CazzaVR

The definitive "What Air Filter?" discussion thread

Blimey, that's quite a difference! :shock: Would never have thought that would happen! Learn something new every day :)

You're not the only one mate - we redid it a couple of times to make sure as well. Suppose the moral of the story - don't always believe the hype...

On the same token, a BMC CDA has shown a 7hp increase over the standard paper filter on a standard Golf VR6. So whilst that experiment was a good one, it doesn't prove it's the same situation outside of the G60 environment :wink:

Engines aren't that simple!

On the same token, a BMC CDA has shown a 7hp increase over the standard paper filter on a standard Golf VR6. So whilst that experiment was a good one, it doesn't prove it's the same situation outside of the G60 environment :wink:

Engines aren't that simple!

Oh, absolutely. But what it des highlight is the fact the 'good for one' is not always 'good for all'. Out of interest, anyone getting good things from a BMC on a G60?

Hi all,i'm new on here.but just to say,I bought and ran a ram-air pro ram(the bucket sized filter) and although fairly loud i believe is not as loud as the k&n.On full chat it sounded like a TVR=Awesome!But because of the size i think it sucked too much hot air in and when the weather was hot or if i was stuck in traffic for a while the engine went sluggish and had less power than the standard filter because of the extremely hot air.but when it was cool was so much better than standard.so that says it all,a sealed filter is better in my opinion.dont forget these vr's get so hot under the bonnet

pete

just putting my 2 pence in, i had a K&N cone filter just on the end of the MAF, got dirty all the time from the engine bay and road dirt etc.

Put a standard air box and air filter on and have noticed its NOT as responcive as the K&N, i think the K&N just gives it a little more poke. not alot but can tell a little.

If i had the money id get a bmc cda, but im too skint!

i have been a bit worried about the air intake temperature due to my Pipercross PK223 filter.

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfkjet.jpg[/attachment:182fyc91]

so i have carried out several air intake temperature tests and the results are:

the air around the filter and the air being consumed by the engine is the same as the outside temperature.

when not in motion (in traffic) the intake temperature goes up to about 30 degrees with an outside temp of 13 degrees),

but as soon as the corrado starts to move all that hot air that has gathered up under the bonnet gets forced out the back very fast.

i have made a cold air intake mod and here are some pics. (THIS MOD DOES NOT EFFECT THE COOLENT TEMP AT ALL)

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdffront2.JPG[/attachment:182fyc91]

inside2.JPG[/attachment:182fyc91]

i hope this is helpful :D

i have made a cold air intake mod and here are some pics. (THIS MOD DOES NOT EFFECT THE COOLENT TEMP AT ALL)

i hope this is helpful :D

have you noticed any difference with this?

sure have... before the only cold air could get in through the gaps around the light, thats ok but this mod made the air around the filter cool down a hell of a lot quicker.

my uncle owns a VR6 and we have placed the cold air pipe next to the tow eye and he notices a difference but we have yet to carry out any tempreture test.

after reading this thread i fancy getting the BMC CDA induction kit but i cant find one specifically for the corrado.only golf, lupo, passat, polo and vento. which one fits a VR6?

after reading this thread i fancy getting the BMC CDA induction kit but i cant find one specifically for the corrado.only golf, lupo, passat, polo and vento. which one fits a VR6?

From memory, isn't it just done on engine size rather than model specific?

they only make two sizes of the actual filter bit, its just the brakcet and piece of hose you need, which wouldn't be hard to source or make.

i made my bracket from a bit of metal off the garden fence :lol:

I fitted a K n N cone air filter n my vr6 and after 1 year i had trouble, found out the oil knackered the air mass meter, so had to replace it and get a standard filter box. am still addictted to the barp of a K n N, will a BMC CDA be ok to soothe my addiction or rwill this knacker the AMM again?

BMC should be fine- more lightly oiled than the K&N. Lots of people on here run them with no probs at all. Decent gains to be had too- my last VR gained 7 bhp with a BMC. Leave the pipe off the front though- more noise + doesn't make any difference to the power ;)

i can confirm that a ram air foam filter is extremely loud and you lose power over a standard set up! I had it on for one evening and i think ive had my fix,also apart from being loud i dont think the noise is that great, it rings at high revs. I much prefer the standard airbox and paper filter for a nice refined sound.

I have the Pipercross VR6 thing, had it one there for about a year now?! Am thinking of changing back to the standard filter this weekend, doing lots of Autobahn journey's lately the Pipercross is just starting to piss me off as its so damn loud on full chat.

Well, I've changed back to the standard setup.

Would I notice any difference, or indeed, is there any point of changing the standard panel air filter for a K+N panel filter?

So i've heard a rumor that when you get a full intake kit, it screws up the MAF sensor, i drive a 92 SLC and I LOVE IT! i wouldnt wanna do anything that mite hurt the car. Anyone confirm or deny this?

So i've heard a rumor that when you get a full intake kit, it screws up the MAF sensor, i drive a 92 SLC and I LOVE IT! i wouldnt wanna do anything that mite hurt the car. Anyone confirm or deny this?

There is a danger of damaging the maf with a typical K&N style engine bay induction kit, especially if it's heavily oiled. A cold air kit with the extra length of tubing out of the engine bay is a much better bet, along with the BMC CDA. Carbonio and BMC are the daddies IMHO 8)

Liking the new BMC - little pricey though! :shock:

dowanm1, that kit looks great, but have heard some less than favourable reviews. I would only use a paper filter in a G60- the charger doesn't like ANYTHING coming through, and cotton/sponge filters will let a helluva lot more debris into the charger than an oem paper element.