Sign in to follow this  
chuck

CV boot replacement

I'll be attempting this tomorrow for the MOT on saturday (it'll be kinda like an exam at school/uni - its testing me on all the work I've done on it this year).

The Haynes manual for the golf is a bit unclear. Does the whole shaft need to come out for this? If not, how do you "...drive the outer joint from the driveshaft..."?

Also any hints on releasing the hub nut would be great. Once the rain stops ( :x ) and I can get at it, I'll soak the nut in WD40, but I tried last week and it wouldn't budge. Car started moving backwards, and I nearly broke my back.

Hiya Chuck!

To undo the outer CV/hub nut, you usually either need an air gun (loads of use for home mechanics huh? :roll: ) or a mate in the car pushing on the brake peddle as hard as possible with chocks under the wheels to stop the car going anywhere... Oh, and a sodding enormous long bar to give the leverage you need!

If it's the same as a MKII golf then to "drive the outer joint from the driveshaft" you take the whole shaft, grip it tightly and gently "drive" it off the end of the shaft with a BIG hammer and a block of wood... :lol: (hit the wood, not the CV so you don't damage the CV joint!)

Good luck!

Hi Henny, you mean take the shaft out and grip it in a vice? Cuz if so , I'll have to take it somewhere else, as I ain't got a vice.

Hi Henny, you mean take the shaft out and grip it in a vice? Cuz if so , I'll have to take it somewhere else, as I ain't got a vice.

Nah, you should be able to get your brake peddle mate to hold it tight enough for you to be able to knock the CV off... It's not mega tight, it just needs "persuading"! :wink: :lol:

dazzyvr6 If you leave it on the car while you're knocking the outer shaft off, I always thought that you were likely to damage the inner joint 'cos it's not designed to take impacts in that direction... :? I could well be wrong on this though, I've just always taken the shaft off to do the outer joints... Inners I do on the car though... 8)

thats why i said best to get someone to hold the drive shaft while you tap it off,no need to use a big hamer,you only need to tap it off

I might have to do the inner too, tho it looks like you can drive that one out OK. Like you say henny I was unsure as to how much abuse the inner joint could take with someone "gently tapping" the outer joint off. Tho I'm pretty sure the guy who did the other side didn't take the whole shaft off.

I'll have a looksee tomorrow.

no need to use a big hamer

HEATHEN! you ALWAYS have to use a BIG hammer at least once in any job you do... :lol: 8)

That could just be me though :oops: :roll:

Sorry :lol:

Cheers dazzyvr6. I'll store that little bit of info for if I need to do mine 8) tips and info like that are always useful... I forgot to say, it's a while since I had to do an outer CV and I've never done one on a C... 8) yet... :wink: :roll:

Good luck Chuck 8)

Well, that wasn't too hard. I got it changed without taking the whole drive shaft out, tho I did require a big hammer :wink: .

Anyway, cheers guys.

YAY! You da man! Anyone who uses a BIG hammer gets my vote! :lol:

I'll have to try not taking it fully off next time I need to do one...

Glad you got it sorted anyway... 8)