Sign in to follow this  
nocrap

Strange handbrake light

Right! Bear with me, its been a cold day.

With the handbrake off the light on my dash is illuminated but only very very dimly, but as i drive along it get brighter until after about 1 hour its half the brightness of what it is when i have my handbrake on!

Now, looking in the 'instruction manual' it says a few things;

1. The handbrake is on......but it isn't and the LED is only just visable

2. The brake fluid level is too low. Immediately contact a VW dealer and have the brake system examined! :lol:

3. Pressure in ABS accumilator is too low.

But if it was 2 or 3 surely such a serious fault would be indicated by a full brightness light?....and maybe some sort of air horn...instead of an brightness that can hardly be seen when you start your journey and very very very slowly gets a bit brighter.

Checking my brake fluid will be the 1st thing i do tomorrow.....but this does seem a little odd.

Any thoughts?

Indeed, but i would have thought that would an on/off affair, rather than slowly getting brighter...

As you drive, your alternator will be adding charge to the battery, which may result in the light getting brighter but, as it's so marginal, I'd be very suprised if that was the case!!

Just mentioning the switch as a possibility, rather than a plausability.

i had this after i drove through a lot of water one night, the next day it was all fine, so i guess it must off been water on a sensor?

Manky old brake fluid won't help but as above I reckon it's electrical - probably an earth fault or voltage leaking back somewhere...

Tim, this happened on my old Corrado. It turned out to be a dodgy connection on the fbrake fluid level switch. A god clean and blow out sorted it. If the switch is booggared, then I have one you can have :grin:

Switch is a float type - a plastic pin comes out the top which may be sticking - you will see what I mean...

I have a spare if needed.

I get this after I've driven through some flooded roads. It's normally gone after a couple of days. I was worried the first time though.

Switch is a float type - a plastic pin comes out the top which may be sticking - you will see what I mean...

I have a spare if needed.

Cheers Steve, Seems a much more sensible day for doing car work today :wink:

Forgot to say that i've sorted this by doing what the beigemeister said!

Cheers

My god, what I suggested actually worked?? I'm stunned :lol: