Sign in to follow this  
apaper

1993 SLC: Front Door Speaker Baffle Enclosure_Step-by-Step

Here's another informational thread :grin: . Again, I'm open to any questions!

Sincerely, -Adam

Front Speaker Baffle Construction

THE GOAL: To rebuild the front doors so that the new speakers would no longer need to rely upon a flimsy support. Also, create an enclosure-like baffling with air-tight seal to promote the best possible midrange/midbass performance without compromising factory appearance.

If you look closely, you can see that the OE 4

Very nice build. Love the stock look.

Thank you Storm. I appreciate your kind words :)

Cheers,

Hi Adam, looks like a great install, nice one! What kind of drivers did you use? And how was the bass response? I can imagine it was significantly better than stock!

At some point in the future I'm definitely looking to do something like this to my doors -- what tools do you need for this kind of job?

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Adam, looks like a great install, nice one! What kind of drivers did you use? And how was the bass response? I can imagine it was significantly better than stock! At some point in the future I'm definitely looking to do something like this to my doors -- what tools do you need for this kind of job?

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks Tom! They do sound AMAZING! Huge soundstage, wonderful midbass, agressive attack and NO vibrations :eek: !

The primary tools were a jig saw, spindle sander, router w/ cutting bits and rabbeting 'flush mount' bits and circular (cutting) jig, drill, belt sander and heat gun (for dynamat). Oh, and whatever other little tools/measuring devices you see in the pics.To get the job done in its bare essential layout, a jig saw would really be the only critically needed tool. I hope this helps you sir!

Most sincerely,

-Adam

Great piece of work.... Never seen the Dynamat spray stuff before (only ever used the sheets). Would that stuff be suitable for stiffening up th rear quarters I wonder :scratch:

Great piece of work.... Never seen the Dynamat spray stuff before (only ever used the sheets). Would that stuff be suitable for stiffening up th rear quarters I wonder :scratch:

The spray, which used to be available in spray cans, in now only available in 5 gallon containers and needs to be applied with a air compressor/spray gun. This would help reduce vibration/noise transmission of the panel, but I would recommend you seal up the rear quarter section's stamped metal instead with dynamat like I did the doors. I did this on the inner and outer metal surfaces and then topped the inner metal surfaces with 1/8" dynaliner. This made a nice improvement!

Thanks for your compliements, JMC.

Regards,

The spray, which used to be available in spray cans, in now only available in 5 gallon containers and needs to be applied with a air compressor/spray gun. This would help reduce vibration/noise transmission of the panel, but I would recommend you seal up the rear quarter section's stamped metal instead with dynamat like I did the doors. I did this on the inner and outer metal surfaces and then topped the inner metal surfaces with 1/8" dynaliner. This made a nice improvement!

Thanks for your compliements, JMC.

Regards,

Cool, cheers for the advice apaper :D

Securing the speakers directly onto the door frame seems to be the best for sound. I currently have Audioscape door pods with 6.5" drivers, I am certain i'm not getting the best performance out of them even though the doors are heavily sound deadend. Would it be possible to mount 6"5 or larger drivers using your approach? I would love to experiment myself but my fabrication skills aren't quite up to your standards!

So with the acoustical diffusers does it create a sealed enclosure for the speaker or are they mounted more on the door skin?

Looks like it's a sealed enclosure into the door. The diffuser pad is just to break up the back-waves and stop them reflecting directly back into the speaker cone.

Hi I really wanna do this, only thing i'm gonna struggle with is creating the hole with the router, did you say you used a jig?, did you create this is was is bought from somewhere? any pics of it?

Hi I really wanna do this, only thing i'm gonna struggle with is creating the hole with the router, did you say you used a jig?, did you create this is was is bought from somewhere? any pics of it?

He shows the jig attached to the bottem of the router in the 10th pic. (the only pic showing the router) But its easy enough to make one out of a thin piece of mdf, as you're only gonna do a couple of different sized holes.

I'm gonna give this a stab if we get a bit of good weather, i've been putting off doing my doors until the summer but it doesn't seem to have arrived this year.

link seems to be dead, perhasp because its 2 years old...

I want to mount my front door speakers to the door itself rther than the pod, so any ideas, pics & suggestions welcomed. They're audioscapes btw, but as a few people have mentioned, there is a lack of a proper seal of the card against the door, and it will no doubt move a bit too.