Sign in to follow this  
GivemeaVR

Bi-Xenon hedlight bulbs

Just for info most hid upgrade kits are illegal unless you fit a new lens and reflector as well.

hi

no hid retro fit is legal unless:

the car has self levelling lights ,

and headlight washers

and no standard corrado light gives a proper beam pattern any way they allways give to much light scatter with hid fitted new lens and reflector or not ,

the new lens and reflector has no bearing on legality at all

do it by all means but dont excpect it to be legal

its all here

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

hi

and headlight washers

and no standard corrado light gives a proper beam pattern any way they allways give to much light scatter with hid fitted new lens and reflector or not ,

its all here

Yah cause X5's all have really well adjusted "self-levelling*" lights! :lol:

*-self level at Corado rear-view mirror height!

havent read that link but i can appreciate "scattered beam" with normal lenses but mine give a perfect beam pattern with projectors and theve been through mot with no worries.

I know that doesnt make them "legal" but they are fitted to a 18 year old car

I tried the bixenon kit from hids4u.co.uk which looks pretty much identical to that, in my Corrado and the results were awful, though it worked really well in the round headlights on my Mark 2. What you've got to remember is that reflector headlights are designed to work with halogen bulbs, so they can give quite weird results with HID which produces an arc of light which isn't the same as the halogens do. Anyway, whatever the reason, the Corrado lights seem quite finnicky about working with some HID kits, I think it's down to the metal shield that sits in front of the bulbs. I ended up making an uprated loom and sticking some upgraded halogens in - brilliant.

Also, the high beam on the bixenon HIDs was awful, even in the Golf and you do still need high beams if you're driving on unlit country roads imo.

Bottom line, legality is questionable, but as importantly, not all kits are the same and while some seem to work pretty well, others - based on my experience - don't.

The HID kits seem to work better with the inpro headlights as they have the projector lens and clear lenses.

nightmare getting the correct level though

hi

and headlight washers

its all here

Yah cause X5's all have really well adjusted "self-levelling*" lights! :lol:

*-self level at Corado rear-view mirror height!

your not wrong, :) and disco s and range rovers

i was not trying to put anyone off , just to beware there is nothing you can do to make them legal on a c unless you put all required extras on,

i run them myself with inpros as you get a perfect beam cut no matter what light bulbs are in them as projecters use a plate for cut off ,not a lens pattern,

they are still not legal ,and if you use the low k ratting ie, 3500 k to 4500 k no more you actualy get more light on the road and they dont look blue and to modern for the c ,

mot wise there is nothing to do with it as they only check light output and beam pattern and adjustment so no worries there.

:)

I haven't got any of that other stuff fitted to my HID set up and it sailed through the MOT with no problem. They just look at the beam pattern on the wall when they test it to make sure the dip is OK and tick their box