Sign in to follow this  
pd2444

Sickly VR6 options....?

After a few suggestions on a 1995 VR6 which looks as if its on the way out.

The car ran fine last year and was last run in December 07. It's been laid up since then but on re-starting last week to go and get an MOT it was smoking badly all of a sudden. It looks as if a ring has suddenly failed - plugs on cylinders 1 & 6 look as if they are oiling up and there is a lot of oil smoke coming out the back.

I'm reluctant to write it off and sell it for spares as it is one of the last made (not a Storm) and has a full VW history with just one owner prior to myself. It's done about 120k. I've also had Corrado's before and this one felt by far the tightest and smoothest so it's a nice one.

The options would appear to be a full re-build or a new engine. I really haven't the time to do it all myself so would have to get it done. I've had a good search through the site and there seem a number options.

Would anyone recommend anyone who knows their way around a VR6 to contact to rebuild it? I don't want it supercharged, bored out or anything - just re-built back to original spec. Most of the firms mentioned on the site seem to be related to improving over the original. I'm happy with bog standard - just would prefer to use somebody who has taken a VR6 to bits before.

On the replacement engine options 2.9's seem to be very thin on the ground. There seem to be a much larger number (and cheaper) 2.8's about. Will a 2.8 from a Golf VR6 or similar slot in or is it a no-go? Anyone want to recommend a good supplier who may have an engine available?

Thanks for any help.

Hello, welcome to the Forum :)

Sorry to hear your bad news but I guess there are a couple of options available (but bear in mind I'm no expert, this is just Forum learning!). As you say, theres no need for a rebuild to be performance oriented, just rebuilt to standard and, as far as I am aware, if your block isn't too far gone that is entirely possible. If it is a bit worse then you can go one size up on the pistons but it doesn't sound like thats your preference. Alternatively, you can just bore out a 2.8 to make it a 2.9 and get exactly the standard spec you have right now.

Otherwise you can get a brand new engine either from VW or, for slightly less (as I understand it) a "brand new spec" reconditioned one using all new parts from a company called Vege in Holland. Lastly, you could do a 2.8 24v transplant, which is increasingly recommended by many on here, to benefit from the many improvements that newer engine has.

Sadly, all of those options are going to be in the £2.5-3.5k+ region, depending what kind of relationships you have with people who can do some or all of the work for you. Much cheaper, given that that is more than many pay for a whole running car at the moment, is to wait for some poor soul with a younger engine (sub 80k ideally) to have their car written off and buy their engine from them for something up to maybe £600-800.

Hope that helps and isn't too hard to digest!

but before any of that get a compression test done on your engine to find out what's happening and what's gone wrong.

And as for recommendations on a fitter.. it would help to know roughly where you are in the world..! ;)

Just my 2ps..

I can vouch for the reconditioned Vege engine, just had one fitted myself and runs like a dream. Engine cost £1998 (to be exact) and that was on a part exchange basis with your old one. Not sure how long it would take to fit as when i had mine fitted i had clutch and a few other things done too! I also got a deal on the labour due to knowing the guy well enough.

HTH

Get a draper compression tester on ebay (about £15 delivered) and see viewtopic.php?f=1&t=65076

Do wet and dry compression tests to see if its the head or the bottom end thats the problem. If its the head - not that much to have it reconditioned.

If its the bottom end - bore wear / piston rings then you'll need a more expensive rebuild. Cheapest and easiest option is to replace with a known good one preferably from a Corrado but you can use a 2.8 golf one. In this case best to keep your existing head and ecu etc as you can use any bottom end I think.

You can pick up Golf 2.8 engines for next to nothing, hell you can get a whole car for much less than a grand. 2.9s in good nick will be be a bit more.

Just my 2ps..

I can vouch for the reconditioned Vege engine, just had one fitted myself and runs like a dream. Engine cost £1998 (to be exact) and that was on a part exchange basis with your old one. Not sure how long it would take to fit as when i had mine fitted i had clutch and a few other things done too! I also got a deal on the labour due to knowing the guy well enough.

HTH

so your looking at 2.5k then but at least you know your engines good in theory for the life of the car , it must be nice not to have any engine worrys for a long time :)

Yeah round about 2.5k depends if the fitter encounters any probs or not though too. OOOH Yes! Definately mate, i had to clean/change the spark plugs every 200-300 miles and top the oil up around the same interval. Plus the new engine proved how badly the old one was running - down on power, missing slightly. It was a nightmare for me. I dont think the previous owner looked after it too well tbh. Now i know the history of this engine and how well it gets looked after.

NB - By the way the garage i got to fit mine only charges 26 quid p/h so put that in with the labour deal he did. So it COULD go over the 2.5k budget. Mine went over my budget. oh and i also got all 3 engine mounts changed, water pump thermo housing... the list goes on.

Its also worth noting that they dont always have them in stock. THey had 2 in when i bought mine - the other had already been sold. My old engine will be in there now id imagine, dont know how long it takes them to rebuild and test the engine. Youd have to ring them.

Many thanks to everyone who replied. Much food for thought.

I will get the engine properly tested. The reason I suspect that it is the bottom end is that I've had enough cars in the past that you get to know the depressing signs. We're not talking a bit of oil burn on the over run here - the car is struggling to run on 4 or 5 cylinders and is producing Exxon Valdize levels even at idle. It just has every indication of an engine about to die.

The annoying thing is how suddenly it happened. One day it was perfect, the next time it was started someting major had gone bang.

Assuming it is the bottom end the options seem to be:

1) Recon engine at about £2.5k + fitted. According to the Vege website they haven't got stock at the moment but I will call them to verify the situation.

2) A new bottom end out of another 2.8 VR6 car. I assume, if the Corrado top end and electric are carried over, any VR6 model will do - be it Golf, Sharan etc.? I've seen Sharan VR6's running OK go through auctions for £400 or less so it may be an option. I have got access to a friendly mechanic who may be able to do the swap for me. Is it really as simple as swapping the blocks and then putting the Corrado head on the 2.8?

3) Get someone to take to bits and rebuild the current engine. However, the parts alone would probably be £500 plus all the time and labour.

Sods law being sods law only 500 miles before it went pop I'd had it to bits to put a new clutch in!

check out the forced induction vr6 thread too, where Kev has put some more detail about rebore options .

Many thanks to everyone who replied. Much food for thought.

I will get the engine properly tested. The reason I suspect that it is the bottom end is that I've had enough cars in the past that you get to know the depressing signs. We're not talking a bit of oil burn on the over run here - the car is struggling to run on 4 or 5 cylinders and is producing Exxon Valdize levels even at idle. It just has every indication of an engine about to die.

The annoying thing is how suddenly it happened. One day it was perfect, the next time it was started someting major had gone bang.

Assuming it is the bottom end the options seem to be:

1) Recon engine at about £2.5k + fitted. According to the Vege website they haven't got stock at the moment but I will call them to verify the situation.

2) A new bottom end out of another 2.8 VR6 car. I assume, if the Corrado top end and electric are carried over, any VR6 model will do - be it Golf, Sharan etc.? I've seen Sharan VR6's running OK go through auctions for £400 or less so it may be an option. I have got access to a friendly mechanic who may be able to do the swap for me. Is it really as simple as swapping the blocks and then putting the Corrado head on the 2.8?

3) Get someone to take to bits and rebuild the current engine. However, the parts alone would probably be £500 plus all the time and labour.

Sods law being sods law only 500 miles before it went pop I'd had it to bits to put a new clutch in!

I have 5 sharan vr6s & 2 late golf vrs which im breaking if you wanted to go down the 2.8 route,you could do that with the ObdII conversion,you wont be too far away from 192 bhp