodyshop and got them to paint it when they were doing a silver car. It's now in VW reflex silver and better than new.

Found it but it has two very tiny scratches in the red lettering, one on the D and one on the C (it is Mass Red 80 I think) and slight dulling of the silver in two tiny spots on the left. £20 and £5 for postage?

Mass red 80??? eh? 25 quid all in yep thats fine with me how do you want paying paypal ok?? And its the VR6 DOHC one isnt it??