Sign in to follow this  
KIPVW

Volt and Bar guage's

Hi All,

Anyone know where to get the guage's which fit in the centre console from? :?

Thanks.

Kip.

Quite tempted to get one of these myself. Are they easy to install? Would you run the voltmeter off something like the glovebox light or directly to the battery?

Erm, surely oil pressure in bar and battery volts? :lol:

Apparently the gauges themselves aren't too bad to install, but you need to swap one of the oil pressure sensors and run a wire to it.

I just bought these at Xmas and haven't fitted them yet as I can't see how I can get to the pressure sensor with the Schrick manifold in the way.

In any case, I'd order quick as I nearly didn't get mine due to low stock apparently. VW wouldn't release without the chassis number and they had to say I had them from new and had gone faulty (or so they said).

Cheers Bill, Will get some first then have a chat with you :)

Thanks!

Do these work on all Corrado's or just VR's?

In theory should work on all Jim provided the 16V has the 2 oil pressure switches on the oil cooler which I think they do if they're they same as the Mk2 Golf 16v IIRC.

Cheers Bill, Will get some first then have a chat with you :)

Thanks!

Ok Paul, Nice interior finishing touch these :)

yeah pretty easy to fit, mind u i did have to bend bill's ear and few others on here a bit, ive still got alot of the part numbers if any body needs them and i think i have some step by step photos of how i installed it? sad i know i even colour coded the wires and used the same install foam so it looked like it VW had installed it!!! u never know whos going to be looking under your dash!!!! :D

i believe there is a wiring harness/loom still available for the main stealer but is silly money!!!

Erm, surely oil pressure in bar and battery volts? :lol:

Doh! Cheers Dom :roll:

Hi,

I have these installed in my 2.0 16v, they're easier to install on the valver than the VR as there is a bit more room in the engine bay to get to the oil pressure sender. A friend of mine who worked for VW/Audi at the time sourced the parts for me and got me an oil pressure sender and a T-piece which fits neatly on the top of the oil filter housing with the existing oil pressure sender. An alternative is to use a dual pole oil pressure sender from merlin motorsport.

I can post pictures/details of the install if required.

Neil

94 Flash Red 16v

Hi,

I have these installed in my 2.0 16v, they're easier to install on the valver than the VR as there is a bit more room in the engine bay to get to the oil pressure sender. A friend of mine who worked for VW/Audi at the time sourced the parts for me and got me an oil pressure sender and a T-piece which fits neatly on the top of the oil filter housing with the existing oil pressure sender. An alternative is to use a dual pole oil pressure sender from merlin motorsport.

Neil

94 Flash Red 16v

Got my dual pole sender from Merlin, thought they'd work in a valver but it's so long since I had the Golf 16v wasn't quite sure about the oil cooler and sender arrangement - you can go for it now Jim :)

Hi,

An alternative is to use a dual pole oil pressure sender from merlin motorsport.

Neil

94 Flash Red 16v

Hi Neil, dual pole oil pressure sender? Can you get one to do both low and high pressure then? My new engine oil filter head (24V conversion) has space for only one 1 sender and I thought I had to get a T-piece to make space....but maybe not??? :lol:

doh, just realised oil pressure not temp......

Got these fitted today by VW & Audi Centre at Stonehouse (as recommended by Chazrad who they remembered well) . They did a really top job that I'm sure I would have faffed out around with for hours if I'd tried doing it myself (they took just under 2hrs with liberal breaks for car chat and coffee). Really nice finishing touch to the cabin and look the biz when its dark. :D

Volts reading just under 14 and 2 bar @ 2000 rpm which I'm assuming is normal :?

Volts reading just under 14 and 2 bar @ 2000 rpm which I'm assuming is normal :?

Yip, thats normal, the pressure will be higher when the car is cold..

Got mine from the link Goldie put up a while ago, Cheers mate! think i'll have a go myself though first as then i know whats been done. thats if i can figure it out :lol: Jude has some in her new storm so can at least look where the wire's are routed.

As said in an early post these are getting rare and they asked me for my chassis number so any one after some i'd crack on if i was you!

How much did they charge for fitting? I might take mine over as I've had them since Xmas and not got round to it.

They charged 1.5hrs - £67.50 + VAT which I thought was reasonable given how fiddly a job it was. The guy(Dan?) obviously new a lot about Corrados and pointed out one or two things I need to get done in the engine bay. Good little garage - I'd use them again. Also noted they are agents for Milltek.

I took the Wiki guide with me but I think he may have deviated from that on the live feed. The dial illumination is excellent and works with the dashboard dimmer as well.

Goldie - thnx - you're quite right, pressure was up (around 6 bar) when I first fired her up this morning, started dropping gradually when oil temperature got over 70/80.

I think KipVW is right about how long these are going to be available as I also had to supply a chassis number when I ordered.

Vaughan

Did he use the wire from the glove box light to get it to dim with the dash?

Did he use the wire from the glove box light to get it to dim with the dash?

Sorry Kip don't know. Seemed like he spent most of the time on the drivers side of the car so maybe not?

From memory these gauges have 4 connectors on the back, all labelled in German:

1) Earth

2) Volts (for the voltmeter)

3) Oil pressure - attach to the oil pressure sender

4) Illumination

1) and 3) are fairly obvious, you will have to route a wire into the engine bay for the oil pressure sender.

I connected 2) to the switched live on the glove box illumination supply (before the switch, check that it turns on/off with the ignition key and not when you close the glove box lid) and 4) to the illumination supply to the cigarette lighter.

Connecting 2) to the switched live on the glove box illumination has the effect of the volt gauge turning on when you turn the ignition key. I have seen 2) wired to the battery positive terminal which will give a more accurate reading but the voltmeter will be permanently on. I have seen a few cars wired this way, a good voltmeter will only draw a tiny current when not in use, way less than an alarm so current draw isn't really an issue.

Neil S

94 Flash Red 16v