Sign in to follow this  
Chris Langdon

no:6 cylinder

hello, can anybody help,

whats the best way of telling if no:6 cylinder has got problems, as i read that VR's suffer with no:6 cylinder. so how can you tell????

many thanks

Chris

hello, can anybody help,

whats the best way of telling if no:6 cylinder has got problems, as i read that VR's suffer with no:6 cylinder. so how can you tell????

many thanks

Chris

Hope that's just a bit of paranoia creeping in Chris and not a real problem :D

Yeah maybe i am being a bit paranoid as you read about the 6 cylinder problem all the time. Just that mine uses a little bit of oil (about 1/2 litre every 1000 miles) and i was looking at the plugs today and ones seemed a bit sooted up or carboned up. I took two plugs out, cylinders 2 and 6, 6 was a bit more blacker than the other.

It runs perfectly fine, no miss firing and i only do relatively short journeys in it, with only 69,000 miles on the clock and full service history with regular oil changes. Do you think i am worrying for nothing?

Any help and advice i would be most grateful.

Cheers

Chris

p.s would this show up on a rolling road test?

yeah cheers for that i saw that in their which is pleasing cos mine doesnt use as much as that, but it still doesnt explain why cylinder 6 spark plug is carboned up as much as cylinder 2's could it be a faulty injector?????? as the spark plug seems t be more carbon fouling ie rich mixture than oil fouling!

Mine's always more carboned up on 1 and 6 but the engine still runs spot on. In my experience VR6s eat plugs, my advice would be if you don't notice any running problems don't lose any sleep over the 1 and 6 running hot debate.

i think your right andy many thanks, i was just that i was talking to TSR Permformance over the phone about my supersprint backbox and happened to talk about the subjuct of my corrado VR6 using a little oil, he turned around and said about the no:6 cylinder is prone to having bore wear and that could be why? cos i sh!t myself,I asked him how could you tell and he relied removing all the spark plugs and no:6 one would be more black or oil fouled then i read in the vw manual that they will use a bit of oil (1litre in 1000km OR 650miles) which mines using 400mls every 700miles so more than half what vw state!!!

so at the weekend just happened to take cyl: 2 and 6 out and 6 was a little more carboned up then cyl: 2 i really should of taken all of them out to compare. i also i only do 6 miles to work in it and then 6 miles back home again, everyday, so that probably dont help much with carboning up the plugs. i also noticed that my plugs im using are Bosch super fours, but aint the VW one NGK. Which ones best???

thanks again for the help guys

regards

Chris L

The platinum tipped NGK BKR5EKUP plug are the OEM plug for VR6s.

The platinum tip supposedly withstands deposit build up.

I normally use BKR5EKU (the same without platinum tips and half the price).

On my last VR I got a bit of build up on 6 (poss due to bore/head wear) but it still ran well with occasional change of no 6 plug. Maybe platinum plugs would have avoided this.

Incidentally ebay is the cheapest source of both the above plugs by some margin.

cheers for the info, was8v im going to dich the bosch ones and go with NGK's, as i think VR6STORM is spot on with the temp range think!!!

im also going to play it save and do a compression test on it as well, just to put my mind at rest. I personally think i worrying to much cos i have read to much info on VR6 problems, i.e the golf mags guide to buyin a Corrado VR, and tim stiles performance book that was brought for me for xmas, (that says in there about the VR6 engine having alot design/engineering compromises in it, because of the fact the i uses one cylinder head, its narrow vee, being compact, and the way the cranks are sat etc etc, and he also goes on to say that the later the vr engine the better, because the improved the pistons and the rings to cope more.

Get those Bosch 4s out of the engine, they're completely wrong!

The VR6 runs well on a variety of plugs, except those!!

I would use NGK BKR5E. They're cheap as chips and whilst you're diagnosing, you don't want to be use expensive dealer platinum plugs, which makes precisely zero difference to how it runs. They're for long life, nothing else.....but longlife assuming they don't get fouled early. Once a plug gets fouled, bin it and replace imo. Hence the BKR5Es. They're £2 each or less.

Why do you say that cheesewire, are they that bad???? :shock: they have been the car about 11 months ago and covered about 2500 miles on them would it of done much damage using them??? :(

i'm using ngk iridiums - i know they are a bit of overkill for my car, but i can drive the car as hard as i want and not have to worry about the plugs until i change the engine at the end of the year now- got mine for £35 delivered off shebay...

well the story so far!!!!

well have removed Sh*ty Bosch super 4s and put the NGK's (many thanks to cheesewire for the tip off) in and made a big difference seemed to run alot better, the Bosch ones when i took them out were a sort of brick redy colour of the core, im guessing this means they were over heating or generally not coping to well with being in the VR Engine.

the one other thing i noticed tho was that when i took plug number 6 out it was a little wet, and smelled of fuel!!!!

any ideas

many thanks

Chris L