Sign in to follow this  
jazzdevil

Overly horny*...

During a blast from the New Forest up to Oxfordshire on Saturday I offended and scared a number of fellow motorists as the horn started randomly going off/jamming on as I drove up the A34...

now when you're no-where near other traffic that's fine, but when you roll of the A road and start off around the Oxford Ring Road, barrelling into a roundabout horn blaring, bringing other motorists to a stand-still and attracting several glares, waved fists and unheard (but clearly seen) verbalising - it get's a touch embarrassing! :oops:

After 3 such occurences and a 4th where I seriously believed the motorcyclist I drove up behind and startled hedgewards was going to beat me to death with my own shoes, I got bored of having to pull over and hide myself in shame at being such an obnoxious ar$e and dimantled the lower dash panel and ripped the fuse out.

Obviously the horn is earthing somewhere, so just owndered if any folks have had a similar experience and would be able to suggest the most likely source of my pain.

Cheers folks.

*but not in the way you think Toad

Something similar happened to me once.

Turned out to be the two metal plates in the actual push assembly on the steering wheel making contact randomly.

Something similar happened to me once.

Turned out to be the two metal plates in the actual push assembly on the steering wheel making contact randomly.

Indeed, the contact ring and pickup on the steering wheel are probably worn and making contact.

yeah I ripped the horn out once on the way home when it was doing this.It was going to get me beaten up.

I think I just re,installed it making sure that the two metal plates would only come into contact if the horn was physically pressed.

I think it was after I changed my ignition switched and thus had to take the steering wheel off.I mustn't of re-installed the horn properly.

Had this happen to me too, i pulled the horn off the steering wheel in the end seeming as it decided to happen at about 1 in the morning as i started the car outside my house. I changed the three springs between the horn assembly and has never happened since...

:(

I thought this was going to be a thread about your Mousse T album getting stuck on repeat...

I had this issue with my Porsche. One of the connecting wires behind the horn itself had come off and was hitting on everything, making it go off every time I would hit a bump.

:(

I thought this was going to be a thread about your Mousse T album getting stuck on repeat...

nah mate - you still haven't given that back yet :lol:

anyways, thanks for the info folks... sounds like Saturday morning is already planned out for me then!

oddly, i had the same thing, but only when i replaced the plastic steering wheel on my passat with a leather one from a VR6 rado. The morning after i swappaed it i had to leave at 6am for work, and woke everyone up when i turned the ignition on (erm twice lol). Incidentally the wires had been taped up inside the wheel when i got it . . .

I ended up swapping the horn contact plates for the ones out of the passat wheel, as no matter how i put it back in the rado horn switch was stuck on. I did notice that the foam on the plates was different- the passat foam was thinner but denser. I dont know if that had anything to do with it, but both the passat wheels ive seen had foam like this and ive never had any probs with them . . .