Sign in to follow this  
quicky1980

VR6 and late 16V driveshafts

I know that the outer cv joints are different on both the 16V and VR shafts. But say if I had VR6 shafts and fitted 16V outer cv's would it work?

I ask because thats the setup I have on my car at the moment, VR6 engine into vr6 gearbox into vr6 inner cv's into vr6 shaft into 16v outer cv into 16v hubs. The hubs are pressed into vr6 uprights. I did this to keep the 4 stud wheels and use mk4 brakes, but ever since the conversion I get a knocking sound which I think is coming from the cv joints. Now before I fit new cv's I need to know if this is a tried method, and that fitting new cv's will cure the knockin or that it will always be there due to the setup.

i have all the VR6 gear to convert the car to 5stud, but will only do that once I find some 5 stud wheels i like and can afford.

Also whats the worst that can happen to the drive shafts if the knocking carried on for a while?

thanks

You should check the split ring configuration in each of the outer cv joints to see if they are the same size.

I don't have any pics on me i'm afraid, but sometimes VW used different sized retainer ring things, not too sure why.

...Also whats the worst that can happen to the drive shafts if the knocking carried on for a while?

thanks

you'll stop

you'll lose all drive when one of the CV joints finally gives way, even if it's just one side.

You should check the split ring configuration in each of the outer cv joints to see if they are the same size.

I don't have any pics on me i'm afraid, but sometimes VW used different sized retainer ring things, not too sure why.

when i fitted the cv's back on i didnt know for sure which way around the springs clips should go, due to one side being cupped. Do you guys reckon that the vr/16v is ok and just needs the cv's sorting?

...Also whats the worst that can happen to the drive shafts if the knocking carried on for a while?

thanks

you'll stop

you'll lose all drive when one of the CV joints finally gives way, even if it's just one side.

but you can still replace the CV joint itself if you have to :) the shaft will be fine.

the different shafts (VR6 and 16v) allow the CV's to be swapped (as you already know), but the noise you are experiencing is because the VR shafts are longer than the 16v ones, and I should think you are compressing the joints too much. This is assuming that you are using corrado 16v wishbones and not those from a MK3 4 stud which look near identical, but give a wider track (by 16mm or so)

the different shafts (VR6 and 16v) allow the CV's to be swapped (as you already know), but the noise you are experiencing is because the VR shafts are longer than the 16v ones, and I should think you are compressing the joints too much. This is assuming that you are using corrado 16v wishbones and not those from a MK3 4 stud which look near identical, but give a wider track (by 16mm or so)

Im using VR wide track wishbones, vr uprights with 16v hubs pressed into them. I will change the driveshafts, but wanted to make sure that this arrangement wasnt causing the noise.

tracked it down to either knackered cv joints (even though they arent htat old) or the clutch release bearing is presing against the clutch springs (not that bad as i ned to change the gearbox and clutch soon anyway.

so...vr6 wishbones, vr6 inner cv's, vr6 driveshaft, 2.0 16v (late) outer cv's, 16v hubs, vr6 hub carriers...is this ok for a vr6 with 4 stud wheels (long reason why i done it this way)

ah, ok, with you now.

as long as the driveshafts are compatible with the wishbones, then I have never experienced a problem in that sense. So VR shafts with what you have fitted should be perfectly fine - perhaps a cv issue, if its more obvious on lock, usually clicking, then it would indicate an outer normally

its a constant clonking/clicking/tapping (hard to explain) but its always there, on acc/brake cornering/straights

oh well guesse ill get greesed up and find out.

thanks

if it's constant it would make me think that the inners aren't correctly attached to the flanges on the gearbox.

Have you checked these?

if it's constant it would make me think that the inners aren't correctly attached to the flanges on the gearbox.

Have you checked these?

they are flush if thats what you mean?

Im changing the gear box next week so could do with the driveshafts soon

Hi Quicky, sounds like your the man to answer a few qs i have myself regards this vr/16v strut/hub/shaft combo..

i have just acquired a 1995 golf vr6 & was wondering if i could bolt up the complete strut/hub caliper assembly up to my 1995 corrado 16v(which is currently midway through a 20vt conversion)

Are the splines on the hubs the same as each other? if not im assuming from previous posts on this thread that i could just swap over the outer cv js from the golf vr shafts to the 16v shafts?

im not intersted in the wider track just the bigger brakes & 5 studs

cheers

Lee