Sign in to follow this  
HiAsAKite

VR random oil consumption

Question is why the above?

Over the 3 months I have had my VR the oil consumptions appears to vary enormously between virtually none over 100's of mile trips, to a litre in 5-600 miles..

I'm pretty sure its not my driving style since I don't use my VR for town trips.. just long distance runs (mostly motorway.. anything from 20 miles to 400 miles, the GTi'ss for town stuff)... the only I think of is that since I've topped it up woth different oil types it must be the oil I am using? (currently on the decent Shell Helix stuff.. seems ok on this)

Has anyone else noticed the same.. and if so what oil gives the lowest consumption?

Thanks.

i noticed that if i used the recommended quantum synta oil it used about a litre every 500 miles,but now im using shell helix its not used any at all

As with most cars what you should find is that the more excursions above 3000 rpm you do, the more oil you use.

My VR doesn't noticeably use oil if I drive it gently, but can use plenty when I'm, ahem, exercising it's muscles... :)

Mine uses it progressively, roughly a litre every 5000 miles.

The lowest consumption oil I ever used was Castrol RS 10/60, but they don't make it any more. Mobil 1 15/50 Motorsport is a close second, followed by VAGs own silver quantum. That's just what I've found over the years, but no two engines are the same, so results may vary.

Kev

Guys, having read the various threads on this, on this forum and others I thought I'd try and put what I have learned down. My MFA can show upto 114 degrees, I know this is way to high. At this temp its going to eat oil. I think 120 degrees is the limit for semi synthetic, could be wrong on this.

Some people have cured this by replacing the temp sender at the front of the engine bay. This sender can be faulty allowing the engine to run at higher than ideal temp.

The Fan apparentley has two speeds, how it manages this I dont know.

Can we try and get all the facts on this issue and get the mod squad to turn it into a sticky???????

120 degrees is not unusual on a VR. There's nothing wrong with the cooling system on mine, and on the motorway it'll sit at 110-116 all day long. Absolutely no worries there, mate.

I'll admit there's been varying info appear in a number of threads on here, but no-one's ever said modern oils can't cope with 115 degrees.

If you sit at 130+ mph on an autobahn I'll guarantee the MFA will read higher than 120 degrees on any car, and lets face it, that's what the VR was designed to do...

Just out of curiosity, what temp do you guys let your oil get to before you start giving it a bit, (on a VR btw). The reason I ask is that by the time I get to the M1 in the mornings, mine is at about 90 ish, so I never know wether I should go for it, or wait untill it's around the 100 mark?

Anything over 75 degrees is considered "ok", but really 85+ before you're thinking about redlining it.

The oil temp readout is the single most useful feature on the C that none of my previous cars ever had. You don't realise just how slowly the oil warms up compared to the water without something like this.

The oil temp readout is the single most useful feature on the C that none of my previous cars ever had. ...

Ahem, apart from the huge 2.9 litre V6, of course.... ;)

The oil temp readout is the single most useful feature on the C that none of my previous cars ever had. ...

Ahem, apart from the huge 2.9 litre V6, of course.... ;)[/quote:cffdd]

Nah, the spoiler is :wink:

K

Nah, the spoiler doesn't make downforce, it alters the aerodynamic drag at the back..... so a couple of clever so-and-so's tell me :wink: