Sign in to follow this  
daves16v

Carbon canister & cold air intake

After searching for threads regarding the above and finding many talking about which pipes to block I noticed that there wasn't that many photo's showing what people had done about getting air into the box.

So here's my attempt at it. All fabricated Ali including the plate to block off the existing inlet opening with Stainless self tappers. The inlet tube is 100mm long ready for flexible or rigid tubing to connect.

The view from below is interesting - look carefully and you can see someone peering down the tube :lol:

Certainly an interesting idea matey! Can't hurt to get more air in and around the airbox. Have you got it back on the car yet?

what is the carbon canister? :help:

Not fitted to 1.8 16v cars for starters :)

It used to 'store' fuel vapour vented by the tank and is then drawn into the engine in under certain throttle conditions, basically it's just an emission control device.

Dave, are you going to attach the tube to the brake cooling duct as well? As per usual for you it looks like a very nice part, considered making some kits up?

Also I would consider unblanking the front airbox inlet, just incase you find a large puddle/get a lot of spray from the road as you may end up with the same sort of problem some people get with water when you mount a filter down in that area.

what is the carbon canister? :help:

Not fitted to 1.8 16v cars for starters :)

It used to 'store' fuel vapour vented by the tank and is then drawn into the engine in under certain throttle conditions, basically it's just an emission control device.

Dave, are you going to attach the tube to the brake cooling duct as well? As per usual for you it looks like a very nice part, considered making some kits up?

Also I would consider unblanking the front airbox inlet, just incase you find a large puddle/get a lot of spray from the road as you may end up with the same sort of problem some people get with water when you mount a filter down in that area.

Err, what is the brake cooling duct? I know I'm missing the covers underneath that attach to the splitter and bottom of wing.

Too much of a pain making more than 1.

spot on work there mate,im planning on something similar for mine,not aswell made tho! :wink: is it all 1.8 16v that dont have the carbon cannister? ive got a h-reg not sure what mk corrado that is?! if it makes any difference?!

Err, what is the brake cooling duct? I know I'm missing the covers underneath that attach to the splitter and bottom of wing.

Don't think the 2.0 16v's got the brake cooling ducts. Think they were G60 (and possibly VR) only parts...?

Don't think the 2.0 16v's got the brake cooling ducts. Think they were G60 (and possibly VR) only parts...?

Nope, all early pre-facelift cars had them.

They were a duct that attached to the back of the lower front grille at one end and the inside front of the wheel arch liner on the other. The idea was to get cool air from the front of the car onto the front brake caliper and disc. As its a direct cold air feed from the lower grill, connecting the bottom of the airbox to the cooling duct gives a great cold air source. Retrofitting the duct is easy enough but you will have to cut a hole in your existing wheel arch liner as the later outer arches were wider.

As for the change over to the quarter panels instead of the ducts I guess the aerodynamics ensured that the air spilled up into the brake area anyway.

Still want to fit a pair of the later style air guides and an undertray to see what effect it has on road/engine noise, it should also reduce the turbulence in the engine bay which should result in lower underbonnet temps.