Sign in to follow this  
dinkus

For anybody that has ever sworn at a hose clamp...

Buy one of these

Draper RHCP1 Flexible Hose Clamp Pliers 89793.jpg[/attachment:9a8hg9x3]

Mine's a Draper RHCP1 Flexible Hose Clamp Pliers 89793 that I bought on ebay for about £25 and it's worth every single penny. I think there are other branded ones that do exactly the same thing as well.

The metal bracket fits on the spring clamps and the wire runs back to a ratchet handle that you can open the clamp with. They come off in a matter of seconds with no swearing or mashed fingers. Bloody fantastic.

Yeah, if you don't have the right tool, they're a complete cnut to get off, but once you do they're easier than trying to get something onto jubilee clips to undo them.

The reason manufacturers use them is apparently to eliminate the risk of over-tightening :)

I get that just from logging in! :lol:

These look a good idea, but I would never keep spring clips to re-use and never ever buy spring clips new so unless I had sadistically volunteered to swap out a few people's coolant clips for jubilee/mikalor items this seems a bit of a waste?

Although the constant tension thing does make a lot of sense, and I guess for those wanting piece of mind then this is the tool for them :cheers:

i looked into lots of jubliee clips and phoned a few places up about them, quite a few are advertised with "360 degree equal tension"

looking round some very big spec engines i spot jubliee clips.

the ones i ended up with were from a marine store so should be up to the job, but its something i worry about, don't want to ruin my samcos :(

the other thing is the clamps are pretty expensive from VW and they look a bit crap, like an army green

the ones i ended up with were from a marine store so should be up to the job

Are you running them on a boat then? :wink:

The thing about constant tension is not necessarily constant tension around the pipe, but more to do with expansion/contraction and keeping a constant tension on the pipe.

Wouldn't worry too much about it though - if you've got jubilee clips they work too, but this tool makes getting the spring clamps on and off a lot easier :)

I was very impressed with it earlier, and will be buying one, especially after my plier throwing session last weekend :oops:

Hehe yeah, as I was watching you swearing at those hose clamps last weekend, I was thinking "I wish I'd brought my hose clamp tool... but I think he'll hit me if I tell him right now" :lol:

The spring clips are cheaper to manufacture than jubilees, weigh less and are easier and quicker to install too (with the correct tool).

I think those are the reason they get used - it's all down to production process and cost. Unfortunately there are a pain to remove - especially without the correct tool.

Good tool Dink, shame it's Draper - their stuff is really pump.

The spring clips are cheaper to manufacture than jubilees, weigh less and are easier and quicker to install too (with the correct tool).

I think those are the reason they get used - it's all down to production process and cost. Unfortunately there are a pain to remove - especially without the correct tool.

theres nowt wrong with draper if you buy draper expert ,

the clip tool is great and the pliers you can get are too

Actually there is a lot wrong with the Draper expert range, I use them at work, the ratchets are bloody awful, things snap far too easily and the air tools are very nasty indeed - so overall I am not impressed.

I would get a set of those pliers for home use mind as they wont be put through as much use as the stuff at work.

Actually there is a lot wrong with the Draper expert range, I use them at work, the ratchets are bloody awful, things snap far too easily and the air tools are very nasty indeed - so overall I am not impressed.

I would get a set of those pliers for home use mind as they wont be put through as much use as the stuff at work.

well air tools i dont use theres i use CP and all my ratchets are britool , do like there vortex sockets and extensions and there torx and spline drives dont really snap any quicker than anyone elses for the money , so i will rephrase not all of there range is naff just 50% of it :)

I've never had a problem with the hose clamps VW (and others) use, I just use a pair or water-pump pliers and they work a treat. Even a cheap pair (like a couple of quid) will do the job just fine.

water pump pliers/mole grips fine..

.........until you find a clip that has been seated facing the wrong or an inconvenient way!!

then this tool would be fantastic....

pb

i swear that when putting my car together someone at Karmann was chuckling to themselves about the way they aligned the hose clamps :lol:

they couldn't of made my bottom rad one any harder, i nearly resorted to cutting the hose with a knife