Sign in to follow this  
Bruno

Where is the Cruise Control vacuum actuator fitted?

I need information from someone who either knows how the cruise control system works on our cars, or who has a late Storm (with all the frills) or a G60 which had it fitted as an option. It was offered as an option in the UK, from 1991 at least. My first two 'rado's had a cruise system fitted.

I'm trying to retrofit a cruise control unit into my third 'rado, a VR6, however I'm stumped on two things:

1. There is a vacuum actuator rod which supposedly bolts onto the top of the throttle pedal, but I cant work out where. The bentley pics are based upon a US layout - where it is meant to bolt into a dedicated eye thats provided at the top of the throttle pedal assembly. On UK cars the pedal doesnt control the throttle directly, instead a set of cantilevers transfer the hooking point of the throttle cable to a point closer to the centreline of the car. If you have a cruise control, where is your actuator fitted?

2. A vacuum line then runs from the actuation unit on the pedals into the wing. In the US its the drivers wing. But on looking there doesnt seem to be a port running between the o/S wing and the cockpit to allow cables and pipes to be routed through to there. So.... if you have a cruise control, does your vacuum pipe run to the nearside wing, or the offside wing?

Im not sure about this but I think I read somewhere that retro fitting cruise control was illegal or something. Not sure about this as lots of people sell kits for mk4 and mk5 golfs.

Im not sure about this but I think I read somewhere that retro fitting cruise control was illegal or something. Not sure about this as lots of people sell kits for mk4 and mk5 golfs.

I've seen that as well. Its really not. Cruise controls which are type approved are entirely legal. Whats important is that the insurance co knows, and that the idiot who thinks its an excuse for more premiums is read the riot act. The Mk4 and Mk5 are fly by wire based systems, essentially plug and play, not much needed in the way of skill to install. Surely someone has a Storm with the cruise system fitted. I've seen old threads of G60 owners with them fitted. Could someone help me out please?

I cant say i've heard of any storms with CC fitted, only US G60's - it might be worth asking on VWvortex?

I cant say i've heard of any storms with CC fitted, only US G60's - it might be worth asking on VWvortex?
Its been a slow process, but from what I can work out:

1. The only place for fitting the extra vacuum domes is behind the n/s wing. There seems to be a vent from the cockpit which allows those pipes to get through.

2. In 1995/6 quite a few Storms were issued complete with headlamp washers and cruise control. As far as I can see (from EKTA) their pedal assembly was the same as the Passat, but I cant be sure.

3. All Corrados (inc the Japanese ones) used a vacuum actuator system for the cruise control. US and other LHD Corrados had a simple, well designed accelerator pedal which came with an eye for the cruise control rod to be added so it could sense movement of the accelerator. However the baseline accelerator lever on a UK 'rado didnt come with the eye. I therefore wonder whether the final Storm versions (not all storms had them) used the 1993/4 Passat pedal.

4. Golfs in the UK (Mk III onwards) had a similar layout to 'rados except that their pedal assembly did provide the extra eye for the cruise control rod, but unfortunately it does not fit a 'rado.

BigPants? You've probably seen lots of these. Suggestions?