Sign in to follow this  
andy35554

respray aftercare

My vr6 is currently having a full respray. I have been reading on the detailing websites on care of the paint once i get it back and there are so many conflicting views... i want to keep the paint in tip top condition so what do i do for the best with fresh paint?

heres a pic ready for rub down

If u dont mind me asking how much for the respray ? as i just been quoted ......wait for it.....£5100..... :shock: :shock:

and my car aint in bad nic at the mo.

its all about how the car is finished, dont want to start a war or anything but cheap resprays usually consist of filling all the dent with cheapo filler which will sink/crack in a few years and the job will need doing again. also i had the car de-orangepeeled and the paint is like glass. looks better than new and will stay that way for as long as i can keep it away from tesco's carparks!

Thats it exactly , i wet sanded and polished mine when i got it but that was three years ago now ,i was always gonna get it repainted and its getting near that time but dunno whether i can justify 5k on a repaint . :cuckoo:

TBH i wouldnt spend silly money on a respray for a daily driver, mine is only for use at weekends at it is a 2nd car (got the VR6 as a daily) i have easily spent over £20k on the G60 at the moment and its not even finished. My objective with it was to do everything once and dso it right, hence not wanting to get a cheap respray which would need doing again in a few years if the filler/ paint started to look dodgy. If i were you i'd find somewhere that would do the job for no more than £2500. that seems to be the going rate for a 'normal' respray these days...

My vr is not my daily ,and to be honest dont mind paying for good paint job the trouble is finding a good body shop who you can trust to do the job right .

i still think 6.5k on a paint job is a bit ott IMO :shock: i just be worried about driving it anywhere :nono:

can any of you who have had resprays recommend where you had them done as im looking to get mine resprayed

thanks

Going vaguely back on topic... :p

I've been told you shouldn't wax the car for 3 months after you get it back - the paint will still be soft and lots of rubbing of wax could well cause fine scratches in the paint. Otherwise, no idea...

Going vaguely back on topic... :p

I've been told you shouldn't wax the car for 3 months after you get it back - the paint will still be soft and lots of rubbing of wax could well cause fine scratches in the paint. Otherwise, no idea...

Second that. No wax or polish afaik and definately no T-cutting - not that you should have to.

What about just washing the car though, is that ok?

I think it all depends on whether the car was baked after the respray. If it was i think its safe to wax fairly soon but if it wasnt then you have to wait a few months for the paint to fully harden.

:roll: If the car has been painted properly, baked, re fitted and "spun up" with a buffer and compound then why cant you polish it?????????????????

Imo that is a load of twoddle, if the paint/laquer has not hardened you need to use a different bodyshop! or stop painting things on your driveway!! on old type cellulose paint finishes that may have been the case, but with 2k and new water based paints with laquer it makes no odds, besides most resprays will take a couple of weeks, so the paint has loads of time to cure before the car is even reffited and prepped to be returned to you, well if its a decent bodyshop that is :grin:

My advice > Ask the person you've just paid to paint it for you.

Internet forums are a minefield of people giving information out when they haven't really got a clue, if you ask the paintshop then you're not only getting advice from someone who actually knows what they're on about through first hand experience as a professional, but you'll also have a leg to stand on if you did do the wrong thing and mess up the paintwork - if you go and polish off the new paint after taking advice from an armchair expert with an internet degree, your painter isn't going to rectify it for free is he!?! :eek: