StueyB

StueyBs '95 VR6: Thread resurrection circa 2011...

Hey guys/girls,

Been lerking around the forum for a number of months now since I bought myself a 'C'. Thought I was well overdue for posting some pics.

I'll start things off with the old motor, some may have seen it about:

n821990231_1741416_8386.jpg

Came from the Polo Camp previous so was a quite an upgrade to a VR as you can imagine. The upgrade came in the form of a 1995 Aqua Blue VR...

raddo01.jpg

raddo02.jpg

raddo03.jpg

Three previous murders, 109k when i bought it. Full VAG service history up til last, spent most of its life near Milton Keynes only for the last owner to take it to Wales. (Guess where i live? yep Milton Keynes way.) Took around 1100 miles of traveling to view 7 corrado's across four days including 2 x 400 mile roundtrips to view and eventually pick up the above example but was definitely worth it.

No major noticable changes yet but a lot of maintenance carried out behind the scenes and a couple a trick interior bits.

Did oil, filter and sump gasket change when i first bought it, cured minor oil leak immediately.....yey!

05-01-08_1122NoPlate.jpg

Then came new throttle body elbow and oil breather pipe, camshaft sensor, clutch slave cylinder, clutch cylinder pipe and main dash surround which have tidy'd up the previous owner issues (VAG Parts naturally). Grooved black diamond discs and ebc greenstuff pads upfront to see off questionable brakes (graunching noises are not good with all that grunt). Full set of 205/50/15 Toyo T1-R's have been ordered today to replace grey old worn out rubber.

As far as the interior goes, the 280mm wheel has been complimented by a new Audi gearknob, brushed alloy shaft and gaitor grafted into the existing surround. Along with some bling door pins and heater control rings to finish things off.

That about brings me up to present. Been enjoying the driving experience since Dec '07 despite the under estimated running costs.

Hope you enjoyed the read and keep an eye out for updates as i have big plans.

raddo04.jpg

Oh and it can be done, even at the young age of 24 - you just have to be gentle.

Edited by StueyB

young :p you old git im 22 still :p lol

:D i had 35.5 outof mine when i first got it, havent seen it since like lol.

she looks a beaut mate! keep up the good work - always handy if you mechanically minded :)

That looks well clean, love it!!!!

Mine has a slight oil leak too, was yours leaking from sump gasket as we cant see where mine is comin from even when up in the air??

hey man looking good 8)

glad to see another corrado around bedford! havent seen yours around much but then i havent been to flitwick for a while :lol: theres 3 other clean corrados around bedford/luton way... this makes 4... awesome :D

:D i had 35.5 outof mine when i first got it, havent seen it since like lol.

she looks a beaut mate! keep up the good work - always handy if you mechanically minded :)

22 - not bad bet your insurance is nice. Think all the other raddo owners i've met so far have been a lot older than me.

I'm also fortunate to have a SAAB technician for a brother (pictured above).

That looks well clean, love it!!!!

Mine has a slight oil leak too, was yours leaking from sump gasket as we cant see where mine is comin from even when up in the air??

Was originally leaking quite bad from the sump gasket, replacing this then caused it to leak from the next weakest point which was the filter housing but a little sealant and a retighten of an affending bolt has now stopped it completely. Certainly a great piece of mind job. Recommened. Genuine sump gasket was around 38 inc VAT from VAG. :grin:

hey man looking good 8)

glad to see another corrado around bedford! havent seen yours around much but then i havent been to flitwick for a while :lol: theres 3 other clean corrados around bedford/luton way... this makes 4... awesome :D

Heyhey a local. I've seen a few floating around, been flashed by one on the way out of Flitwick a few months back. Met Nigel in Leagrave (Mulberry Purple VR on Carmonas = lush) and my mate Josh is in St Albans regions but thats about it. Let me know if your in the area any time mate. :wave:

Very nice that is, the paint looks mint.

Great colour too... :wink:

Paint was pretty dead when i got it, still needs a good detail but a quick polish bought it up nice. Thanks.

hey man looking good 8)

Heyhey a local. I've seen a few floating around, been flashed by one on the way out of Flitwick a few months back. Met Nigel in Leagrave (Mulberry Purple VR on Carmonas = lush) and my mate Josh is in St Albans regions but thats about it. Let me know if your in the area any time mate. :wave:

Yeah i work round the corner from nigel, lovely looking blackberry vr, especially now with smoothed rear and pulled arches 8) Theres an aqua blue Vr on polished tt comps that lives in barton just down the road from you, thats Keiran (keiranM on here) The manager of formula 1 autocentre in bedford, Malcom has a black vr6 thats just had new paint and is in the middle of a serious modified rebuild, then theres a super low aqua blue g60 owned by a guy called paul i think hee works at a mountain bike shop in the town centre... so slowly the numbers are coming up :) ... if your free thursday night man i'll be popping to the hemel nomads vw meet, i can come out your way on the way down and show you the way if you like? josh (mariojoshi?) is normally there with his green beastie and jon(vwdeviant) in his perl ghey valver + a lot of other laid pback vw peeps

Yeah why not, Josh mentioned going down so be good to cruise down with someone.

I'll drop you a pm with my number.

Stu

doing alright on the insurance, just my renewal back, about £580 Fully Comp for the year :D

Whaaaa thats well good, who you with and how many years no claims?

alright fella, welcome to the forum, where friends are made, arguements beguin, convoys arranged and where we generally bunk off work to have a bit of banter..........

I look forward to seeing the updates on the motor!

And less of the old guys, i was 25 on friday and i feel very old!!! :tongue:

Best Age...Lookin good Stu, U stil gonna be putting the solitudes on?

doing alright on the insurance, just my renewal back, about £580 Fully Comp for the year :D

:shock: Thats almost half mine :(

Best Age...Lookin good Stu, U stil gonna be putting the solitudes on?

:shock: Thats almost half mine :(

Solitudes will go on eventually, need a refurb and some lairy paint i feel.

Quote shocked me too. Mines around a grand without price comparison work yet.

alright fella, welcome to the forum, where friends are made, arguements beguin, convoys arranged and where we generally bunk off work to have a bit of banter..........

I look forward to seeing the updates on the motor!

And less of the old guys, i was 25 on friday and i feel very old!!! :tongue:

Sounds like the perfect forum 2 me. A refreshing change from the state of Clubpolo these days, but don't tell that lot.

More younger owners on here than i thought. Or maybe its me wishing i was 18 again.

Cheers for the warm welcome.

Rubber has arrived, 4 new Toyo T1-R's going on saturday:

P040608_1851.jpg

OEM Interior pimping, well chuffed with this mod:

P010608_2019.jpg

are them cds blanks......... :grin:

welcome matey loverly looking thing you got there aqua is def the way to go

tlking of young fellas im 20 and my insurence is 400 full comp but obviosly mines only the tame 2.0 ltr...

good to see ya tho

L :salute:

im with flux atm. gonna check out Chris Knott tho see if they can do any better :)

ive got 5 yrs no claims, no convictions, accident not at fault, girlfriend on the insurance BUT ive got it to 5000miles per year and £500 excess :)

im with flux atm. gonna check out Chris Knott tho see if they can do any better :)

ive got 5 yrs no claims, no convictions, accident not at fault, girlfriend on the insurance BUT ive got it to 5000miles per year and £500 excess :)

i'm 22 to :D my renewal with 2 yrs ncb and no mods 5000 miles and commuting with an accident on the record 3 years ago was 670 FC with Bell... but that's without an agreed value and although they will cover mods they will replace with standard.. Martin at HIC did me an wesome deal with everything named, 5k a year agreed value etc, £900 (800 ish without the carbon seats :mad2: never mind!)

car looks nice, where did you get the gear knob from?? exactly the kinda look i think suits the corrado, very OEM but updated!

car looks nice, where did you get the gear knob from?? exactly the kinda look i think suits the corrado, very OEM but updated!

Looks like its off an Audi A4??

Cheers man, was the look i was going for with the mod.

Looks like its off an Audi A4??

Almost this particular one is off an A3 S-Line, (tis nice to have mates in the trade).

Right, time for a serious update guys and girls.

Been a busy month or so. Managed to get the mods rolling along nicely with some more maintenance to boot (it).

Had a full week off work at the end of June and we (myself and helpful bro) set about 'the transformation' as i like to call it.

I'll let the pics do the talking.

Part 1 - Waterpump, Aux Belt and Coolant change.

Nice little parts order from VAG set us up well.

theWeekOff01.jpg

theWeekOff02.jpg

So glad we changed the 'snakey' belt, as you can see it had some nice chunks missing, revealing the belt inners. Not to sure how long that would have lasted before letting me down. Add in the fact a friends MK3 VR broke down the other day due to a snapped belt i felt safe in the knowledge this was being replaced. :)

theWeekOff03.jpg

Waterpump finally out, relatively straight forward with only one minor heart in the mouth moment when one of the pump bolts started rounding off. New bolts had been bought tho which would have been a serious life saver had the bolt sheared. I couldn't quite believe how much abuse the actually pump took before finally freeing from the block. Being an exchange item, i was hoping they wouldn't check it to find chucks of the casing missing. Oops?!?!? :nuts:

theWeekOff04.jpg

New Vs Old, thankfully all blades in tact on the old one but one crunchy, werring bearing so another part caught before failure.

theWeekOff05.jpg

Drain, coolant, drain!

theWeekOff06.jpg

All back together with bolts torqued up. Kinda wish i'd got me one of the Gruvenparts pulley's now. Oh well. :(

theWeekOff07.jpg

Belt back on and tensioned, coolant replaced and ready for a quick bonnet less test run. :norty:

theWeekOff08.jpg

Part 2 - Clutch, main oil seal and Coilies - yeah!

Some would argue that we were a little mad for attempting this without a lot of prep but i had faith in my bro's ability being a almost fully qualified SAAB tech so we thought hey, whats the worst that can happen. Famous last words any one? :shock:

So this happened:

theWeekOff09.jpg

and a few hours later we'd acheived this nice little parts whoring stash.

theWeekOff10.jpg

My want to take photos demished once we'd got into the tricky stuff and so there's probably a few missing in here but i certainly found the desire to take one when this little bad boy was free.

theWeekOff11.jpg

Old clutch was well and truly fooked, i'm surprised it had been performing as well as it had with only minor slippage at the top end considering i was almost down to the rivets.

theWeekOff12.jpg

Nice shiny new LUK clutch. £75 nicker at the mo of ECP online, which i thought was a bit of a bargain considering i'd paid £110 for a sach Polo GT clutch a year or so from them.

theWeekOff13.jpg

Main oil seal was next on the hit list as it was clear as more things came off, that is was the bigger source of my oil leak.

Chains were sounding pretty damn quiet since i've had it. On closer inspection they seemed fine so they were left for now. :roll:

theWeekOff14.jpg

This has to be the shot whole 'transformation' for me, really felt like we were 'parting out' the car apposed to fixing it before the box came out. So many bolts and so much to contend with. I really felt at times we'd bitten off more than we could chew.

theWeekOff15.jpg

Anybody for parts?

theWeekOff16.jpg

Once the seal had been fitted, the box was back on (never known a box to just pop on like it did, so happy!) and subframes and drive shafts were re attached if was time for the fun stuff. Anti 4x4 stance here we come. :clap: :clap: :clap:

theWeekOff17.jpg

Oooo yeah, no bonnet, rake stance ftw, if only we could legally drive it like that... :norty: ... :hitler: ... :grin:

theWeekOff18.jpg

Dreaded arch gap considerably decreased.

theWeekOff19.jpg

And the final product, well partial final product. More exterior mods pics to come.

theWeekOff20.jpg

All in all, it was the worth 3+ day effort, new clutch is awesome in everyway, coilovers have improved the ride no end. I'd even go as far as saying its rides better than standard imo. Almost like buying a new car. Chuffed to bits. I'll wack up some more pics of the exterior mods i did on the thursday but for now i'll let the 'click for pics lot' enjoy.

Stu

well done mate youv'e got more guts than me :salute: i would take 3 months to do that!

wish i had a garage like that in fact any garage would be good at the mo!

Mmmmmm if only I knew 1 end of a spanner from the other...... Well done though, certainly looks like you knows yer onions. I'm loving the Audi gear knob, was it a straight swap or did it involve some voodoo trickery to get it to fit?

Rich

I'm loving the Audi gear knob, was it a straight swap or did it involve some voodoo trickery to get it to fit?

Rich

Fairy dust...... actually.