Sign in to follow this  
CazzaVR

City ban for old cars?! Petition

This is all a bit worrying, and just typical of the current persecution of motorists. TBH, I can't see it happening as it's just plain wrong on so many levels. If it did go ahead, we'd all be done for! I use my VR as a daily, to commute to and from work, and I'm sure many other people do too.

Here's the petition.

TBH, I can't see it happening as it's just plain wrong on so many levels. If it did go ahead, we'd all be done for! I use my VR as a daily, to commute to and from work, and I'm sure many other people do too.

Here's the petition.

I doubt it will happen in the UK. Our traffic systems are too dependant on cars being able to pass through towns to get *anywhere*. Plus most VRs are too new to be impacted by that specific wording of the regs in Germany (and actually the VR's pollutant emissions are very low, it just pushes out a lot of CO2).

But anyway, why do people driving polluting old bangers assume they have the right to belch smoke into crowded city centres? Just because they have done so for the last thirty years doesn't mean it should continue forever. Just like the smoking ban, the "right" to belch anything (including curry breath) in people's faces is limited..

Of course, they should start by forcing the ancient trucks and buses off the city roads if clean air is the aim ..

(Lordy, if only we had a decent rail network freight could use!!)

Complete madness. AFAIK my VR6 is a very low emitter of CO2 ( 0.041% when the limit is 0.2%) and HCs at 12 parts per million when the limit is 200. How much lower are new cars? Have never been able to translate the CO2 % into a gms/tonne figure to compare with newer cars.

How much more polluting is it to keep buying new cars? How much energy and pollution goes into making a new car :?

Lets hope it never happens in our lifetimes.

I agree. I was having this conversation the other day. Sparked of course by that fabric softener advert.

I agree. I was having this conversation the other day. Sparked of course by that fabric softener advert.

As it happens I just got back from the south of france. Pain free travel, courtesy of Eurostar. 6 hours from London. Awesome..! Just goes to show - the only decent train line in the UK is run by the French...

Complete madness. AFAIK my VR6 is a very low emitter of CO2 ( 0.041% when the limit is 0.2%) and HCs at 12 parts per million when the limit is 200. How much lower are new cars? Have never been able to translate the CO2 % into a gms/tonne figure to compare with newer cars.

How much more polluting is it to keep buying new cars? How much energy and pollution goes into making a new car :?

The VR6 had a pretty advanced emission control system, for it's age. Compare it to the low-end cars in the early 90s with very simple single-point injection systems. But even so, newer cars are better, noticeably.

And as for the point of the pollution generated creating new cars - I completely agree with this point - it's much better, overall, to run a decently clean old car than to build a cleaner new one, but this type of policy is about protecting air quality in a specific location (i.e. in the locations where the vast majority of people live), not any wider aim.

If they're gonna go down this route, they surely need to do something about 4X4s, which are high polluting, and totally unneccessary in towns and cities.

If they're gonna go down this route, they surely need to do something about 4X4s, which are high polluting, and totally unneccessary in towns and cities.

The original article (which has been discussed before btw) states that cars will be graded on their emissions. Cars with bad grading won't be allowed (that means SUV/4x4s). The only reason the classic car crowd are annoyed is because cars over 15 years old will suffer a blanket ban, i.e. nothing to do with their emissions.

That sounds really retarded? Why would they need to ban old cars? If anything the pollution would jump up for a period because theyd be having to find some way to get rid of old cars, be it exporting them or smashing them.

Well, it's good to see the VR6 fraternity is taken care of then, but that leaves the other Cs as well as my beloved 2 Roccos out in the cold. I've already signed that petition, since it was raised well over 2 months ago :-)

The Stuttgart model (or for that matter the general German large city model) is as I have already previously mentioned totally different to what the UK are possibly looking at implementing.

This whole thing comes from a hitherto little know EU directive (yes, it's those sh*tty brussel, tax-payers' money sucking, cost-hogging, loser-on-a-national basis-politicians-that-can't-make-it-anywhere-other-than-in-Brussels-anymore-who-learly-on't-ike-lder-cars-tasteless-as-they-probably-all-are) that looked into the fine particle emissions of major EU cities. A report made back in the mid 90s came to the comnclusion that most major EU cities suffered from a fine particle emission level that was regarded as too high.

Hence the EU swiftly launched a directive to address this issue. It, as is usually the case with these directives, was left to the individual member states to implement this directive in national law.

Germany decided to introduce a rather complicated system based on people having to buy stickers from any T

FWIW the diesels emit lots of particulates, but they are larger than those emitted by petrol cars. The ultra-fine particulates are the really dangerous ones to your health, since they pass through so many membranes in your cells.