Sign in to follow this  
willg60

Mocal Oil Cooler Just fitted - Question ... ?

Hi,

Been outdoors all day removing all the skin from my knuckles .. also managed to fit a 13 row oil cooler! Had a few issues and just wanted to check if anyone can confirm if what I have done is OK. I had to cut the spigget thing so that I just had a threaded piece so that I could fit the sandwich plate properly .. is this OK? didn't have many turns on the thread left but guess it doesn't have to be that tight? Also, I didn't have anything to join the old water hoses together, so I just blanked each of them of (using lids from my mothers nail varnish!) - again, is this OK - These aren't main water ways so guessing this won't cause any over heating problems... BTW, tested car and oil never went over 92 degrees, better than 130 that I had last night!

Hi.

yes you need to cut the thread that sticks out from the oil cooler housing so that you can fit the sandwich plate properly.thumbs up.

You need to re route the water pipes.G-werks sell the necessary items.

I believe they are just water pipes from an earlier golf that didn't use oil/water interchanger jobbie.

Yeah those are mk1 gti water hoses, either get them off g-werks or order up from vag :D

I guess you have already done it but you don't have to cut up the threaded tube, you can just use one from a mk1 gti as well, it's exactly the same as what you get by cutting the g60 one down :D

also mk2 golf 1.6 carb models dont have the heat exchanger. I thought its best to leave it there as it helps the engine warm up quicker then the oil cooler can keep the temps stable?

Nice, so blanking these pipes is fine then if your going to replace them with ones that didn't have that extra circuit for the cooler. I would have used a MK1 shaft but I didn' have one, was running out of daylight and needed the car back on the road! It all seems to be running fine and the oil is much cooler. Does take a lot longer to warm up tho, did I hear that you can buy a sandwich plate that has a thermostat built in? Also, I had to position the sandwich plate so that the pipes where coming off at a funny angle as they were fouling on the undrside of the silencer box ... guess an RSR outlet would cure that issue?

Actually, when I did this years ago on my first Corrado, I used a MK1 cooler and I left the original cooler in place, but I remember the oil filter was fouling on the chassis. Can you use a Mk2 Golf filter instead? Think I put a spacer in where the front engine mount was to lift the engine a little ...

Yeah thermostatic sandwich plates are available, thats what i've got, takes a while to heat up but keeps it nice and steady :D

I've heard there is a smaller G60 filter you can get without the nut on the bottom, either that or grind off the nut, should clear the front crossmember then 8)