Storm Warning

Attaching show plates - Osnabruck Hangers

I've been searching here and elsewhere for an elegant solution for fitting and swapping number plates around. I wish to use show plates (German style perhaps) and of course normal road plates. Has anyone experience of (or a better idea than), velcro (the non fuzzy stuff) or plate holders like this: Lockable_black_lip_euro_frame.jpg Not sure they will sit in the plate recess very well though.. :scratch: :help:

Magnetic strips? like fridge magnets, but you'd probably have to stick it to the bumper and to the numberplates, could you get plates made up like a fridge magnet? flexible plates

By law number plates in the UK are required to be screwed on. It is an MOT fail for number plates that are not attached like this.

You will be hard pushed to find an MOT tester who will fail you for it but if there is an assesor there when your car gets MOTed then it will fail.

I had a look at the rules here: http://www.ukmot.com/6-8.asp#Text_top It would seem you just have to make sure they are secure. I have failed on spacing before - and it was out by a tiny amount so they changed the plates and passed it and they were stuck on.

Copied direct from the DVLA website:

Are stick-on number plates legal?

No, number plates must meet the British Standard requirements and we are not aware of any self-adhesive number plates that are able to meet these requirements.

yeah a friend of mine was checking the law on number plates recently as he is about to re-register his camper, there was some confusion at first regarding self adhesive plates being illegal but it turned out that was the vinyl printed types that people used to stick to bonnets and bumpers on mx5's and jag's ect.

according to the DVLA, the police and VOSA there is no law that they knew of, against using adhesive tape to attach a plate to a vehicle, and many new cars are supplied with the plates attached by adhesive tape, it only states that the plate must be secure, not how it is secured.

the type that are illegal are these ones.

yeah a friend of mine was checking the law on number plates recently as he is about to re-register his camper, there was some confusion at first regarding self adhesive plates being illegal but it turned out that was the vinyl printed types that people used to stick to bonnets and bumpers on mx5's and jag's ect.

according to the DVLA, the police and VOSA there is no law that they knew of, against using adhesive tape to attach a plate to a vehicle, and many new cars are supplied with the plates attached by adhesive tape, it only states that the plate must be secure, not how it is secured.

the type that are illegal are these ones.

Aha I sit corrected then. ;)

Thanks for the info.

what i did on my last car was, cut up the velco into tiny pieces, unstick both sides and put it into the lettering on your numberplate, then stick the new plate over the top and press hard. when you peel it off you have velcro in the right places on both plates :) and you cant see where it is on your normal plates. :p

I've decided to give 3M Dual lock a go, like Velcro but without the furry side and hopefully slightly lower profile too. If anyone else is interested it is 3M Dual Lock SJ3560 VHB Type 250 Clear 25mm, this one is specifically rated for outdoor/marine use so should cope well, I will report back as soon as poss.

Plate hangers all the way, really easy to change plate once you know how :wave:

IMG_0317-1.jpg

Plate hangers all the way, really easy to change plate once you know how :wave:

IMG_0317-1.jpg

Are they like the pic I posted in my first post above? where you have a key to get them out?

Yeah these have a special tool like a mini hook to pop the bottom dealer name part of to free the plate as they can only slide downwards, there are a few different types but all simmilar principle

A friend of mine Andy (Plinth miester) sells the wolfsburg ones and a few select other types (including Colditz like mine :norty: , spandau, and Berlin dealer ones) he goes to most of the shows and does a pair for £20 or £30 for 2 pairs on the Wolfsburg ones and £25 a pair for the more select ones, they are all genuine plates surrounds from the dealers in Germany (his girlfriends German and he spends a lot of time there and money!) so these ones are Not copys like a lot of people are selling

He is trying to get some Karmann or Osnabruck dealership ones for me though, which would be cooooooooooooool

Those surrounds are likely to be the same size I think.

I think that with the heavy duty velcro (50mm wide) done on the plate horizontally AND vertically, it should be fine. We'll see I guess! Got some velcro from Halfords the other day, so I'll give it a shot.. can always post my results back here for ya ;)

*edit*

Now fitted with velcro - I'm certain that these things are NOT going to fall off in a hurry. Have to go get another meter to do the front plate though :eek:

Before

beforeza9.jpg

During

duringia3.jpg

After

afterbl9.jpg

Much cleaner :luvlove:

Yes, there is a small gap due to the thickness of the velcro, so they don't sit completely flush, but I'm happy enough with it. Easy.

hey, was just wonderin where u got them numberplates made up from, mariojoshi?? i have german plates, but plod keep tellin me their illegal, i am after a set like urs as am sure i cud get away with them. thanks

I ordered a set of the plate surrounds from theplateman when I got my german fonts, but not using them if anyone wants em, £10 posted?

hey, was just wonderin where u got them numberplates made up from, mariojoshi?? i have german plates, but plod keep tellin me their illegal, i am after a set like urs as am sure i cud get away with them. thanks

Hey fella, those are standard spec dubmeister plates. German font etc, so technically still illegal. Look fairly subtle though!