Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Full respray?

people think i'm mad, but am now considering having the car fully repainted

has anyone here ever had a full respray? just exterior?

Whats a rough kinda price for something like this? £2k?

Is there any bad bits about having one day? i.e: anything never the same again, hard bits to do?

if the windows have to be taken out how easy is it for them to go back, can you still get the window rubbers?

My respray was done by a mate (at mate rates) but he said to do a full respray would be £1500 but if you want any mods done itd be extra.

Graham

Mine was done for £2100 cash but that was with some damage repair so was actually quite cheap. Tbh despite what people say I think 2k is a safer bet. No point paying £1500, getting a lacklustre job then regretting not spending another £500 for the rest of the time you own the car. But that's just my opinion...

the guy that i have lined up to do it is very good. He does alot of work for VW repairing transit damage on new cars and has sprayed a mates motorbike.

Not been to see him with car yet tho.

the problems i have are:

-both front arches have bubbling/rust where the mudflap would be

-1 rear arch has a dent in it, like a golf ball

-stones chips to bonnet, wings, bumper etc

-chip out of rear bumper about 5p sized

-car park dings on both doors etc

-and two annyoing chips on the other rear arch area

originally i was only going to get front arches done and the one rear arch and leave the rest.

but with it being classic green, isn't it pearlescent?, does this make it harder to spray just a small area?

i thought classic green was the same?

its a 1995 car, just know it as classic green, U8 or something chap said in VW???

YesU8 is classic green pearl effect but thats still diff from green pearl effect which i have

Yours is LC6U

Mine is LC6V

8)

Think there's only one Classic Green, LC6U. The link at the bottom of the buyer's guide seems to confirm that too.

http://www.the-corrado.net/wiki/index.php?title=The_Corrado_Buying_Guide_%26_Checklist

Maybe Goldie's is just the shinier version :)

yes i'd say its that one

Classic Green Pearl Effect U8 LC6U

U8 is what the guy in VW mentioned when he entered reg

YesU8 is classic green pearl effect but thats still diff from green pearl effect which i have

Yours is LC6U

Mine is LC6V

8)

just looked at yours in members gallery, i never knew about that colour

car looks very nice :thumbleft:

As a rough guide, I've had a decent bodyshop in Newbury quote me £2k to do the respray. The problem is, that's plus any external trim bits... which quickly add up to another £1,200 - £1,500 depending on how crazy you get.

No point paying £1500, getting a lacklustre job then regretting not spending another £500 for the rest of the time you own the car. But that's just my opinion...

Indeed but just coz you spend 2k doesnt mean its a better job, I dont want to sound arrogant but my car has won a few trophies so the paint cant be bad....

Its not always how much you pay but the standard of the work...

The best thing to do IMHO...when you see a great paint job ask who did it then go and see the painter and talk it through...

Graham

Mine was done for £2100 cash but that was with some damage repair so was actually quite cheap. Tbh despite what people say I think 2k is a safer bet. No point paying £1500, getting a lacklustre job then regretting not spending another £500 for the rest of the time you own the car. But that's just my opinion...

i take it you have never seen Grahams paint job then?? when/if mine gets done it WILL be getting done at the same place Graham used, its an absolutely perfect paint job 8)

My respray was £1k and I can't complain. They have done work for some well known forum members who have also had good results.

Martin (Vr6 souths) paint work is great and i can vouch for the place he used as they have done my grill and rear panel, along with ABs old Rado and his Mk3 which looks brilliant...

Grahams paintwork is also spot on, not sure who did it but its a lovely job..

I know Mike G60 (auberg) on here is having his Edition one painted by Greg Howell at Southam bodies, this guys work is perfect, not cheap but from what ive seen 100% spot on. Mikes Golf will be back on the streets in about 4 or 5 weeks so that should give everyone an idea od the guys work..

Im just like everyone, id love to have my car redone, there are marks here and there which once ive noticed them just stand out. Its a long way down the list though, all in good time...

No point paying £1500, getting a lacklustre job then regretting not spending another £500 for the rest of the time you own the car. But that's just my opinion...

Indeed but just coz you spend 2k doesnt mean its a better job, I dont want to sound arrogant but my car has won a few trophies so the paint cant be bad....

The best thing to do IMHO...when you see a great paint job ask who did it then go and see the painter and talk it through...

Graham

Talking sense.^^

Go visit some bodyshops and see if you can see some of their examples.

Graham

I wasn't trying to imply that you have to pay more for a decent job, but as you said you got yours done at mate's rates and in general you get what you pay for, that's all I'm saying...

I am gettign my storm resprayed soon and have been quoted £1000 to £2,500 + VAT on the last one! I think I will go with the more expensive one I think you get what you pay for. My car is getting a new wind and a rotten fuel cap rection cut out and replaced with a good one from a donor car.

I am however getting a bit worried about dinkus comments:

The problem is, that's plus any external trim bits... which quickly add up to another £1,200 - £1,500 depending on how crazy you get.

I wondered what extra bits you all thought are essential for a full respray - it would be a nightmare to make a mistake before you start.

These are the bits I have thought of:

I have got new roof strips.

New aerial plastice housing.

I want to keep the placstic bump strips on doors and wings but couldn't get new ones so hoping the paint shop will resuse the ones already on the car?

Sills were another problem I have them on back order.

Window seals - hope that the auto glass man they are going to use will have the correct rubber seals.

I have a new rear numberpate light as I bit of rust here and also on bonnet itself - the paint shop isaid it was fixable thank god a new boot must cost a bit.

Would really be grateful for suggestion on other bits?

I wondered about front sploier and also rearview mirrors can you get replcment black plastic bits or can the paint shop paint upto the black plactic without messing it up?

Getting closer to spending money on this and starting to get nervous!! - must be the Scotsman in me lol.

It's pretty unlikely they'll be able to salvage the bumpstrips tbh, they're bonded on and mine snapped when they took them off. However, as I didn't have new ones put on the only external bits I needed after the respray were new seals/rubbers for the bottom of the windows (however, these were £40 a pair alone from VW!). Mine wasn't a 'glass out' job though

It's pretty unlikely they'll be able to salvage the bumpstrips tbh, they're bonded on and mine snapped when they took them off.

Pour boiling water on the bump strips and they come off fairly easily. The heat makes them flexible so they won't snap.