Sign in to follow this  
JimSTORM

Some quick advice Please

hi all i have been looking for a corrado recently and i have been to look at a G reg 1.8 16v. everything on the car seems to be fine except it has no service history at all. it has 116,000 miles and the car seems generally in quite good condition for the year. could anyone give me any advice as i cant make up my mind, the car is from a dealer and has had a lot of work done to it. i am not a mechanic and my knowledge in engines in minime, thanks for your help.

No service history is generally a worry.

If there is any doubt in your mind, walk away. There are plenty more 16v's around, and from what I saw on Autotrader today, plenty with good histories.

No service history is often a sign it has been clocked, so the engine could be a lot more worn than you think.

I'd personally walk away.

May be worth getting in touch with the previous owner to see if they can provide any info. Corrado's wear thier mileage really well so act with caution. What sort of money are they asking? I know of a couple of decent 16v's which have made around the 1700 pound mark, one with history and one without. Good luck :)

Well i'd be expecting something spectacular to be thrown in at that price.

With no service history, and 120,000 miles I think thats overpriced.

Seriously, walk away.. there are more genuine cars with history around at that price!

yes after hearing it from you guys i think that i will be walking away. it is just very tempting as i have wanted a corrado for 6 months now and i have been looking for one for about 4 weeks and nothing decent has come up yet or it has alrady been sold and i am desperate to get one before christmas.

Well talking from experience.

The Corrado I bought was a little more expensive than I was wanting to pay, and it had issues with it that I knew I should have avoided.. but because I wanted one so bad, and because it looked so stunning sitting on the driveway I just forgave the problems and handed the cash over. It was the first one I saw, but I was totally sold.

Its not worth it. Wait, or both you (and your wallet) will end up regretting it if you buy a mongrel.

yeah i know the feeling,the thing is i dont want a prestine condition car at the moment i just want a decent car which is tidy and will last me about a year with minimal problems. i am only 19 and insurance is a very high price for me so i am looking to get a slightly cheaper 16v that will last about a year untill i get a beauty.

Coming from someone who fell in love with a C and then found out after paying for both it and a G60 rebuild that it's been clocked by 110K miles (actually now done 225K, not 115k! :shock: ) RUN AWAY NOW!!! :lol:

There's plenty of 16V Cs around for that kind of money that are pretty much full history and great condition, I know it's tempting to just part with the cash and get the car quick, but it's not worth the hassles that it can cause... I was lucky that the car was a motorway stormer and had been very well looked after until a couple of owners before me, but I could have been a damn site worse off... :?

It may take you a while to find one that you're 100% happy with, but trust me, it's worth the wait... 8)

Contact VW with the chasis number and see if they can find any history on their system for you.

But I agree with the rest of the guys. Tread very carefully.

can i just say that this car is from a small dealer/repair garage that deals in VW and Audi, he has done no HPI check and no others, he says that he will take full responsibility if stolen. already he has replaced brakes, exhaust, battery 2 tyres , rear shocks PAS pump and Cambelt, its MOT'd for 1 yr.

if some one was trying to sell this car in a years time with no service history but the above , would it be a problem or would i loose out on a lot of money???

HPI it if you're still thinking about it. Take a note of the chassis and engine numbers too.

It being stolen is the least of your worries though...

Have you taken the car for a test drive and have you test driven any other corrados? I would personal test drive as many rados as possible to get a feel for the them and the differences in their engines. When I was looking I came across a right minter on a M plate with full VW service history but it drove like a right dog compared to the K plate beauty that I have now that’s literally been to Mars and back!

I'd walk mate, I looked at a few cars, one with loads of history, but the speedo wasn't working, really liked the car, but I had a bad feeling when driving it, so walked away, month later its on Ebay for £1400.. I laughed, cos I knew the car was iffy :)

Theres alot of 16v's out there, but be careful to take your time etc, I looked at the car I have twice before I handed over the ££££..

Leave it, there are loads of C's out there with history for the money.

Just don't be fussy on colour, spec and be prepared to travel for it!

mate, imo if you only have a budget of 2k then Id find a decent Mk11 16v - loads quicker,cheaper to insure and you'll find one with a few mods already carried out which will save you money.

2k should get you a h or j plate with around 100k - still take a while to find a good one though.

Seems like youre set on a Corrado though so fair enough - just mo

i have actually got a golf MK11 at the moment that i am trying to replace with a corrado cos i definatly do have my mind set on one