mrbeige

Gooney, son of Badcrumble

The setup in the picture looks like you wouldn't need any welding ?!? :shrug:

or am I missing something.

The reason i have developed an interest in all this is because I want to try and use a tpic8101 chip to process knock.The best strategy to use is to look for knock in the "knock window" so to lessen the likely hood of false triggers from all the background noise.Sooo i was thinking if i could get a fix on engine position then I could maybe incorporate that into the setup.

The tpic8101 needs a PIC or something similar to control it so I would like to feed the output of the Vr into the pic and have the PIC activate the tpic8101 in the time period it was expecting det,i.e during the power stroke.

It might prove too complicated but I'll keep looking into it for now.I'm just writing some code at the moment so I can test the tpic8101 on the bench.

Hmmm, interesting! I was talking about knock detection to a calibration engineer colleague of mine at work today. He suggested the only issue with knock detection is it is notoriously difficult to calibrate correctly, but I guess, if you only look for knock on the power stroke, that could make it somewhat simpler. He said EGT would be a lot easier to use as a means to detect knock, but then it wouldn't be quite as quick to pick it up.

Would you use the standard VW (piezo IIRC) knock sensors?

yeah i'd use the piezo transducer.

I also have an egt probe.

I need to get the boss welded into my 16v manni.

I think i will have to wait until ms start producing the general purpose i/o board so i can incorporate in into my setup.

Yeah knock detection is tricky but saying that i'm not sure VW's system that they used on cars of our era where that sophisticated.There juust aren't that many sensors to the ecu for a start.

Anyway a good map will negate det,but it will be nice to be able to sail closer to the wind in some areas and be able to cope/make best of different air/engine temp conditions etc. :)

yeah i'd use the piezo transducer.

I also have an egt probe.

I need to get the boss welded into my 16v manni.

I think i will have to wait until ms start producing the general purpose i/o board so i can incorporate in into my setup.

Yeah knock detection is tricky but saying that i'm not sure VW's system that they used on cars of our era where that sophisticated.There juust aren't that many sensors to the ecu for a start.

Anyway a good map will negate det,but it will be nice to be able to sail closer to the wind in some areas and be able to cope/make best of different air/engine temp conditions etc. :)

Indeed. I've got a feeling the company I work for has some strategies for knock detection that might be of some use. I've asked the question anyway.

Need to get two bosses welded into my 16v manifold as well, one for the wideband and one for the EGT, although I might leave EGT for the time being. I have a boss with my innovate wideband, but I need and EGT sensor and boss, where did you get yours from?

Indeed. I've got a feeling the company I work for has some strategies for knock detection that might be of some use. I've asked the question anyway.

Need to get two bosses welded into my 16v manifold as well, one for the wideband and one for the EGT, although I might leave EGT for the time being. I have a boss with my innovate wideband, but I need and EGT sensor and boss, where did you get yours from?

You work in the automotive industry then ?

I got my EGT probe from the states.

http://www.zeitronix.com/installation/E ... lation.htm

Well, with Badcrumble gone, project Gooney can commence. First job give him a wash...

P21-08-09_090601.jpg

P21-08-09_090602.jpg

Brushes up well, doesn't he? :D

Oh and I do have the rear centre caps in the garage :)

24th Sept 2008 ---> 21st Aug 2009.... some interval Stuart!

Greeny what you doing here? The Hair-straightening forums that ^^^ way :lol:

So Stu, just as Gooney doesn't get lost again..

Plans please??

Simple really....

Job list::

Passat Moonroof

Megasquirt Conversion

Top tinted red rear light clusters

Quick fix on the paint work

Some 16" wheels

288 Callipers & Seat Leon 305mm disks somehow

I've seen peeps running the following on 4 stud: (with 1mm overhang of pad)

305mm seat discs (4 stud)

312 carriers (spaced 3mm)

312 callipers

Are the 288 callipers the same as the 312s? if so I guess you would just need the 312 carriers?

Yeah, same calipers. Might have to get some knackered 305mm discs and have a go.

Cheers Steve, I'll look into that too :)

Gooney has left the building. To be reborn in white wearing some LMs and somewhere in north Norfolk.

Not bad thanks. The Plum strip is going well, although it'll be on backburner for 3 weeks as it's at my bro's house and he has guests until mid october.

Gives me time to work out exactly what I'm gonna do - budget is telling me same old KR! I'm focussing all my spare cash on clearing debt atm, then i'm hopinh to have some more fun later with the C but i'm not getting my hopes up.

Using a 22y/o golf as a daily is also something which requires a fair bit of maintenance...!