Sign in to follow this  
andygal

Temp sensor

Hey my VR6 1994 is a little lumpy when cold. After scanning it woth vagcom, its reading a short to earth on the blue temp sensor. Having looked at the sensor, the brown and green wire has been spliced into and a feed taken to the -ve on the battery. I have no idea why this has been done tho.

Anyone got any ideas whats happened or how to fix it??

Cheers,

Andy

I expect 1 side is sposed to be earthed, other side will go to ecu. if the switch is knackered it might be pulling fully to earth all the time?

Hey Andy.

Blue temp sensor is 10 bucks and about 15 mins to do. for that price I would change it anyway and have done. The car will run like nails if the BTS is knackered, as the ECU reads this constantly, as you know.

Put the wiring right, and go from there. Make sure the coolant is not too hot when you pull it out, and if your quick you won't need to top the coolant up too much.

Good Luck

Dic

right new sensor in and the earth wire taken off and it idle'd at 2000RPM. Attached the earth wire and it was perfect.....for 5minutes. As soon as i took it out a run it ended up idling at 1600RPM again!!!

Any ideas??

Cheers,

Andy

Andy, do you have the opportunity to Vagcom it. I wish i had done mine when i first had problems. Would have saved me loads of grief.

I bought a lead for 20 bucks and had the shareware from ross tech. any unknown codes I put in here as a search and sorted everything.

Worth every penny

Dic

Or borrow one.....