martyjmcfly

What controls or affects the air/fuel mixture on a VR?

Hi all, just had the engine bay steam cleaned and all is fine and dandy me thinks.

However, when i started it from cold for the first time i left it to warm up to clear the windows, all seemed fine. A couple of minutes later the engine started to dive really low and just catch itself almost stalling but not if that makes sense. This went on for about 30 seconds and then it was fine. During the extremely low reving action i attempted to rev it thinking it was the ISV needing a clean but this had no effect, it almost did the opposite. When i say low reving i mean how the hell did that engine not stop! The engine stall light actually came on then went out as it recovered. Its lucky i wasn't driving as i would have been in trouble.

I cleaned the ISV thinking it would sort it but it still does it.

After it sorts itself out the car drives like normal so it must be temperature related and affecting the air fuel mixture at a certain point

The searches i've done bring up G60 problems but those idling problems seem to be constant not like mine which is fine after its sick period.

Any help mucho appreciated guys!

Personally, I new steam clean an engine unless I have no choice, it always causes trouble. You could have water in a switch/sender or plug which turns to steam when hot and condenses into a pool when cold so remove all the switch connections and blow them out with an air line and some water dispersant.

Update - all sorted FLIPPING YIPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :D

The steam cleaning did me favour in that it highlighted a bodge job on the lambda probe loom plug. Some monkey put a speaker connector on the end section. The plastic that holds the proper connector in place was knackered and there is no way on hells earth that the pin on the lamba connector had a proper connection. The wiring was loose going into the plug so water must have got into the plug throught the lack of insulation.

When i was speeding up the fuel economy was getting better for F sake :lol:

So there you have it job done (during the process of locating said problem/previous bodge all three temp senders were replaced as was the coolant and every sensor plug was cleaned with contact cleaner)

:)

Where does the wiring from the lamba probe to the car go? I need to change mine as i have EXACTLY the same problems as you describe!

I had the same problem with my g60 and I was a bit stumped when I found out it was my lambda sensor feed, as this was happening from cold start I thought the lambda sensor would be ignored and the chuck in shite loads of fuel to get it started map would be used?

Where does the wiring from the lamba probe to the car go? I need to change mine as i have EXACTLY the same problems as you describe!

I would think the loom runs from the probe on the exhaust to the ECU? Or maybe not?

I'm sure someone'll be along soon to explain...

I think the loose wire on the lambda plug in the engine bay is a common occurance, it happened to me too. :s

and where is this plug in the engine bay?

Where does the wiring from the lamba probe to the car go?

The connector is below the inlet pipe work to the throttle body, clipped to the inner wing. Then into the loom.

Where does the wiring from the lamba probe to the car go?

The connector is below the inlet pipe work to the throttle body, clipped to the inner wing. Then into the loom.

thankyou very much!

Thread resurrection...

I have a loose wire on the lambda car side (white wire). No amount of temporary bodging in place seems to fix the problem (it did for about 5 minutes!), tired of stalling all the time!. I think the actual connector itself has had it. Is this easy enough to replace or will I have to do some splicing? Where does the cable lead to into the car?

Cheers

I had a auto electrician come round and he just spliced and stuck a spade connection on there. Despite him saying he will return and put a proper connector back on it. t0sser.