Sign in to follow this  
Sonicriot13

MOT booked for Monday!

I'm not sure what to do with the bottom end. It's pretty sound. Just needs a new sump gasket and I want to check the oil pump out after speaking with Stu. One of the guys at work has explained the awesome technique of getting the bottom half of an engine out without it being attached to the top half. I'm gonna get the head off tomorrow and worry about the bottom end later. I can't really think of anything I need to do to it though and I don't want to start messing around with it for the sake of it.

:lol: i like how you ignored the joanne comment :D

Every time i see a scirocco i say to myself 'i want one of them'. But i really would miss the corrado AND what will it be like in 10-15 years time.

People are starting to call me girls names in the course of general conversation over the phone and in person now. Think I'm stuck with it for the rest of my life! :lol:

The new Rocco obviously feels very different to a Rado. They are seperated by 20 years of automotive development after all. It's a little unfair to compare the two really. But I will always need a Rado no matter what other car I have.

from the things you mentioned the only reason you need to take the bottom end out is if you want to clean it all up along with the gearbox maybe along with the engine bay???

Oil pump and gasket can all be done easily from underneath with engine in.

If your going to take it all out it will be much easier to do it all together.

Really good to meet you too mate. We'll have to have a get together or summit once everyone's cars are back together.

Sound like a good idea, i dropped mine off at the bodyshop yesterday. Missing it already. Just got to save pome pennies now for the head rebuild. Pleased yours is coming along quickly.

from the things you mentioned the only reason you need to take the bottom end out is if you want to clean it all up along with the gearbox maybe along with the engine bay???

Oil pump and gasket can all be done easily from underneath with engine in.

If your going to take it all out it will be much easier to do it all together.

Pretty sure I've decided on bottom half staying in. For now.... :lol:

I'm starting to get a clearer picture in my head of what I'm doing with this car now. Which is good. The offer of a replacement cylinder head on OU has helped no end. :D

Wow, fantastic progress Susan! Have you set yourself a time limit for completion? :lol:

Want to get done as soon as I can but at the same time I'm taking it slowly. I've got really far with this project and so far managed to avoid my usual catalogue of errors and I think that's because I've paced myself a lot better than I usually do.

I have a day off today so by the end of today the cylinder head will be off! :cheers:

Update from this morning. I have knackered myself out already. Feel like I need to go back to bed now. Not helped by the fact that it is really dark and rainy today.

Cylinder head is off and stripped. Alternator and charger are off. Here are some pictures:

15mi5cp.jpg

w9v1qe.jpg

2ibonsm.jpg

6gvfqh.jpg

Nice studs....

22es75.jpg

20i97up.jpg

At least I don't need a new water pump. :D

2u5ggpc.jpg

Think I might change this mount. :shock:

do8ak2.jpg

Not a lot left to do now before I start cleaning everything up in the bay. The block is surprisingly good and won't require too much work. Need to drop the subframe out once I can get hold of an engine support and a sling or two. Stu, looks like I may need your subframe after all. Oh, and I need to get the crankshaft pulley bolts off. They a being b*stards, Should have really got them off before now when I had brakes to be honest. :lol: Oh well. Worst case they will just have to wait until that lot is back together again.

Priced up my shopping list of engine and suspension/steering parts. I'm not gonna have much change from 900 quid. And that includes my discount but doesn't include an intercooler or a rad.

Don't expect this car back on the road any rime soon guys!!! :lol:

Thinking what I own that I can sell to raise some cash! :lol:

your ass? :lol:

good progress btw :D

He said £900 not £9.

£8.50 with CF discount.

He said £900 not £9.

£8.50 with CF discount.

My ass is not open to negotiation and it certainly isn't subject to any discount.

Is it meant to be this shape?....

2d9wftw.jpg

Made quite good progress today. There's literally not much left in my engine bay other than the loom, the block and the gear box. I've started the cleaning process too. Will update properly on Sunday. I have shingles and although this is a day off and not a sick day I'm supposed to be resting on girlfriend's orders.... :roll: :lol: :epicfail:

Been spending a lot of time on this car recently. Here are some up to date pictures of the bay. As Mic and Stu have pointed out this afternoon there is little point in not taking the block out now.... So gearbox off soon then.... It will make painting it a lot easier I suppose. And if I don't I'll never hear the end of it! :lol:

qntjep.jpg

o7kpl1.jpg

11brsq0.jpg

Getting the last of the fecked brake lines off tomorrow along with the calipers, drive shafts and hubs. Will then start tidying up the loom. Picked up the sub frame from Stu ready to go to be blasted and powder coated shortly. Reconditioned head will be with me early September so I plan to have most of the bits together ready to start rebuilding by weekend of 12th. :D Gonna just plough into this now. I want my car back!!!!!!

Must be so rewarding to do this with your own two hands!

Will feel so good to drive it again!

Makes me miss my G60!

Must be so rewarding to do this with your own two hands!

Will feel so good to drive it again!

Makes me miss my G60!

It is very rewarding mate. And a lot cheaper too! :lol:

I miss this car sooooo much. All I want to do is drive it. But I've got to remember to take my time and do a good job. I have a habit sometimes of rushing things because I get impatient. I just have to remember it will be worth the slog in the end. :D

I just have to remember it will be worth the slog in the end. :D

Amen to that! :D

Any cheeky perfomance mods or all nice and orignal?

I just have to remember it will be worth the slog in the end. :D

Amen to that! :D

Any cheeky perfomance mods or all nice and orignal?

Nice and original dude. I like the fact that my car is for the most part standard. Original G60s are getting rarer and rarer. People can't handle the slowness! :lol:

When you get the subframe back, borrow a proper air line fed waxoyl gun, put the waxoyl into really hot water until it's really hot itself, and nice and runny, shake it up, and then blast it in through any holes in the subframe and rad support panel, until it the entire inside is covered, some will run out, but mop it up when it dries a bit. IT will be worth it. Too many rad support panels and subframes rust from the inside out becuase the repainting/powdercoating doesn't cover the insides properly....

That's all that's left to remove. The Gearbox and then the block! I'm well excited about it! :D :D :D

Update from today. Removed both drive shafts, hubs and calipers (which I have stripped down ready for a refurb). Also got the last of the brake lines off that need replacing. Will get new ones made up at some point.

It's breaking my heart not being able to drive the thing but I'm so glad I'm doing this. With things going the way they are with parts supplies at VW and also with my life (buying a house soon then kids no doubt) and stuff this will be the last chance I get to do something like this for a while. I just can't wait to take it for a spin with a rebuilt engine and all new suspension parts! The closest I will ever get to knowing what it was like to drive a new Corrado. 8)

ir6j50.jpg

sl7jw4.jpg

dxmczc.jpg

That's all that's left to remove. The Gearbox and then the block! I'm well excited about it! :D :D :D

Update from today. Removed both drive shafts, hubs and calipers (which I have stripped down ready for a refurb). Also got the last of the brake lines off that need replacing. Will get new ones made up at some point.

It's breaking my heart not being able to drive the thing but I'm so glad I'm doing this. With things going the way they are with parts supplies at VW and also with my life (buying a house soon then kids no doubt) and stuff this will be the last chance I get to do something like this for a while. I just can't wait to take it for a spin with a rebuilt engine and all new suspension parts! The closest I will ever get to knowing what it was like to drive a new Corrado. 8)

ir6j50.jpg

sl7jw4.jpg

dxmczc.jpg

Thats it mate, im in the same boat re house and thoughts of children... best to get everything done before then :lol: - you wont have any spare cash afterwards :(

It's not like it's just the money either, it's the time too. I spent five hours on this car yesterday.

Been speaking to the master technician at work about all the stuff we can do to this car. It's gonna be great to have access to a VW workshop. :D :D :D Especially one where the Corrado actually gets the respect it deserves. 8)