Sign in to follow this  
iow_corrado_g60

PULSES on G60 <- explained

Hi guys when i driving along

all of a sudden for no reason ill get what i can only describe of as a pulse from the battery

everything just goes into overtime i.e heater fan, window wipers go faster and the lights get brighter then it settles down after say 20 secs!

my first thought was dodgy battery not the case!

my second thought was the alternator?

and last thought was some dodgy wiring any ideas

Cheers Andy

Id pop the voltage regulator out of the alternator (two phillips head bolts) and check the brushes...

If they are considerably worn/cracked id replace the regulator, tbh id replace it anyway as its only about £15 quid from vw (don't use a £10 quid one from gsf)

:)

Neil.

yeah definately replace the regulator, the alternator should be fine though, the alternator usually produces less power when it fails.

I would avoid using it until you replace the regulator as you risk frying the whole electrical sytem if it does it too much.

yeah definately replace the regulator, the alternator should be fine though, the alternator usually produces less power when it fails.

I would avoid using it until you replace the regulator as you risk frying the whole electrical sytem if it does it too much.

oops maybe i should of posted this earlier its been doing it intermitantly for about a month,

You seem to be on the dot there though gents I will do that this weekend and let you know any chance of a part number as the steelers in Bath wasnt the best last time I went :cuckoo:

Cheers for your quick response Andy

That does seem a bit pricey, i only paid £12 for mine last year from VW, I am pretty sure ECP do stock genuine Bosch ones might be worth trying them.

Edit: just checked and they are not genuine they are Dansk ones.

have ordered one for ECP £10 + postage hope its the right one the bloke seemed a bit vague never mind will let you know gents have to ring up VW now and cancel other one!

That seems expensive from vw :?

The problem with the gsf ones is that they are rated at 14v instead of 14.4v and 90% of the time this means you have to blip the throttle to make the battery light go out...

Not a major problem like.

Neil. :)

That's odd.

I am showing the voltage regulator as being £16.17 ex VAT on ETOS with the part number coolrado supplied above.

Dont trust the GSF/ECP stuff myself it nevers seems to last very long.

Yeah, my G60 one was about £15 inc (a few years ago)

just 2 keep you updated part came today looks like a regulator :lol:

has anyone any advice on fitting before i do this?

cheers Andy

yeah, remove two screws, remove old regulator, fit new regulator, replace screws :lol: