Sign in to follow this  
Sonicriot13

MOT booked for Monday!

I've not pooed through a heater vent before....

Anyway. If the wings are otherwise ok, then I'd jenalite them, and paint them well before giving them a good thick coat of the VW underseal/stoneguard. They'll last 3 or 4 years before rotting through. Not ideal, but saves having to get 2 new wings and getting them sprayed right now...

Thats a bit of a git about the wings though - as said above they have not been prepped at all properly, should also be sealed to the car so usually take a bit of work to get off.

Yep, should defo have been sealed to the car. So even if it didn't have the sticker on still I would have known they'd been replaced. Whoever did this spray job was a bodge merchant anyhow going by the amount of overspray and orange peel.

Dealer 650 on the sticker is the same dealer that supplied and serviced the car. I forget exactly where it was now. Think it was in Wales.

The other thing as well that I've found out is that my car was clocked. I did an HPI check and it said there was a mileage discrepancy but didn't give any more information than that. Now I have access to Dialog I can see that it went in for a service in 1993 with a recorded mileage of 40,000 at which point it disappears from VWs radar. I have in my possession the very first MOT certificate which records the mileage a year later in 1994 to be 20,000. So I'm guessing as it has a digital clock that it's swapped clocks at some point with a scrapper or something or had replacement clocks that haven't been recorded properly in the history. It was doing 20k a year from new for the first two years at least so my 120,000 mile G60 is potentially a 160,000 mile G60. Not that it really matters now anyway! :lol:

I have a day off tomorrow! :cheers:

Picking up the stuff from the powder coaters. I've just finished cleaning up the calipers ready for paint tomorrow. Need to clean up the hubs and carriers next. Got some new tie rods, boots, and ends coming tomorrow ready to go on to the steering rack and some new bolts and screws for the arch liners. :D

With any luck I'll be able to but up some pictures of me actually putting something back together tomorrow! :clap: :D 8)

Blimey. I never checked its history :camp: . So it had done what, 140k on the original charger?!!!! That's a record, surely!

Who knows what it had done! :lol: I know soooo much about this car now. It's had a really colourful past! But I quite like it. It adds to the character of it. 8)

I have the name of the first owner and he was putting 20k a year on it and owned it for three years. So when it went for it's first MOT it was actually on 60,000 miles but the cert says 20,000! :lol: I think the fact that it was clocked is the reason why it never went back to VW for a service after that. It had its first and second service at the supplying dealer but that's all. It also explains why the original service book is gone (the one in the pack is a replacement with no stamps in it!) and there are no receipts from the first owner.

After that it's really just the history you can piece together from all the invoices and stuff. I've not noticed anything about the replacement wings and respray so that is still a mystery and will probably stay that way! The work was obviously carried out by the supplying dealer (650) so it must have been done about 15 years ago. Amazing that sticker has stayed there all that time!

After a bit of torque and copious thread lock the sub frame is on. :cheers: The new ARB bushes were a reassuringly tight fit. Can't wait to try out the handling when it's done.

zles7l.jpg

24xp4ap.jpg

Also today I tidied up the loom and painted the calipers, carriers, hubs, and drive shafts. :D Need to sort out some new brake lines next.

really liking this thread (been keeping an eye for a while now) and your attention to detail.

keep it coming.

they're not red/pink!, but the wings from my rado were in perfect nick (had to cut the original underseal to get them off :cry: ) besian off here has got them now, so if he's not using them he may well sell them to you for a decent price if you ask him...

top work :clap:

That does look forking tidy now Phillipa. Really impressed with how you've cleaned the bay up. :)

That does look forking tidy now Phillipa. Really impressed with how you've cleaned the bay up. :)

+1 Yvonne. Its looking really good. 8)

Errrrmmmm

I don't want to upset you, but.....

You can't fit the PAS rack with the subframe in place, unless you remove the steering column. you need space to lower the steering column UJ onto the rack.

Errrrmmmm

You can't fit the PAS rack with the subframe in place, unless you remove the steering column. you need space to lower the steering column UJ onto the rack.

good point matey!

you're best off assembling th subframe as a oner before you put it all back on.

i.e lower arms, engine mounts, arb, rack etc etc

just lift it into place with a trolley jack underneath it to support it :)

oh, and count yourself lucky you've got the engine out to line the splines up for the rack with with column - i had to do that with the vr engine in situ - PITA!

Thanks for all the positive comments guys. Really appreciate it! :D

Errrrmmmm

Threat not gallanting young Sir Toad of Winchester. Ye olde steering column is coming out.

There was always too much play in the steering for my liking so I want to get the column out and inspect it for crapness and overhaul as necessary.

I see what you're saying Pete_Griff, would have been better to do it all in one go. But it won't be too much bother with the engine removed as you say and sticking the wish bones on with the frame in place will be easy too.

Another update on Sunday! :cheers:

Oh cool, that's not bad! Mind you me and Steve (supercharged) were thinking last night that there isn't really much to a bottom end. Still I had visions of the bearings being ridiculous money.

Oh cool, that's not bad! Mind you me and Steve (supercharged) were thinking last night that there isn't really much to a bottom end. Still I had visions of the bearings being ridiculous money.

Too true. Rings, main and thrust and big end bearings, little end bearings and C-clips, intermediate shaft seal, crank seal (both ends), a few gaskets and that's about it. New oil pump would be a must though, if you are rebuilding the bottom end, along with a new sump (not overly expensive) and gasket....job done. Stick a windage tray in there from a TDI as well.

Dooooo it!

Yeah

feck all to them.

That price obviously didn't include rings mind.

Bang another 100+ on there for those.

Looking good bud,but are you going to leave on the heavy chunck of pig iron on the subframe? :wink:

Short answer? Yes. :lol: I want to keep this car as standard as I can really. Mainly because not many other people have. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing but someone has to keep it as VW intended I feel. :D I know it's only a counter weight or whatever but it might as well stay there.

Got loads of bits ready to go on at the weekend. Got all the bits to overhaul the front brakes and steering rack. And I stole another one of these from work today....

z79tx.jpg

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Had a race with one of these on my way home, I won. :D

But it was a close thing 100mph all the way round Brackley ring road, the guy driving gave me a BIG thumps up as we parted company