Sign in to follow this  
neil20vtc

windscreen just been cracked, best replacement?

seeing as its been nice today spent the afternoon cleaning the bay of the c including polishing the slam panal and the underside of the bonnet (my neighbours thought i was weird for just washing the car so much wonder what they reckon now!)

anyways seeing as it was nice i took the car out for a drive afterwards an ended up gettin a proper crack in my windscreen from another car flicking a stone up!!

i know there is two different makes of screen and one doesnt seal so well and from what i could gather from the search its the sekurit one i need

id just like someone to confirm this before i get on the blower to my insurance tomorrow and specify i want that make of screen

cheers neil.

Yep, Sekurit is the one for those Corrado owners who expressed a preference 8)

I had mine replaced on the insurance a few weeks ago. Asked for an OE screen (Sekurit) and the insurers said yes, just had to pay my £60 excess :D

The new screen came with all new-rubber trims and AutoGlass did a great job of fitting it. Looks great, especially in the early winter mornings when you normally can't see a thing for all the scratches and haze lit up by the sun...

cheers for your replys, rac windscreens are doing it through my insurance asked for a sekurit one said its the first time he has heard anyone choose them over pilkington

should be gettin it done mid week would have been earlier as said they had 3 rado screens in stock until recently sent them back as they had been in stock for ages

can you get the marks/minute chips caused by dust and stuff polished out?...mine is begining to get a bit raggy and is difficult to see out of clearly when the sun shines on it?

is the pilkington one that bad then :? i had one fitted today not realy been out to test it, it also has a green tint along the top of the screen, it only cost me £176 which i didnt think was to bad as my policy didnt cover it .

is the pilkington one that bad then :? i had one fitted today not realy been out to test it, it also has a green tint along the top of the screen, it only cost me £176 which i didnt think was to bad as my policy didnt cover it .
ive got a pilkington one no issues at all fits perfect

I have the built in sunstrip, does that mean i have the pilkington or do the OE come with them as well.

Sure i read there is 1 that dips in the middle so that might explain my especially poor wipers as well.

i used to fit windscreens and original allways fits better,but its not really the make u should be worryed about its more the experience of the the guy fitting it! Believe me the last thing u want is a trainee having a go! My advice is to have it fitted

in their depot not a mobile appointment as are more likely to get a good job done.

well the top of my window seal came out the day after i had it fitted :? doesnt look to have any sealer under it, so il have to do it, anyone recomend some good stuff ?

take it back mate its under warranty if u just had it done! its not been fitted properly if the trim has come out. the screen its self should be put in and pulled tight against the body while the glue drys to hold the trim in.extra sealant shoulnt be used as this can hold water in the aperture blocking drainage of water and causing premature rust! the trim thats come out isnt a waterproof seal so water shouldnt come in but might whistle a bit.

hope this helps

stu

Im Gonna get mine done this month too, has a few chips that will spell doom if summink else hits it im sure!! i intend to get the original sekurit version that it has fitted now, does this one come with the optional top tint if you specify?

yes it will do if you tell them thats wot u want. They only do a green top tint for corrados tho!!

i know sekurit do the corrado one but pilkington do make genuine ones for the v.a.g. cars as i worked on a seat today and every window was pilkington and seat stamped , so they cant be that bad :)

The new screen came with all new-rubber trims and AutoGlass did a great job of fitting it. Looks great, especially in the early winter mornings when you normally can't see a thing for all the scratches and haze lit up by the sun

Well they fitted mine on tues ....and made a right dogs dinner of it :bad-words: now i dont have to have the window open to get fresh air and thinking of putting some plants on my dash as i have my own irrigation system in place ! big thanks to the guys at Autoglass :clap: .....the thing is i saw this coming :bad-words:

stu

:pale: No! whats up with it Stu? it looked ace when i saw it, i take it they are gonna put it right!

:pale: No! whats up with it Stu? it looked ace when i saw it, i take it they are gonna put it right!

:help: pmd

AutoGlass are doing mine on thursday cost me £541 :shock: just wondering if anybody else had to pay that much mind you it isnt through the insurance and it is a genuine replacement from V.w

AutoGlass are doing mine on thursday cost me £541 :shock: just wondering if anybody else had to pay that much mind you it isnt through the insurance and it is a genuine replacement from V.w

Autoglass told me my replacement (Sekurit OE glass) would have been about 500 quid if I'd had to pay for it - thankfully I could claim on my insurer's windscreen cover :D

Mines not yet insured so have payed out and only being 19 and tryin to insure a corrado kinda need to keep my claims clean otherwise i would have been right on the blower