Sign in to follow this  
dinkus

How to convert a 4WD 02M gearbox to 2WD

I was having a peruse through ETKA the other day trying to work out how on earth you convert a 4WD 02M gearbox to 2WD and I think I've found it!

The 2WD and 4WD versions of the gearbox appear to be identical (there are a few ever so slightly different final drive ratios for the 02M but neither seem to be specific to either the 2WD or 4WD version)...apart from one part as per below...

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdf02M 4WD Diff.gif[/attachment:d7fc3]

02M 2WD Diff.gif[/attachment:d7fc3]

The parts are all listed on the diagram and it looks like the total list price for them all is around £60.

I've not actually tried this yet, but it is the only difference I can see between the two 'boxes and it makes sense that the only difference is the output flange.

Please note that you won't be able to bolt the standard Corrado driveshafts up to these, but I'm looking into the parts you need to do so. I've heard that it's just a case of buying different flange shafts, but I need to check on that.

Just thought I'd share :)

The clutch (bell) housing is also different and there are two different types between £293.32 and £310.76. Also, when changing the clutch housing the transmission has to be re-shimmed but that isn’t as hard as it sounds. Some special VW tools are required for this job.

If you want to bolt one up to a normal Corrado VR engine then you're going to have a few issues.

Firstly, the 02M box uses 113mm diameter flange shafts (snigger) whereas the Corrado uses 100mm ones. So your inner CV joints won't bolt up.

Secondly, the 6-speed 02M is slightly wider than your average bear, thus the output flanges are further apart, thus you need to shorten the driveshafts.

You may be able to use the 100mm flange shafts from the 02J 5-speed box used on the Beetle amongst others, but I'm not sure if the shaft and splines match up inside the box, so it might not work.

Interesting what you say about the bellhousings tho Crasher I was under the impression it would bolt up, but you'd have a few gaps between engine and bellhousing that would need plugging.

When you say the clutch needs shimming, presumably this is to make sure the clutch doesn't interfere with the 12v VR engine?

My plan was to take the engine and gearbox as one into the C tho, so hopefully not a problem for me ;)

Good info Pinkus Panther mate.....

Maybe I'll wait for you to do yours first and then you can give me a list of parts / tasks that I need to do ;-)

I'll try and patch together the bits of info I've picked up from numerous Vortex and Club GTI posts to put together a definitive guide for the Corrado.

Latest bits of info I've found out are about chaging the actual shifter in the car and what bits you need to swap to get it to fit. Still not 100% sure how much welding's involved, but if I've read what I've found correctly then hopefully none or very little (just welding a new bracked to the underside of the tunnel).

Also the Dutchdub "buy the 02M mount and bolt it in" thing sounds like a partial story to... you buy the Dutchdub bracket, hack off the existing mount from the chassis leg, attach Dutchdub bracket to gbox, attach mount to bracket to see where it needs to be re-welded to the chassis leg.

Yes I was very dubious of the claim - "All you need is a dutchdub mount and it bolts right in" :lol:

This my friend is an awesome thread 8) http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2633108

Bill Schimmel is currently doing an 02M conversion so I'll get the low down from him too.

This is what happens to an 02A when you put 800hp through it :shock:

So you have a copy of the current ETKA do you Dom? Hope VW don't notice that.

LOL, I think the copy he is using actually came from a local dealer... they really don't care and the guys at my local TPS much prefer me ringing up with a list of numbers rather than 'i need a.. for a ... ' and then them having to ask for year . chassis etc...